Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 02:09 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
No one cares down here about the environmental impact of all this development. I may not have known all the facts about this island, but whatever.

My point is that the remaining islands (and land) should not be for sale. We are not homesteading here, we don't have enough land. These guys didn't seem to know they were even buying an island!

We need some green space down here! The developers would build on a cemetery, that's how much they care about your precious Tampa Bay! When they run out of available land, that will be next. Or they will dredge and add land to the coastline.

Enjoy your lovely hovel in the sunshine. I'm hoping to leave soon, and it can't come quick enough!
There is no "environmental impact" to speak of for this island. It's nothing more than fill from dredging of the shipping channels in Tampa Bay. For that matter, the fact that someone is not going to be taking care of it, profit making or not, is a good thing. Prior to this it was a public nuisance that was full of trash and other detritus from the constant partying of the locals who would go out, anchor next to it, and carry on all weekend.

This is not land that will be developed for housing or retail development, so it's silly to even make that comparison. There isn't any "green space" on it other than parts that have large indigenous plants. Taking that tack, it's a good thing since it's adding more plants, right?

For that matter, most of the islands in Tampa Bay are nothing more than fill from dredging, so they're not naturally occurring, either.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 02:32 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
Quote:
No one cares down here about the environmental impact of all this development. I may not have known all the facts about this island, but whatever.

My point is that the remaining islands (and land) should not be for sale. We are not homesteading here, we don't have enough land. These guys didn't seem to know they were even buying an island!

We need some green space down here! The developers would build on a cemetery, that's how much they care about your precious Tampa Bay! When they run out of available land, that will be next. Or they will dredge and add land to the coastline.

Enjoy your lovely hovel in the sunshine. I'm hoping to leave soon, and it can't come quick enough!
You are reflective of what so many people do, just randomly post without taking the time to even know what they are harping about. BTW, the time that I spent looking for information was about 37.5 seconds, so didn't take long. I'd guess it took you longer to write up the post, which perhaps would have been avoided if you spent the 37.5 seconds like I did.

Not sure what remaining islands you are talking about, perhaps sand bar is more appropriate. If you read the article I posted (I did spend 37.5 seconds to find it, so please reward me by actually reading it), you'll see that the "island" is only a fraction of the size it used to be.

Quote:
The island was once 23 acres, Loomis said, so Tiki Bay Island also owns the 16 acres now underwater. They hope the regular sand replenishment can help them with their plan to one day grow the island.
I'm sure the other significant land masses you are so worried about are result of similar dredging efforts. But I'll let you spend 37.5 seconds to research that further.

Please let us know when you plan your departure as I'm sure it will signify the start of a downward spiral for the Tampa area economy.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
For that matter, the fact that someone is not going to be taking care of it, profit making or not, is a good thing.
Did you mean to say "that someone is now going to be taking care of it"? If so, I agree!

Old 04-12-2018, 04:48 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Quote:
The developers would build on a cemetery, that's how much they care about your precious Tampa Bay!
If you don't like the development down here, there are many other areas around the US you could look into. Might I suggest Alabama?

Old 04-12-2018, 08:15 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Did you mean to say "that someone is now going to be taking care of it"? If so, I agree!
Yes, thanks for the clarification.

RM

Old 04-13-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Yes, thanks for the clarification.

RM
I also make than mental typing error, not sure why though.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:17 AM

240 posts, read 286,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
You are reflective of what so many people do, just randomly post without taking the time to even know what they are harping about. BTW, the time that I spent looking for information was about 37.5 seconds, so didn't take long. I'd guess it took you longer to write up the post, which perhaps would have been avoided if you spent the 37.5 seconds like I did.

Not sure what remaining islands you are talking about, perhaps sand bar is more appropriate. If you read the article I posted (I did spend 37.5 seconds to find it, so please reward me by actually reading it), you'll see that the "island" is only a fraction of the size it used to be.

I'm sure the other significant land masses you are so worried about are result of similar dredging efforts. But I'll let you spend 37.5 seconds to research that further.

Please let us know when you plan your departure as I'm sure it will signify the start of a downward spiral for the Tampa area economy.
Thanks snarky.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:04 PM

79 posts, read 76,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
"The new owners promise to keep it free while adding a few touches for safety."

It's 2018 and reading is hard.
Not being a jerk on a forum must be hard too lol. So how is it no longer free? They are only charging for using the bathroom and for camping. It's still free to visit the island... Did you not understand that part of the announcement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay