Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:13 AM

162 posts, read 329,444 times

Advertisements

My son plays travel baseball here in NJ and it is just about year round. Well in the winter we have indoor practices, not games. I'm not sure if he's good enough to make a Florida team (I assume they are pretty good since they play a lot more than he does!), but we would try out. I'm glad to know that he won't be playing in the dead of the heat possibly!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 02:57 PM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
I can't speak for baseball, but my youngest son was on a traveling soccer team for a while, and they did not play year 'round, however, they did practice year 'round.

RM

Old 04-20-2018, 07:33 AM

41 posts, read 31,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
No worries. While moving away from family and friends is certainly stressful, the lifestyle here is not terribly different from the one you're currently leading - that's what seems to confuse some people who come here with "vacation" on the brain.

I've described it as this when discussing it with friends and family from outside the area:

My days are little to no different than they were when I lived in (insert previous domicile location). I go to work, the kids go to school, we come home, go to soccer practice, run errands, etc. Weekends are spent in a similar manner.

What's different? I don't have to deal with climate related issues that might exist such as snow, inclement weather, etc. When I come home and have some time I can relax on the lanai by my pool, or go to the beach on the weekend if my schedule permits.

We don't go to Disney or Busch Gardens every weekend, just as we wouldn't have visited local attractions at our previous home.

In short, it's no different than where we used to live, only a bit nicer due to the climate. Our days are pretty much the same.

RM
Yes, this sums it up very well and is similar to our experience the past 2 years...particularly the last sentence. Only difference is our kids had grown up and moved out on their own before we moved.
It's what you can do in your free time that is different...and IMO there is so much more to offer here for activities than what we had up North. Summer in Syracuse was May/June to September, then it was close everything up and prep for winter. We get to play year round down here.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rHop View Post
Yes, this sums it up very well and is similar to our experience the past 2 years...particularly the last sentence. Only difference is our kids had grown up and moved out on their own before we moved.
It's what you can do in your free time that is different...and IMO there is so much more to offer here for activities than what we had up North. Summer in Syracuse was May/June to September, then it was close everything up and prep for winter. We get to play year round down here.
I am hoping our quality of life changes with the move. Right now, you're right. We are active during the summer months, but when winter hits, its difficult to do anything besides movies, tv, etc. I know summers will be HOT in Florida, but I am hoping that we can get the kids more active, and us too. Besides the sun helps ALL 5 of us with being happier.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:57 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Don’t let the fear of hot summers scare you.

While yes, it’s hot here in the summer time, I grew up in the Midwest where August temperatures were well into the 90s and the humidity was oppressive. It’s no worse here, it just lasts longer, that’s all.

And as people do with winter up north, you do here. Swim, do things inside during the hottest parts of the day, etc., etc. In other words, you adapt.

RM

Old 04-20-2018, 12:18 PM

41 posts, read 31,285 times
Exactly, again MortonR hits the nail on the head.
Our 1st summer here I adapted very quickly....trial by fire so to speak. Had an accident in the gym late June and spent 6 weeks on crutches. We were still out and about....went to a Bacon festival in 97 degree heat.....yes it was brutal but come'on....it was a BACON festival!
Too much to do that you won't want to miss out on, you'll figure out a way!

Old 04-23-2018, 08:16 AM

YES! I live in NJ. Our Augusts are HOT and humid. So much so that we do Disney every August for the time before Labor Day since that's usually when free dining is. Yes, it's hot but we plan swimming and air conditioned restaurants for the afternoon and hit the parks at night and mornings. Works like a charm!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:02 AM

261 posts, read 260,776 times
Lived in Jersey a few years when I was in high school, but grew up in PA. Since Uturns are illegal in Jersey and its jughandles at every intersection. You might be in a rude awakening Driving in Brandon Florida.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:07 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
You might be in a rude awakening Driving in Brandon Florida.

Or driving on any major roadway during rush hour in Tampa Bay you will have a rude awakening.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:16 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
This all true...lived In NJ the summers here dont phase me as NJ Summers arent any better..

The Driving here well that is totally different Story...Yikes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay