Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 AM

67 posts, read 238,261 times

Advertisements

2 years ago I bought in a 55+ about 100 miles form Tampa. Like most, I did what I thought was due diligence, only to find that developer's promises, home construction quality, etc. were not what I was led to believe. That said...I am looking to move. Last week I visited Valencia Lakes and came away quite impressed. Before taking the next step I was hoping that some who resides there, or has unbiased knowledge of Valencia Lakes could help answer some questions.

Has the quality of the construction as good as advertised? Where I am now has been a myriad of issues (cracks in slab, cracks in stucco, etc) and I do not want to experience that again. When issues do pop up, has GL Homes been responsive to address construction issues?

Have residents had any issues with external noise issues? Where I am there are 100+ flights a week by small planes over the development. Turns out there is an "airlane" (not disclosed by developer) directly above the neighborhood.

Can you hear your Valencia Lakes neighbor's heat pump?

Pricing? I see a big disparity between the "base price" and the listed price for move-in ready homes. I looked at a home with a base of $191K that was listed at 218K. Is this due to lot premium? Do you know how substantial are the incentives or is GL getting close to the list price?

What about costs for such things as utilities and water? The sales rep could not provide me with these (?)

Thats about it for now. I would really appreciate any help from anyone who knows Valencia Lakes....THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 12:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
Which models did you review? There are villa models (duplex) that I can share a couple of things with you. The single homes are more expensive and may have other issues that I'm unaware of.

There are no aviation flight patterns over the community. Occasionally a MacDill AFB tanker or Air Force One may fly over, but very rarely.

There is some road traffic noise from nearby US 301, but that depends on what lot you're located on. I'd recommend living further in to the community - for security reasons as well. I haven't heard of any break-ins over the last year, but common sense tells you that the homes bordering US 301 are likely the easiest target.

Approximately 5-6 homes that were built in 2005-6 (single structures, not the villas) unfortunately had Chinese dry-wall and GL Homes is taking care of those customers completely (temporary housing, storage of furniture, reimbursements, temp moving expenses, etc). The remainder of the homes should have been tested - so it would be in important step to ask for proof of no drywall or have your own inspection for other than new homes, imo. The villas don't have dry wall problems like the homes built when Chinese drywall was an issue.

HOA fees allow you to use fitness, resort style pool, provide landscaping, basic cable, home security alarms, partial gated community (after hours). The villas have additional fees to cover structure external insurance, high pressure washing, outdoor irrigation, and painting every 5 yrs. The single home has a less expensive HOA fee of $200-270, while the villa runs about $370 right now. I do not know of any Association financial issues or problems (GL Homes is our HOA until about 1,000 units are sold, then residents take over the responsibility).

There are a lot of social groups, tennis clubs, art, cooking, fitness, travel, photo, womens and mens groups, fishing clubs, etc. You may be able to live here if you're under 55 yr old as long as you don't have anyone under 18 yrs old living in the household (of course they can visit).

Villas h20 bill=$30-50, Villa elect $50-70.

Construction wise, no problems with construction after 1+ yr. Only had to call in the repair guys twice - for kitchen cabinets being a little lose and the toilet flush mechanism needing adjustment.

A couple of irritants.....the air conditioner is centrally located in my model and although brandnew, makes "white noise" that I've become used to. Also, sometimes I can hear my next door neighbor's TV during the day (very faintly) - he's hard of hearing and requires the volume to be higher. Meet your roofmate if you're interested in a villa. The homes are relatively close together and often the windows are face to face with your neighbor - another design flaw, imo.

The neighborhood is usually "dress right dress" (military phrase meaning neat and orderly) - I like that.

Lots of sidewalks for walkers, runners, bikers, nice pool and fitness rooms/equipment. Beautiful tennis (eight lighted hardtru courts).

I feel very secure and enjoy the community. The residents are from all walks of life - many are very accomplished in their professions (NASA, military, CEOs, etc).

Don't be influenced by the model homes - they've added thousands of dollars of extras. That's how they entice you - I can't comment on the single dwelling home prices but have seen the homes on my street appreciate in value. Last week a home sold for $40k more than my unit. I'm sure they had tons of upgrades that I can live without. I have a barebones package without a lot premium. In my opinion, the lot premium isn't worth it some of the villas back up to a conservation area or a medium sized pond - neither of that appeal to me. I'm happy with my premium free lot.

Drop me a p.m. if you have any other questions.

Also visit Kings Point around the corner from Valencia Lakes - nice gated community and cheaper HOA in addition to plenty of golf.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 PM

67 posts, read 238,261 times
Thanks so much for taking the time to address in detail the issues I posed. I prefer the Amalfi single family unit. I am sensitive to noise so a villa would not be for me. I am surprised that there is any increase in value. Here in Ocala...the homes in my development are selling for 15% less after a little more than a year. Even the developer has had to lower prices.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 AM

BTW, flovachon.com is someone who may know more about VL and SCC - her site has a listing of homes. She may be helpful to field any questions you might have about the South Shore area of Tampa.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 22,691 times
Default Valencia Lakes - Wimaugh

I have also looked at home in Valencia Lakes online and was impressed with the layouts and look of the homes. However what is the city of Wimaugh like? Are there restaurants and shops? How far to the nearest mall?

Last edited by tropica_gal; 07-15-2011 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-15-2011, 10:05 AM

Valencia Lakes is situated near Wimauma but I wouldn't consider it part of Wimauma. It's included in the zip code for postal reasons only. People from VL don't go to Wimauma to hang out and "do things". It is closer to Sun City Center (around the corner on US 301). Think of it as a suburb of Tampa - about 20 mins drive to downtown Tampa. Nearest large mall is in Brandon about 10-15 mins away by car up I-75. Shops are in Ellenton, Brandon, St Pete (30 mins), Tampa, Bradenton, Sarasota, etc. Basic needs are nearby w/ Walmart, Sams, several Publix, Sweetbay, Winn Dixie, etc. (3-5 miles away). Nicest beaches (Anna Marie Island) about 30-45 mins away. I'd recommend VL for the amenities, quiet lifestyle, social activies, other stuff geared toward 55+. Kings Point has the same stuff as well, but the residents seem older than VL. Good luck w/ your decision.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 20,882 times
Default Valencia Lakes

Thanks to all of you for posting this information. We, too, are looking at this area and have some concerns. Mostly about the homeowners associations - have the fees gone up consistently since you moved in? They are a little high in VL compared to other communities we have looked at. Are the properties selling? It seems like GL keeps building but there are a lot of empty properties.

Thanks for any insights you can give on these issues.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 AM

Homes seem to be selling very well.

My HOA fees have gone up $30 over 3 yrs. You'll have to break down what you get for the fees to see if you think they're too high (maintenance of lawns, basic cable, security, pool, tennis courts, clubhouse, etc etc).

Old 06-29-2013, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 17,763 times
Purchased a new tivoli model about 4 months ago..Love it here..quiet great people..well constructed and big bang for the buck..i see these homes worth alot more in the future as the area grows..i give velencia lakes 5stars...

Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 AM

Curious what you're thoughts are about being relatively out, away from Tampa, ST P, Sarasota/Bradenton - near a few grocery stores/Walmart (Wimauma). Not much out there at VL is there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay