Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:16 AM

79 posts, read 76,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I am a native Floridian who has lived here off and on; also lived in Boston, DC, LA, Austin, NYC.

If you are the least bit intolerant to heat/humidity, you will not last here.

If you hate giant reptiles (gators, pythons, etc.) and bugs (mosquitoes, roaches, etc.), you will not last here.

If you are annoyed by paying high insurance premiums (home, auto, etc.), you will not last here.

If you are annoyed by paying high taxes, you will not last here (although we do not have a state income tax).

If you are annoyed by traffic and choose to live far from work, you will not last here.

If you care about the quality of public education (for your kids), you will not last here.

If you care about the quality of public transit, you will not last here.

If you are a foodie and love going to gourmet upscale markets and restaurants, you may be disappointed by Tampa Bay's culinary scene.

If you are from a big city and love going to museums, theater, arts, concerts, spas, you may be disappointed by the choices in Tampa Bay.

If you are from a small city and love going to museums, theater, arts, concerts, spas, you may love the choices in Tampa Bay.

If you are accustomed to top-tier universities and all they have to offer, then you may be disappointed by USF in various ways.

If you are accustomed to small-town/rural living, then you will be turned off by Tampa Bay's many MANY gritty areas and crime (that includes the USF area).

If you are accustomed to big-city living, then you will be turned off by Tampa Bay's lack of things to do.

If you are accustomed to medium size cities, then you will prolly be OK with Tampa Bay and love the winters.

If you care about birds, beaches, boating, sunshine, being able to go to Disney World for the weekend, palm trees, "the salt life," bragging about 75-degree days in December on Facebook, having a lower cost of living and better quality of life than many major cities offer, then you will love it here. Come on down!
Honestly when have you EVER Had to worry about pythons or gators in Tampa?? I've lived here 8 years and have not ONCE encountered a large reptile. As far as taxes, you realize they pay MUCH higher property taxes up north? Also, traffic is not that bad compared to other areas up north. Plus there are plenty of alternatives to public schooling here. Charter and private schools.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:34 AM

4,417 posts, read 3,770,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNativeGrl View Post
Honestly when have you EVER Had to worry about pythons or gators in Tampa?? I've lived here 8 years and have not ONCE encountered a large reptile. As far as taxes, you realize they pay MUCH higher property taxes up north? Also, traffic is not that bad compared to other areas up north. Plus there are plenty of alternatives to public schooling here. Charter and private schools.
Honestly do you ever watch the news? They catch a gator on someone's doorstep or in someone's pool once week. Pythons are mostly south of us for now; snakes are everywhere here, including in my backyard where I have encountered them countless times. My property taxes in Northern Virginia were a pittance compared to my taxes here ($2k on a $400,000 home vs. $7k on a $350,000 home here). Same goes for home insurance. I think my home insurance in Virginia was $600 a year. YES. $600 a year!!!! And in Virginia I had a variety of choices of big name national carriers (I had Travelers) to insure my home. Here in Florida there's only a handful of insurers and they might as well be called FlaNativeGrl Insurance Company, because they are companies nobody has ever heard of. In terms of public schools, I don't give a rat's ass since I have no kids. But I know that they do not compare in any way shape or form to public schools in the Northeast. You make it sound like going the charter or private school route is easy. It's not.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...borough-county

Last edited by sinatras; 05-02-2018 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-02-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
I have lived in 7 different states as a military wife and the one thing I have found is if you decide a place is not your cup of tea there is probably nothing else anyone can say or do to make you feel otherwise. So that would be one reason I would give not to move here..is if you already have strong reservations.

Personally, I am a native NYer who adores FL. Haven't been north of Pinellas county in 5 years, don't plan to either. As far as comparing to our other homes we love this the best. Everything we need is within a 15 minute drive. Our kids are never bored. Our taxes are 1/3 of what they would be up north and my home is at least 1/2 of what a similar home would cost in NY. Can't swim year round up there unless you have a crummy indoor pool, it is less family friendly at restaurants up north IMO, (we have no second looks going out with our clan until midnight on the weekend or taking them to a nice steakhouse here) and we are all so much happier. The bugs are a pain, but not worse than other places I've been in. Sure, there are hurricanes, but I had 2 of those in PA and no power for weeks with freezing temps with an infant in the home and a tornado in the same year to boot.

You pick fruits, all the festivals, Gasparilla, the super speed boat races, fireworks on the beach for NYE, sugar sand festivals, farmer markets, Adventure Island, Busch Gardens, exotic fruits, athletic events, water activities, awesome gardening, sunsets you won't forget in a million years - if you don't like those things please don't come. :-)
Not every state "up north" has high property taxes like NY.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:52 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,219,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
My property taxes in Northern Virginia were a pittance compared to my taxes here ($2k on a $400,000 home vs. $7k on a $350,000 home here). Same goes for home insurance. I think my home insurance in Virginia was $600 a year. YES. $600 a year!!!!

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...borough-county
Must be something in your "taxes" other than "taxes". Just to point out, my $330K home has taxes of $5,900, but that includes $2,000 for my CDD fee. The "taxes" are then $3,600. Which county are you in? My same home back in Illinois is now paying $8K in taxes ($375K home), plus $3,500/yr for HOA. So much more reasonable here, paying under half here.

As for insurance, you didn't mention how much you are paying, but with my new build home I'm paying $325 for "non-hurricane" coverage and $286 for "hurricane" coverage, total $610. $1K deductible and 2% for hurricane deductible, highly rated company (AM Best "A" rated). So even here in Florida I pay $600, YES $600 for a year!!! (same as you were paying in Virginia and about what I was paying in Illinois).

Old 05-02-2018, 09:58 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,219,112 times
Quote:
I hear ya. I've had black racer snakes, but that's it. My largest reptile has been the lizards who hang around my pool. Not gators in our ponds (I've talked with pond keepers who say they haven't seen a gator in any ponds in our community or surrounding communities.

Funny to see mosquito's called out as a nuance here. I had SEVERELY more mosquito's in Illinois that I had to deal with than I've found here. They have a heavy abatement program in the communities and still end up with large swarms after a heavy rain.

If you ignore the content and focus on the message I get what he's saying, there's good and bad here, as there is with any place. Just that when he gets specific some of what he wrote is just plain silly talk.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:16 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,979,804 times
Quote:
To be fair, you can see gators in Tampa. They're not uncommon. There's at least one at Al Lopez Park right next to Raymond James. That said, I haven't seen a snake in about ten years now, maybe longer. However, and this may only apply to people with septic tanks, my parents have frogs end up in their toilets every so often.

But as far as Sinatras' posts, take them with a grain of salt. I mean, look at their other criticisms:

"If you are a foodie and love going to gourmet upscale markets and restaurants, you may be disappointed by Tampa Bay's culinary scene.

If you are from a big city and love going to museums, theater, arts, concerts, spas, you may be disappointed by the choices in Tampa Bay.

If you are accustomed to top-tier universities and all they have to offer, then you may be disappointed by USF in various ways. "

There are a ton of foodie hangouts in Seminole Heights, Ybor, and SoHo alone, much less the rest of the city.

We have plenty of museums (relative to size), the Straz Center, plenty of Concerts (Gasparilla Music Fest being one of the biggest)... I mean, come on.

USF is a top 100 research university. Yeah, we get it... We don't have a Harvard equivalent. ~90% of the country doesn't. What kind of criticisms are these?

Old 05-02-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Must be something in your "taxes" other than "taxes". Just to point out, my $330K home has taxes of $5,900, but that includes $2,000 for my CDD fee. The "taxes" are then $3,600. Which county are you in? My same home back in Illinois is now paying $8K in taxes ($375K home), plus $3,500/yr for HOA. So much more reasonable here, paying under half here.

As for insurance, you didn't mention how much you are paying, but with my new build home I'm paying $325 for "non-hurricane" coverage and $286 for "hurricane" coverage, total $610. $1K deductible and 2% for hurricane deductible, highly rated company (AM Best "A" rated). So even here in Florida I pay $600, YES $600 for a year!!! (same as you were paying in Virginia and about what I was paying in Illinois).

South Tampa is more expensive tax-wise and insurance-wise, that pretty much explains it. Or any part of Tampa Bay near water.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
To be fair, you can see gators in Tampa. They're not uncommon. There's at least one at Al Lopez Park right next to Raymond James. That said, I haven't seen a snake in about ten years now, maybe longer. However, and this may only apply to people with septic tanks, my parents have frogs end up in their toilets every so often.

But as far as Sinatras' posts, take them with a grain of salt. I mean, look at their other criticisms:

"If you are a foodie and love going to gourmet upscale markets and restaurants, you may be disappointed by Tampa Bay's culinary scene.

If you are accustomed to top-tier universities and all they have to offer, then you may be disappointed by USF in various ways. "

There are a ton of foodie hangouts in Seminole Heights, Ybor, and SoHo alone, much less the rest of the city.

We have plenty of museums (relative to size), the Straz Center, plenty of Concerts (Gasparilla Music Fest being one of the biggest)... I mean, come on.

USF is a top 100 research university. Yeah, we get it... We don't have a Harvard equivalent. ~90% of the country doesn't. What kind of criticisms are these?

If you are accustomed to a big city, yes, all of these things are disappointing. Sorry. Maybe go move to LA and experience their museums and restaurants and get back to me.

If you are from a small city, Tampa's amenities are just dandy.

The OP can take my comments with a grain of salt. Just like everyone else's, including yours.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:06 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,979,804 times
Population of LA: 3.976 million
Population of Tampa: 377,165

Fair comparison.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post

I take it you went to USF? That's so nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay