Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
It's much better in terms of student housing now than it was 10 years ago.

Now they have excellent modern student housing options on campus, where in the past those didn't exist. Same with the Marshall Center. The renovation in the late 2000s made it a totally different place from what it had been.

RM
Absolutely! The Villages (where my daughter will be staying) is incredible. I am almost jealous. We didn’t have “dorms” like that at Penn State 😉

Now I just have to find a place just as nice for the rest of the family which isn’t proving as easy. Yes, same story as you’ve seen a million times here. Someone from PA moving to FL. We are so cliche. But we have planned this move for years, just waited for the kid to graduate. She had a choice, she could stay in PA and we would send her postcards from FL or she could choose a FL university.

My choices are so much harder than hers. I am so happy I found this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 AM

35 posts, read 41,973 times
[quote=crusinmama06;52230085]Absolutely! The Villages (where my daughter will be staying) is incredible. I am almost jealous. We didn’t have “dorms” like that at Penn State 😉

Now I just have to find a place just as nice for the rest of the family which isn’t proving as easy. Yes, same story as you’ve seen a million times here. Someone from PA moving to FL. We are so cliche. But we have planned this move for years, just waited for the kid to graduate. She had a choice, she could stay in PA and we would send her postcards from FL or she could choose a FL university.

My choices are so much harder than hers. I am so happy I found this forum.[/QUOTE

Are you considering moving to the Tampa Bay area or looking at other parts of Florida?

Old 06-18-2018, 10:27 AM

5,909 posts, read 7,241,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageflgirl View Post
Are you considering moving to the Tampa Bay area or looking at other parts of Florida?
The sharks begin to circle, as they smell blood in the water....

RM

Old 06-18-2018, 07:12 PM

32 posts, read 50,540 times
There are some areas near USF. You have Tampa Palms, just to the Northeast and New Tampa, farther out. Next you have Temple Terrace, a pretty decent small city with it's own City Council and fine services.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:34 PM

149 posts, read 144,014 times
You can blame Judy genshaft or however you spell it for the crummy feel. They control a lot of the USF area and try and stop development and keep kids to stay on campus. A real POS

Old 06-22-2018, 04:33 PM

5,909 posts, read 7,241,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
You can blame Judy genshaft or however you spell it for the crummy feel. They control a lot of the USF area and try and stop development and keep kids to stay on campus. A real POS
This is a totally bogus statement.

I worked at USF in the mid to late 2000s, often in close contact with their property department, and I can assure you they don't "control" anything outside of the campus.

That being said, they are often looking to buy adjoining properties if they're a good fit for the University, but the implication that they somehow control the area around the campus is total bunk.

It's been a marginal area as far as development and housing for years, and if anything, USF's presence has helped it get better. The only thing they probably can't influence is "Suitcase City", which is a direct offshoot to the lower socioeconomic area that exists there and has existed there for years.

There are so many things wrong with this claim it makes my head spin.

RM

Old 06-27-2018, 10:52 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,975,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
Yes. The area was a real gem of Tampa before Judy came in. Mark Sharpe is also running into a lot of problems with Judy in charge of USF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay