Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 8,746 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be relocating to the Tampa area from NY. We are a young family in our thirties with a toddler and newborn. We are relocating for my husbands job and really don't know much at all about the area. We are looking for a safe neighborhood with access to fine dining, good shopping, museums, art, culture etc. We lived in Aventura Fl for a few years and really did enjoy the area. I would love to find an area with homes ranging from 700k-1.5m with families and professionals. We are open to renting for the first year so that we can learn more about the area. We lived in SC for a short amount of time and it seemed all the nicer neighborhoods were full of retirees. We are open looking within an hour of the area if we have to. Also good private schools are important. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 05:01 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,404,735 times
Tell Us where the actual workplace will be at .... that way it will be easier for people reading here to advice you in the right direction.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 8,746 times
Thank you - He will be working from home with the exception of 1-2 days a week having to go to either Sarasota or Tampa near the Bay Street area. He doesn't mind a commute in since it will not be everyday.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:37 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,792,790 times
The Sunshine Skyway bridge closes during high wind situations, it's a long detour around when it's closed - just something to keep in mind.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:47 PM

26,985 posts, read 43,537,741 times
You'll probably feel more of a fit in South Tampa neighborhoods like Hyde Park or Davis Island where you'll get good public schools and easy access to nicer restaurants/shopping as well as outdoor activities. The once or twice a week drive to Sarasota via I-75 will be against the flow of commuter traffic outbound and returning home.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,319,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriepatricia View Post
Hi,

We will be relocating to the Tampa area from NY. We are a young family in our thirties with a toddler and newborn. We are relocating for my husbands job and really don't know much at all about the area. We are looking for a safe neighborhood with access to fine dining, good shopping, museums, art, culture etc. We lived in Aventura Fl for a few years and really did enjoy the area. I would love to find an area with homes ranging from 700k-1.5m with families and professionals. We are open to renting for the first year so that we can learn more about the area. We lived in SC for a short amount of time and it seemed all the nicer neighborhoods were full of retirees. We are open looking within an hour of the area if we have to. Also good private schools are important. Thank you!
This Coast is Nothing like S Florida

Old 05-24-2018, 06:49 PM

238 posts, read 574,216 times
@Swimmom32: Was curious how the gulf coast side of florida is nothing like Southeast side of Florida? I know the Southeast side well, but haven't been to the gulf side yet...

Old 05-25-2018, 04:10 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,513,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
The Sunshine Skyway bridge closes during high wind situations, it's a long detour around when it's closed - just something to keep in mind.
(He would never have to travel the Skyway from Tampa to Sarasota. Unless they choose to live in Pinellas Co).

Old 05-25-2018, 07:14 AM

5,940 posts, read 7,286,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
@Swimmom32: Was curious how the gulf coast side of florida is nothing like Southeast side of Florida? I know the Southeast side well, but haven't been to the gulf side yet...
South Florida is like a different country for a couple of reasons:

The climate is tropical, much like the Caribbean

Culturally, it’s also quite different. A lot of influence from the islands.

The Gulf side, at least around Tampa, is more temperate and culturally and ethnographically resembles middle America.

That’s a broad brush sort of description.

RM

Old 05-25-2018, 10:49 AM

79 posts, read 76,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriepatricia View Post
Hi,

Hi Carrie! I lived in Aventura as well back in 2005-2007 so I can relate to what you're looking for. I definitely think South Tampa (Palma Ceia, Hyde Park, Beach Park) area is what you are looking for. Excellent school district and within a few minutes drive to great shopping at International Plaza and Hyde Park Village as well as a plethora of dining options. Tampa has quite the dining scene! You'll be a short drive to downtown where the museums and Curtis Hixon Park are. Great place to take the little ones and it's next to the Children's Museum.

The neighborhoods I mentioned are lush, tree lined, and well established as an area associated with privacy, security and a perfect fit for a young family like yours. It's also within the price range you mentioned. South Tampa is within an hour commute to Sarasota (I have a friend who lives down there that I visit occasionally). I currently live in the Palma Ceia area and love it. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay