Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 05:02 PM

9 posts, read 6,173 times

Advertisements

I have been reading every thread I can regarding neighborhoods, commute, crime and schools. I am moving from Jax to Tampa next month. I spent a week in Tampa and looked at 7 high schools (Trinity/East Lake/Palm Harbour/Steinbrenner/Sickles/Wiregrass/LOL and was not impressed. I can afford about $280k to $300K. The houses were terrible and/or communities were not well taken care of. Schools did not impressed me either. I did like Steinbrenner school but not much houses around my price range. So I decided to look way east, probably one hour + commute. I looked at Lithia/Valrico/Bloomingdales area. Found it bit more established, more green (trees and such) and also with more traffic. River Hills and Twin Lakes seem like nice neighborhoods where you can still buy under $300k with a big lot and decent sqft. newsome seems a good school.

Is too crazy to drive from there to west linebaugh avenue where my work will be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 05:31 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
That drive would be insane. Even from Danashores back in the 90's it was around 50 mins to Brandon no matter how i went no matter the time of day.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:14 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,020,115 times
Yeah, that'll be a long slow commute with heavy traffic in this town. I would wanna live a lot closer.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:41 PM

9 posts, read 6,173 times
I am fine with one hour drive..did it for 11 years on another job I had.. I just wanted to keep it under the hour...

Old 05-25-2018, 10:58 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,577 times
It's a solid hour drive. Pretty much bumper to bumper the entire way (to and from). Some days might take up to 1.5 hr.
Have you looked into the Westchase/Countryway area?

Old 05-26-2018, 07:16 AM

124 posts, read 124,438 times
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...44878897_zpid/

Do not even think of that commute. Yes, in that price range there are not many homes in the Lutz area (Steinbrenner HS) but they are there. Villarosa, Heritage Harbor, Stonebrier, and even Parts of Cheval do have them. I limited my response to Lutz because Steinbrenner is the only HS I know well. These neighborhoods are great.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:28 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
I call BS on most of the (excessive) commute claims.

I live in that area and the spouse commutes to close to where you describe. They leave here in the morning and using the Crosstown and surface streets get to work in about 45 minutes. Some days it can be longer, and a lot depends on the time that you go. The earlier, the better, so if you can get out of here before 7:00 am it's even less.

My point is that I'm speaking from direct experience, not a guess. You can check Google Maps but it can be wildly inaccurate for peak times. Again, earlier is better. I commute to/from downtown via the Crosstown at 6:00 am and 3:30 pm and it takes me less than 30 minutes each way.

RM

Old 05-26-2018, 08:13 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I call BS on most of the (excessive) commute claims.

I live in that area and the spouse commutes to close to where you describe. They leave here in the morning and using the Crosstown and surface streets get to work in about 45 minutes. Some days it can be longer, and a lot depends on the time that you go. The earlier, the better, so if you can get out of here before 7:00 am it's even less.

My point is that I'm speaking from direct experience, not a guess. You can check Google Maps but it can be wildly inaccurate for peak times. Again, earlier is better. I commute to/from downtown via the Crosstown at 6:00 am and 3:30 pm and it takes me less than 30 minutes each way.

RM
With your "direct experiences" how long would it take you to get from Riverhills back gate on Bloomingdale to Westchase from 8-9 AM and 4-5 PM, Mon-Fri ?

Old 05-26-2018, 08:26 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I commute to/from downtown via the Crosstown at 6:00 am and 3:30 pm and it takes me less than 30 minutes each way.

RM
Downtown is nowhere near Linebaugh. Claiming that you can get from east Hillsborough to west Hillsborough in half an hour because you (living right next to the Crosstown) can make it to Downtown in that time is wildly inaccurate.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:12 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Downtown is nowhere near Linebaugh. Claiming that you can get from east Hillsborough to west Hillsborough in half an hour because you (living right next to the Crosstown) can make it to Downtown in that time is wildly inaccurate.
I didn't say it was. I was drawing a comparison as to how commute times can change based on hour of the day. And I live nowhere near the entrance of the Crosstown. It was a totally separate statement.

Spouse leaves the house around 7:00 and intersects Bloomingdale at Lithia Pinecrest. They end up at their work, which is roughly six blocks away from the stated destination using a combination of the Crosstown and surface streets in less than an hour on most days, according to them. Traffic/weather/wrecks can make that longer.

Consider that Lithia Pinecrest to River Hills or Twin Lakes doesn't add a significant amount of time, even at that hour.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay