Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:25 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times

Advertisements

I have not seen a rat anywhere since coming to FL 2 years ago. In the past week there is one or more that runs back and forth across my apt. patio. Mgmt. says they'll deal with it and if it dares come in. I've got 2 4 footed rat catchers. I don't think it will because the door is sound but

are rats common in clean areas? Are they part of the local critter population?

This is a big brown rat(s). I never see more than one but I've seen it more in the past couple of day sand there may be more than one.

There are a few squirrels and people have been feeding them. There was a notice sent round that that will result in fines. Other than encouraging the rats because of available food, there's a nice oak tree right outside, how do the squirrels relate to them? Do they tend to live compatibly or are they enemy species?

I have lived in many placse, a few much worse than this and I've never seen a rat It's horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 04:56 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
These are probably roof rats, also known as fruit rats.

Are there fruit trees around? If there are make sure they clean up any old fruit.

Because they are nocturnal you may not have noticed them before.

This rat is the same species that carried the bubonic plague around the world and is also the reservoir host for murine typhus.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:04 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I had one similar once upon a time. My DH put out those rat traps and it went away.. You do have to be careful of the traps though, as they can be deadly to dogs, I don't know if cats would be drawn to them.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:17 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Roof Rats, Fruit Rats, whatever they are called, I would have a Heart Attack. You must put this forum all over, I can guarantee it will keep some from moving to Fla. Seriously though, I would keep after that manager, they seem kind of lackidasical about it. I imagine it can be quite a problem. I don't think I have heard of this one before though, those little lizard things and bugs but not the Rats. Good thing you have those 4 legged traps.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Roof Rats, Fruit Rats, whatever they are called, I would have a Heart Attack. You must put this forum all over, I can guarantee it will keep some from moving to Fla. Seriously though, I would keep after that manager, they seem kind of lackidasical about it. I imagine it can be quite a problem. I don't think I have heard of this one before though, those little lizard things and bugs but not the Rats. Good thing you have those 4 legged traps.
If rats will keep someone from moving to an area then they will need to move to Antarctica.
Rats are everywhere humans are but most places you just don't see them.

If you keep your area clean you generally will not have a problem.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:49 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
The one I saw appeared at the same time my neighbor removed an old shed. I figured it had been hiding out there.

If rats kept ppl away, NYC would be a ghost town.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:20 AM

367 posts, read 1,686,988 times
I have a rodent problem in my attic. I had a problem with the little critters, they would wake me up at night scratching around just above my head, by my a/c cover, I thought one would drop through on me eventually! I'm not terrified of them, but don't want them around me.

So about six months ago one of the children forgot to close the garage door that comes into the utility room.

I am sitting in bed late one evening, husband out of town, children asleep, and I hear a scuttling noise coming from kitchen area. I look out of the corner of my eye and see this little monster calmy trot through the bedroom!
I exclaim something innappropriate, and it looks at me and runs! For the next 3 days I am trying to catch it. Traps, (knew how to spring them then eat the food, even leaving a bit for later!) poison, (totally ignored it) and trapping it personally. This last effort involved me and my daughter cornering it eventually in the children's bathroom, it had taken up residence in the sink closet.

Just as I opened the outside door to try and shoo it out, it decided to run at us, so we just screamed and ran - it sped past our dancing feet and out the room.

In the end, I just left the utility / garage door open again and it left of it's own accord! This after chewing half the door seal off to try and get out.

I actually got to feel a bit warm to this chap, he/she seemed so intelligent and just trapped where it didn't want to be.

However, back to reality, they are vermin, they should not be in the house and I want to be sure they are not damaging my a/c ducting, which I am sure they have, so before I get the duct pressure test from Progress Energy, I am finally resorting to a highly recommended pest company (in Pinellas county for two generations) to eradicate the little blighters.

We had already sealed up every hole we thought they could get through, but he found another one, and its the most likely entrance, so after his initial visit he is coming back to seal up and check all our home again.

If anyone wants to know them, I'll be happy to pass on the details to anyone who direct mails me.

Jessiesma, my 'ratcatcher' beagle shepherd cross loves to chase squirrels,but she totally ignored the rat and didn't even seem to be able to get the scent.
They are a part of the scene here, particularly so if there are citrus trees nearby. I have seen them on busy roads, around dumpsters at shopping centers, anywhere where there is rubbish for them to scavenge through.

Keep on to your management, but it's hard to eradicate exterior ones, if they have not come inside, it's unlikely they can. However, as a precaution, and I did this to keep out roaches too, I went into the bathrooms and kitchen and sealed with duct tape over all the areas where pipes come into the closets from interior and exterior walls, they can get through quite tiny gaps, about 1" deep.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:57 PM

Talking gee, thanks Mike

Knew about the plague, didn't want to mention it Actually it's the fleas on the rats then to people that transmit plague. So everybody watch your furry friends and flea management.
Oak trees with lots of acorns. No fruit. They clean them up and the squirrels shake them down.

Rats've been coming out in the day. rabies???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
These are probably roof rats, also known as fruit rats.

Are there fruit trees around? If there are make sure they clean up any old fruit.

Because they are nocturnal you may not have noticed them before.

This rat is the same species that carried the bubonic plague around the world and is also the reservoir host for murine typhus.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:59 PM

Default my cats are indoors

and I never see strays here.
who wants to clean up dead, rabid, plague carrying rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I had one similar once upon a time. My DH put out those rat traps and it went away.. You do have to be careful of the traps though, as they can be deadly to dogs, I don't know if cats would be drawn to them.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:03 PM

Default Yeah but now that

Mike Peterson confirmed they're nocturnal, I'm thinking RABIES
Definitely will keep after the mgr. I'm surprised.It doesn't sound like her. Oh Well$$$$$$$
Look, the lizards eat the bugs and our friendly neighborhood heron eats the lizards. What we need is a few good snakes, non-poisonous, non squishing varieties. They're all abominable but they do their jobs and leave us alone.
This is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay