Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 02:07 AM

5 posts, read 8,984 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I along with our 3yo daughter have decided to sell our business, and move to Florida! We currently live in Silicon Valley (California) and realized that the cost of living here is absolutely absurd. We decided Florida because we were offered a great business opportunity (in Saint Petersburg) and have a lot of friends and family who live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Miami, etc. I've tried to do as much research as I possibly could, and have narrowed down my search to - Riverview. My main focus would be great education for my daughter, and low crime rates. I was wondering if anyone could please offer any sort of advice on whether Riverview is a good city, and how traffic is from there to Saint Petersburg. Also, if you have any other neighborhoods that you could recommend that's within a 30 mile radius of Saint Petersburg, that would be greatly appreciated as well! Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 03:32 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
If you're going to commute between Riverview and St. Pete, get ready for South Bay-like traffic - that will be an easy hour's commute each way if not more (and I know that's not that bad for SFO - I used to live in San Bruno and Montara).

You're better off living in St. Pete and sending your child to a private school as the public schools in that area are marginal at best.

RM

Old 06-13-2018, 04:05 AM

30,429 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Drive will be a nitmare blare. And you will for sure hate our summer weather heather. Just wait till ya get a taste of lows near 80 and dewpoints of 75+ when we are stuck in a reverse west windflow.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:50 AM

79 posts, read 76,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlnguyen View Post
Hi everyone! My husband and I along with our 3yo daughter have decided to sell our business, and move to Florida! We currently live in Silicon Valley (California) and realized that the cost of living here is absolutely absurd. We decided Florida because we were offered a great business opportunity (in Saint Petersburg) and have a lot of friends and family who live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Miami, etc. I've tried to do as much research as I possibly could, and have narrowed down my search to - Riverview. My main focus would be great education for my daughter, and low crime rates. I was wondering if anyone could please offer any sort of advice on whether Riverview is a good city, and how traffic is from there to Saint Petersburg. Also, if you have any other neighborhoods that you could recommend that's within a 30 mile radius of Saint Petersburg, that would be greatly appreciated as well! Thank you so much in advance!
Just curious what it was about Riverview specifically that drew you to it? The commute to St. Pete will be a nightmare during rush hour traffic, but any other time you're looking at 45 min commute. I would say depending on your budget and if you're looking at a public school then South Tampa in the Gorrie/Mitchell/Wilson/Plant school districts you will be pleased and the commute to St. Pete is much easier. There are several private schools around like Berkely Prep and Tampa Prep that have great reputations for when she is older. Children's Nest in South Tampa is where my son went for pre school and we LOVED it. South Tampa neighborhoods I like are Palma Ceia, Hyde Park, Sunset Park, and Virginia Park to name a few. Just depends on your budget. Hope this was helpful.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNativeGrl View Post
Just curious what it was about Riverview specifically that drew you to it? The commute to St. Pete will be a nightmare during rush hour traffic, but any other time you're looking at 45 min commute. I would say depending on your budget and if you're looking at a public school then South Tampa in the Gorrie/Mitchell/Wilson/Plant school districts you will be pleased and the commute to St. Pete is much easier. There are several private schools around like Berkely Prep and Tampa Prep that have great reputations for when she is older. Children's Nest in South Tampa is where my son went for pre school and we LOVED it. South Tampa neighborhoods I like are Palma Ceia, Hyde Park, Sunset Park, and Virginia Park to name a few. Just depends on your budget. Hope this was helpful.

Thank you so much for your response! I was interested in Riverview because of the affordable and new homes that were sold. I definitely hate commuting though.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If you're going to commute between Riverview and St. Pete, get ready for South Bay-like traffic - that will be an easy hour's commute each way if not more (and I know that's not that bad for SFO - I used to live in San Bruno and Montara).

You're better off living in St. Pete and sending your child to a private school as the public schools in that area are marginal at best.

RM
Thank you! I hate commuting, so I will definitely look in St. Pete & South Tampa instead.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlnguyen View Post
Thank you! I hate commuting, so I will definitely look in St. Pete & South Tampa instead.
South Tampa will be marginally better commute - in other words, it will still be lousy. Whenever you have to cross the bay you're going to have an ugly commute.

I know you live in the South Bay, but compare it to trying to commute to/from say, Milpitas to your current home. Or driving across either the San Mateo or Dumbarton Bridges at rush hour. Yeah, it's that bad.

If you're going to work in St. Pete, you're insane to consider anything outside of Pinellas County, especially across the bay (Tampa/Hillsborough County.)

Coming from the Bay Area I would expect you're in fairly good shape as far as housing unless you're renters. If that's the case, $300k will get you a decent home in a nicer part of St. Pete, close to a very vibrant community.

Now if you want generic cookie-cutter suburbia, Riverview would be the place, but again, the commute would be hellish and a decision you would quickly regret.

RM

Old 06-14-2018, 07:28 AM

124 posts, read 124,360 times
Look at Westchase too.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonablevoice View Post
Look at Westchase too.
Not if they're working in St. Pete. They'll still have to cross the causeway(s).

RM

Old 06-14-2018, 02:24 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,432 times
It took 47 minutes to cross the bridge from st pete to tampa yesterday. Why is someone always directing people to South Tampa? Just look for a school on the Pinellas side. Im sure they have good schools somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay