U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Single female 30 years old relocating to Tampa Florida, looking for advice on cost of living, being single female in area, day to day life in Tampa

Old 12-12-2006, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 8,047 times

Advertisements

HI Everyone!
I am in the process of relocating to Tampa, FL to the 33617 zip code. Moving to Florida has been a dream of mine since I was 18 and I am now 29 - getting ready to turn 30 in 2 months and I have made up my mind to move- I have procrastinated long enough... unfortunately I don't have any family in this area and I will be moving by myself..well- me and my jack russell and my job has a location in this area..luckily...BUT...the only place I have ever been to was Miami, Ft. Lauderdale area..which I absolutely LOVE...is Tampa similar to these areas? I want to make sure I'm making a good decision..(I can't afford to live in Ft Lauderdale, which is why I chose Tampa as the next best thing.) Is this a wise move for a single woman to make all by herself?? Help!
Can anybody tell me what its like living in Tampa?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBayHomes.com View Post
Welcome to Tampa Bay! I think you will enjoy it I've lived here for 14 years relocated from Massachusetts. Just think its December12th and we're still in shorts and still doing outdoor activities. Tampa you'll find has nice beaches, Clearwater and St Petersburg, Honey Moon Island in Dunedin, sports: Hockey, Football, Baseball, Horse Racing, Dog Racing, Indoor Concerts, Outdoor Concerts, good clubs and restraunts and you'll meet people from all over the United States.
Thank you! That makes me feel better about my decision! I hear alot of great things about Tampa. I have also had people tell me that Florida is nice to visit but not to live there. I feel otherwise...Soon will find out!! I'm really excited but very nervous at the same time. Like I said, I've only visited the Fort Lauderdale and South beach area and I wonder if Tampa has the same kind of feel or atmosphere-palm trees, sunny most of the time, clean, easy to get around. Does Tampa get hit hard with hurricanes or are they kind of mild in this part of Fla. ?

Old 12-12-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBayHomes.com View Post
Welcome to Tampa Bay! I think you will enjoy it I've lived here for 14 years relocated from Massachusetts. Just think its December12th and we're still in shorts and still doing outdoor activities. Tampa you'll find has nice beaches, Clearwater and St Petersburg, Honey Moon Island in Dunedin, sports: Hockey, Football, Baseball, Horse Racing, Dog Racing, Indoor Concerts, Outdoor Concerts, good clubs and restraunts and you'll meet people from all over the United States.
I'm also from the east coast--PA...lived here all my life. I can't wait until I don't have to wear winter coats anymore and getting stuck in the snow

Old 12-13-2006, 04:12 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,897,162 times
PA is also my old stomping ground. Lived there all my life also. Hang on to one of those coats and a scrapper, you'll need the occaionally. I brought my snow shovel, it's great for sand.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:33 PM

8 posts, read 105,175 times
Default I was wondering about the weather too, thanks Swiggs

Is Tampa a milder part of Florida? I've got a disease that is worse when the weather is changable, like if it rains off and on and if there are storms. I was a bit worried that the rainy season might be three months of headaches for me. I haven't lived anywhere warm or humid before. Right now I'm freezing my typing fingers off in Canada. I'm wearing double layers of everything INDOORS and resting under a wool blanket with a high-powered heater trained on me most of the day. Can there really be someplace that's warm in the winter? lol

I really like that Tampa grows every kind of tree, from the pictures I've seen. I was looking at real estate pictures today, and it looks like a lot of the houses there are built with porches.

What are the people like in Tampa? Someone here said that there is a good mix from all over the country. Are the people friendly there? The crime rate is three times the U.S. average. Are some areas of town safer than others?

Thanks for helping with my questions. Swiggs, I hope you get a good place to live. What will you do for a living? What has been calling you to Florida for all these years? Feel free to PM me if you want. Good luck!

(( )) Shannon

Old 12-16-2006, 02:56 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,019,364 times
Tampa, I believe, has all walks of life from all areas. South Tampa finds many of the 2nd and 3rd Generations with old money, Business Professionals and young college grads with really good jobs. It's not to say that some areas may have a mix of laid back southerners here and there that have just been here for a while. Noth Tampa, New Tampa are all suburbs for the most part, most newer homes(built from the 80's to present), so alot of transplants, new families from all over the country. City center has everything, from Cubans, Spanish, Italians that had familes settled here from the early 1900's. Downtown is goign through a rennaisaince, with over 7500 condos, townhomes and homes under constructions.
People are what you make of them, and who you want to associate with, just depends on where you are, and your own attitude, I have to say of the 19 years Ive been, found they place to be extremely warm and friendly.
There are seasons, and temps can change drastically in the winter. Afer October, say goodbye to the humidity for the most part unitl April, and December/January can get down right chilly with low temps hovering around freezing(32 degrees) some nights, sometimes the highs only get into the 50's. But it doesnt last long. There is definitely a different feel in the winter months..you go from highs in the 90's most of June July August and September to highs in the 70's the rest of the months. Ocassionally there can be a warm spell with highs in the low 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>