Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 09:07 AM

330 posts, read 1,084,833 times

Advertisements

Oh well, its hotter and more humid. I think what Roscoe is saying is that millions of people choose to deal with it and make it their home besides the heat. Some people prefer the heat and some the snow, Im originally from Syracuse,NY (120 inches of snow per year) and I have friends that love it and would never leave. Everybody is different I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 09:08 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Oh well, its hotter and more humid. I think what Roscoe is saying is that millions of people choose to deal with it and make it their home besides the heat. Some people prefer the heat and some the snow, Im originally from Syracuse,NY (120 inches of snow per year) and I have friends that love it and would never leave. Everybody is different I guess.
Could not say it better. Each his own.

My only complaint is Floridians are notorious about making fun at us northeners about the cold..But for 6 months we hear.........crickets.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:09 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
According to today's forecast there's very little difference in temperature and humidity between Atlanta and St Pete Beach.
It's hotter than both places in much of Southern Europe at the moment.
The idea that Florida has uniquely hot and humid weather in the summer is simply bunkum.It's just that there seems to be far more whingeing about it from people who should man-up and stop acting like wimps over a bit of heat.
Currently the RealFeel temp in ATL is 93.
The RealFeel temp in Tampa is 99.

As I'm sure you know, the sun is more intense in Florida.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/at...orecast/348181

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ta...orecast/347937

What is the AccuWeather RealFeel Temperature?

The AccuWeather.com RealFeel® Temperature was created in the 1990s by Joel N. Myers, Michael A. Steinberg, Joseph Sobel, Elliot Abrams and Evan Myers.

The RealFeel Temperature is an equation that takes into account many different factors to determine how the temperature actually feels outside. It is the first temperature to take into account multiple factors to determine how hot and cold feels.

Some of the components that are used in the equation are humidity, cloud cover, winds, sun intensity and angle of the sun. Humidity is a large contributor to determining the RealFeel, but the time of the day also is important, due to the angle of the sun.

In the morning the low angle of the sun gives off less heat because the energy is spread out, according to AccuWeather.com Expert Senior Meteorologist Dan Kottlowski. In the afternoon, the sun is overhead and the sun's energy is more direct and gives off more energy, making it feel warmer.

"The RealFeel takes into consideration the angle of the sun and its affects on an object or the body," Kottlowski said.

Once the equation was created, the inventors took the RealFeel to AccuWeather.com meteorologists, media and the public to make sure they weren't missing anything and to gather research on how they could improve the product, Steinberg said.

The equation also takes into consideration how people perceive the weather. Steinberg said that this can be debated, since not everyone perceives weather the same way, but the equation uses the average person's perception of weather and adds that into the RealFeel equation. The RealFeel Temperature can be used throughout all four seasons with the same equation.

Wind is a main component that determines how people perceive the weather and a factor that is used to determine the AccuWeather RealFeel. AccuWeather.com Senior Meteorologist Kristina Pydynowski, said that the wind can make a person feel colder because the cold wind blowing removes heat from your body.

"The stronger the wind, the faster the heat is getting removed from your body, so it will feel colder outside," Pydynowski said.

Humidity is another component in equating the RealFeel and also plays a role in how people feel outside. If there is low humidity in the air (meaning less moisture) when you sweat, the moisture is able to evaporate. This works as your body's cooling process, so you won't feel as hot. If there is high humidity in the air, the evaporating process is slowed down or stopped because there is already a lot of moisture in the air.

"That is why you get the sticky feeling, because the sweat isn't able to evaporate as efficiently," Pydynowski said.

The AccuWeather.com RealFeel Temperature is one of a kind because AccuWeather is the only company that can use more than two elements in its equation, to determine the RealFeel because of the patents that AccuWeather has, Steinberg said.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:23 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
OP save yourself the trip and just get fully dressed and go sit in a sauna...you'll get the idea real fast and save yourself some $$$! Like everything in life, it's a trade off...we down here have it really good during the winter months...and those, up north have it better in the summer...the good news is usually the longer you live here the more heat tolerant you become! There is also that slightly wacky contingent that loves this time of year!!!

Old 06-27-2018, 09:28 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
MUCH more humid... a lot..... it was 113 heat index in Naples, Fl yesterday with 100% humidity..... that will be the standard temp for months on end.. the day we left (last july) it was 117 heat index with 100% humidity. Expect absolutely oppressive humidity (unlike anything Atlanta will experience) from March-Oct most years. Many years we took our daughter trick or treating in 98 degree heat indexes with people handing out ice pops instead of candy..
Further north of Naples lessen that time by a month or so. Tampa area isn't further north enough to lessen the heat time, sorry. Its getting hotter and hotter there every year it seems and less and less cold fronts are passing through come winter.. A/C is needed pretty much year round now.

Just checking the weather its 101 now 82% humidity... its 89 in Atlanta with 60% humidity. and its not even close to the hottest part of the day in Fla yet.. most nights wont drop below triple digit heat index at night during the summer due to humidity

Old 06-27-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
the good news is usually the longer you live here the more heat tolerant you become!
I regret to inform you that as a born and raised Floridian, every year I tolerate the heat less. Every year it feels hotter and hotter to me. I have never gotten used to it. And some people say it has gotten hotter due to climate change but the jury is still out on that. I tolerate it because I hate cold winters more. But I can assure you there is a reason why MILLIONS of people pay $1 million to buy a shoebox in coastal California. Because it is neither extremely hot nor extremely cold.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:03 AM

One thing that is worse in ATL is the smog. So the smog over there makes it harder to breathe in summer.

https://www.ajc.com/weather/what-cod...H8OHIdDm7xixK/

Old 06-27-2018, 10:09 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
We moved here in 1972, after 2 years we became acclimated and we never again thought about living anywhere to the north. We bought a small sailboat and went sailing year around. It is too cold in winter for swimming, but nice for sailing.

We chuckle when we see a report about the chaos when it snows in Atlanta.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:00 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I regret to inform you that as a born and raised Floridian, every year I tolerate the heat less. Every year it feels hotter and hotter to me. I have never gotten used to it. And some people say it has gotten hotter due to climate change but the jury is still out on that. I tolerate it because I hate cold winters more. But I can assure you there is a reason why MILLIONS of people pay $1 million to buy a shoebox in coastal California. Because it is neither extremely hot nor extremely cold.

After 34 years we COULD NOT take it anymore. My husband moved there from Maine at 17 and I been a life long Florida resident. It became taxing just to drive to the store and die sweating the entire way there and back. The a/c never felt cool enough. When I was a child we were assured at least 1 frost a year. I haven't seen frost where I was in Fla in almost 10+ years. We used to be assured we could open our windows from Oct-April. The past 5-7 years we opened our windows less than a week a year... We finally said screw it and left. We LOVE season change now. Appreciate it. Love being able to put a pumpkin on the porch and not have it rot in 2 days..

We came back for a visit in April this past year and cut our vacation 5 days short. The absolute opressive heat and humidity made us miserable. We ended up sitting in my in-laws house because we had no interest in going out and sweating driving place to place. Odds are we wont' be back to Fla for a decade or so, probably when something happens to my in-laws.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 06-27-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-27-2018, 11:20 AM

206 posts, read 90,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
LOL....as Roscoe turns up his A/C...

And why do you Florida guys pick a MOMENT somewhere else. Of course everywhere gets Hot...difference is the rest of us cool down. You DONT.

As for the wimp comment. .. Floridians should not talk..most of you are the biggest wimps regarding cold. Ohhhh its 50 degrees out..I need my parka and gloves....
Actually I've spent time in Florida, went there for college, 50 degress in florida is COLD. Feels more like 10s and 20s do in upstate NY where I live. Its probably the higher humidity there that causes this discrepancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay