Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 08:31 AM

61 posts, read 82,475 times

Advertisements

I only deal with documented CRIME statistics about St Petersburg, as a Florida Native. Those numbers and facts are not created by ME, or Mr. Biden, or Mr. Trump as Presidents.

These numbers have everything to do with local character, local economics, local social structure, local policing, local employment, local education and local politics/culture.

When there is a negative cultural shift, things can degrade in any city. Not just St. Petersburg, FL.

Conflating St Petersburg crime stats with Mr. Trump or Mr. Biden smacks of a boneheaded hidden agenda it seems to me.

Also, and more importantly, you're(@kingsdl} from MICHIGAN, (a new arrival) so your experience and knowledge is limited. I'm a native and I am much more experienced with first hand knowledge of St Petersburg, FL

Last edited by JimLathrup; 03-19-2021 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 08:33 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
Are things gonna improve in St. Pete when trump takes back the election that was stolen from him and continues to make American great again??
Those damned liberals have ruined downtown St. Pete, haven't they? 15 years ago it was a desolate place with nothing going on, now it's one of the liveliest downtowns in all of Florida, and it's absolutely horrible, right guy?
You sound really scared. Just stay indoors until trump is back in office, then you'll be safe to walk the streets again. Stay strong!!

Lmao! 1000%

Old 03-21-2021, 08:59 AM

61 posts, read 82,475 times
I'll say this again - who knows MORE about the devolution of ST Petersburg, FL in re CRIME?
a poster from MICHIGAN who hasn't been here long enough to compare, or a poster like me, a Native of Florida who has actually lived in St Petersburg.

Having a pseudo "lively Downtown" as the poster puts it, has absolutely NOTHING to do with the CRIMINALITY of the City of St. Petersburg, and the documented drastic increase in crime.

Take off those pink-colored glasses, flowered tank top, and flip-flops and deal with local truths, or go talk with law enforcement, fair enough?

It has nothing to do with who's President of the United States, then or NOW for godsake

Old 03-21-2021, 12:55 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
St. Pete has some great things going for it; however it remains a high crime city. Here is a link to some stats:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 03-24-2021 at 01:10 AM..

Old 03-21-2021, 01:30 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,646,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
St. Pete has some great things going for it; however it remains a high crime city. Here is a link to some stats:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Read your link...unless it's broken down by zip codes they are really useless stats for the purpose of this post...there are some very rough areas for sure...but gentrification is happening at warp speed for previously questionable areas...and the good areas (Northeast) are on fire real estate wise (lol)...If you want to live in a homogenous area with any town USA vibe perhaps Eastlake in North Pinellas is for you...(not directed at you but other posters)

Old 03-21-2021, 03:15 PM

213 posts, read 258,526 times
Default St Pete crime stats by ADT

According to ADT, except for assault and personal crime, everything else is slights above average for zip code 33701
Attached Thumbnails
How Has St. Petersburg Changed?-adt-st-pete.jpg  

Old 03-22-2021, 06:08 AM

6 posts, read 3,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLathrup View Post
I'll say this again - who knows MORE about the devolution of ST Petersburg, FL in re CRIME?
a poster from MICHIGAN who hasn't been here long enough to compare, or a poster like me, a Native of Florida who has actually lived in St Petersburg.

Having a pseudo "lively Downtown" as the poster puts it, has absolutely NOTHING to do with the CRIMINALITY of the City of St. Petersburg, and the documented drastic increase in crime.

Take off those pink-colored glasses, flowered tank top, and flip-flops and deal with local truths, or go talk with law enforcement, fair enough?

It has nothing to do with who's President of the United States, then or NOW for godsake

This poster seems very disgruntled. He keeps referencing specific things - flowered tank tops, pink glasses...and then on a previous post he mentioned San Francisco. I'm picking up a theme here...

I this poster needs to go out and be fabulous, and he'll feel better...

St. Petersburg may indeed have issues with crime, but the downtown region has made tremendous strides in recent years, and that matters.

So we can have A). - A desolate central core with homelessness and no businesses AND crime. - OR - we can have B). - A lively and active central core that brings in residents, businesses, tourists, jobs, and the dollars that follow, and still have an issue with crime.

I realize you're scared, but the fact of the matter is that St. Petersburg is better off now than it was 10 - 15 years ago, which for you appear to be it's glory days... St. Petersburg continues to improve, yet it still has challenges, they can both exist at the same time, they're not mutually exclusive.

I realize that you don't understand this concept, and you prefer to reference San Francisco, flowered tank tops and pink glasses...LMAOOO...but in the end those things have nothing to do with the discussion at hand, but it sure is entertaining!

Old 03-22-2021, 06:13 AM

6 posts, read 3,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Read your link...unless it's broken down by zip codes they are really useless stats for the purpose of this post...there are some very rough areas for sure...but gentrification is happening at warp speed for previously questionable areas...and the good areas (Northeast) are on fire real estate wise (lol)...If you want to live in a homogenous area with any town USA vibe perhaps Eastlake in North Pinellas is for you...(not directed at you but other posters)
Exactly. Well put. This is a concept that a few posters on this thread are having difficulty understanding.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:26 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Zip code referenced crime rates are basically worthless. The average US zip code is around 90 square miles and as a reference point, the size of Knoxville TN. The data used is applied with too broad a brush stroke if one considers the how far the better areas are from the problem sites, which is most often the case.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:20 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,646,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Zip code referenced crime rates are basically worthless. The average US zip code is around 90 square miles and as a reference point, the size of Knoxville TN. The data used is applied with too broad a brush stroke if one considers the how far the better areas are from the problem sites, which is most often the case.
I stand corrected! Just looking at St.Pete as a whole (crime rate) is doubly useless...I grew up and lived in NYC for 35 years...and you can have a huge difference in crime rates in one zip code area!! Thanks for the reminder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay