U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 05:33 AM

17,913 posts, read 11,638,650 times

Advertisements

More dead fish trish washing on shore this weekend in Clw and south . Now with a reverse west windflow starting today and all of next week expect more dead fish.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 06:58 AM

4,569 posts, read 3,737,144 times
I have been wanting to take an hour or so walk (not necessarily swim along the Gulf for a while). Have been holding off on doing so for over a month. Any places in Pinellas or South Bay (Sarasota/Manatee) beaches where it is cleaned up enough that I wouldn't have to have significant concern if I walked along with my legs in the water for a little while, or should I still hold off for another few weeks?

For reference, as I am more goal oriented, I'm trying to enjoy my beach visits right now by hiking sections, Appalachian Trail style. I've covered all of Manatee County's beachfront, and I have covered Sarasota all the way from Longboat down to Venice, and all of Caspersen. I am hoping to knock Pinellas beaches out next, and so I was hoping to hit up at least a portion of Pass-a-Grille or Fort DeSoto, specifically. Looking for balance of opinions here and claims that are backed up by statistical charts of late, or any helpful links that report current Red Tide levels (if any such tracker exists). Thanks all!

Old 09-09-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I have been wanting to take an hour or so walk (not necessarily swim along the Gulf for a while). Have been holding off on doing so for over a month. Any places in Pinellas or South Bay (Sarasota/Manatee) beaches where it is cleaned up enough that I wouldn't have to have significant concern if I walked along with my legs in the water for a little while, or should I still hold off for another few weeks?

For reference, as I am more goal oriented, I'm trying to enjoy my beach visits right now by hiking sections, Appalachian Trail style. I've covered all of Manatee County's beachfront, and I have covered Sarasota all the way from Longboat down to Venice, and all of Caspersen. I am hoping to knock Pinellas beaches out next, and so I was hoping to hit up at least a portion of Pass-a-Grille or Fort DeSoto, specifically. Looking for balance of opinions here and claims that are backed up by statistical charts of late, or any helpful links that report current Red Tide levels (if any such tracker exists). Thanks all!
It will vary day by day and area. 1 mile down the beach can be ok and hours later gator be bad again.

With a west windflow it will blow back closer to shore. We are noi longer in a east wind flow that kept it offshore.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:26 AM

4,569 posts, read 3,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It will vary day by day and area. 1 mile down the beach can be ok and hours later gator be bad again.

With a west windflow it will blow back closer to shore. We are noi longer in a east wind flow that kept it offshore.
All that does make sense. But are there any areas that are better or worse than others? This could be an incorrect assumption, but I would assume the closer I am to urban settings, the increased presence of other sources around the water would make it worse or more likely to have issues. So, I saw another poster asking about Honeymoon Island earlier. I would think that I'd be better off there during this time, or if going south, at somewhere like Manasota or Gasparilla Island, than closer in to Tampa Bay? Also, how adverse is the impact for those that have gone there during the time? Could exposure to my legs leave them itchy or be more susceptible to viruses? Or could even the odor present right there traveling through the air be potentially at least temporarily harmful/lead to having a virus?

I have to say, living down here and experiencing this over the past month or two has REALLY been a shock (I've only been in this area for 2.5 years, and so I don't have that much experience.) But what is shocking to me is that even 10-20 miles away, it's gotten better now, but at it's worst it caused the whole area to smell nasty and unpleasant being outside. I traveled to Mexico City and Beijing, two of the cities in the world most known for hazardous levels of pollution. And there were times and places, where, it was pretty dang bad. But even that didn't have the level of impact on my senses/how I felt that this current Red Tide span has.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
All that does make sense. But are there any areas that are better or worse than others? This could be an incorrect assumption, but I would assume the closer I am to urban settings, the increased presence of other sources around the water would make it worse or more likely to have issues. So, I saw another poster asking about Honeymoon Island earlier. I would think that I'd be better off there during this time, or if going south, at somewhere like Manasota or Gasparilla Island, than closer in to Tampa Bay? Also, how adverse is the impact for those that have gone there during the time? Could exposure to my legs leave them itchy or be more susceptible to viruses? Or could even the odor present right there traveling through the air be potentially at least temporarily harmful/lead to having a virus?

I have to say, living down here and experiencing this over the past month or two has REALLY been a shock (I've only been in this area for 2.5 years, and so I don't have that much experience.) But what is shocking to me is that even 10-20 miles away, it's gotten better now, but at it's worst it caused the whole area to smell nasty and unpleasant being outside. I traveled to Mexico City and Beijing, two of the cities in the world most known for hazardous levels of pollution. And there were times and places, where, it was pretty dang bad. But even that didn't have the level of impact on my senses/how I felt that this current Red Tide span has.
The more north the better.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:21 PM

3,256 posts, read 2,272,332 times
Quote:

I have been saying for years that the beaches are toxic wastelands, especially during what I call "diarrhea season," and everyone laughed.

Who is laughing now?

Here's what the beach looks like today in Pinellas. Diarrhea water and death everywhere.

Last edited by sinatras; 09-10-2018 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 05:27 PM

It is north of Tarpon now. I saw dead fish 15 miles offshore.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:51 AM

3,256 posts, read 2,272,332 times
Redington Shores yesterday.

Smells awful, burns your throat, dead fish everywhere.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:35 PM

366 posts, read 255,709 times
Why fishes are dying? Red tide don`t let them breathe? How wide is the stripe of those seaweed from coastline towards depth of the ocean?
I`ve seen here some opinions about humans influence to evironment in FL. I`m sure it`s one of the reason but i sure as well this reason isn`t major. Owerwise, it would happen every year. Actually i`ve never seen a place (specificly in Tampa) where something bad were draining to the ocean. Possibly waste goes thru the pipes into the ocean and poured out somewhere deeply.
BTW east cost doesn`t have any problems wuth so called Red Tides! Either a current is stronger there or the temperature of the water is a little less..no lo se..

Old 09-11-2018, 02:54 PM

9,283 posts, read 6,064,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
Why fishes are dying? Red tide don`t let them breathe? How wide is the stripe of those seaweed from coastline towards depth of the ocean?
I`ve seen here some opinions about humans influence to evironment in FL. I`m sure it`s one of the reason but i sure as well this reason isn`t major. Owerwise, it would happen every year. Actually i`ve never seen a place (specificly in Tampa) where something bad were draining to the ocean. Possibly waste goes thru the pipes into the ocean and poured out somewhere deeply.
BTW east cost doesn`t have any problems wuth so called Red Tides! Either a current is stronger there or the temperature of the water is a little less..no lo se..
Too obviously dumbed down (owerwise??? ignore spell-checker???). Climate change denier/obfuscator in dunce clothing, even though IMO that's an oxymoron? Most likely, hopefully, this is an attempt at satire.

Anyway, this thread discusses the causes of red tide in depth and how nutrient run-offs, ocean warming, increased Saharan dust storms, hurricanes, all may play major roles in exacerbating red tide events.

Florida is turning into an environmental catastrophe

Last edited by WRnative; 09-11-2018 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or