Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:02 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times

Advertisements

Just got back from visiting Tampa from Ohio last week and the place is awesome. Beautiful scenery plus there were tons of stuff to do. Stayed in Ybor City at the Hampton Inn. Have friends that live down there so they showed me around. Went to St Pete, Clearwater Beach and Treasure Island as well.

PROS
Friendly, laid back and cool people.
Impressive scenery, palm trees, beach, causeway bridges , Gulf of Mexico etc
Good restaurants and bars, (downtown St Pete is awesome)
Tons of outdoor activities, biking, boating, walking
Uniqueness of Ybor
Not too pricey

CONS
Homeless people in Ybor City.
Chickens running around in Ybor
Thunder and lightning storms.

I loved the place and i will be coming back soon. You guys are lucky to live in a place like this.

Last edited by ma5cmpb; 08-28-2018 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 09:35 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Great!

Old 08-28-2018, 01:23 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
CONS

Seriously?

Old 08-28-2018, 01:31 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times
No, you got it all wrong. From those who have lived here for many years, and those who are lifers, this area is so bad that they continue to live here and complain on how bad the weather, economy, traffic, politics, schools and everything else under the sun is ----- {sarcasm off}

I've been here for going on 3 years, still really like the area. It's not perfect, but no place is. Ybor is a really special place. Just wait, it will soon change.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:44 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Chickens in Ybor are part of the ambience. I'm surprised your friends didn't point that out.

Homeless people are unfortunately a part of life down here. Part of this is due to our climate, as it's a lot easier living outside when there's no snow or low temperatures.

Thunder and lighting are some of the best parts of living here! I love a good thunderstorm!

Sure, it's hot in the summer and the traffic stinks, the schools are lousy, but it's a pretty good place to live and work overall. Just about any place else (Akron, Cleveland, etc.) will have a similarly long list of detractions, too. It's all about compromise....

RM

Old 08-28-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Seriously?
I guess its something that I"m not use to seeing unless i'm on a farm somewhere.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
No, you got it all wrong. From those who have lived here for many years, and those who are lifers, this area is so bad that they continue to live here and complain on how bad the weather, economy, traffic, politics, schools and everything else under the sun is ----- {sarcasm off}

I've been here for going on 3 years, still really like the area. It's not perfect, but no place is. Ybor is a really special place. Just wait, it will soon change.
Yeah I saw signs that the Rays will be moving in that area.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Chickens in Ybor are part of the ambience. I'm surprised your friends didn't point that out.

Homeless people are unfortunately a part of life down here. Part of this is due to our climate, as it's a lot easier living outside when there's no snow or low temperatures.

Thunder and lighting are some of the best parts of living here! I love a good thunderstorm!

Sure, it's hot in the summer and the traffic stinks, the schools are lousy, but it's a pretty good place to live and work overall. Just about any place else (Akron, Cleveland, etc.) will have a similarly long list of detractions, too. It's all about compromise....

RM
They pointed it out after I mentioned it. It was pretty funny. I'm in Akron and Tampa area blows Akron as well as Cleveland out of the water for things to do. The people I met down there are all originally from here.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:35 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
They pointed it out after I mentioned it. It was pretty funny. I'm in Akron and Tampa area blows Akron as well as Cleveland out of the water for things to do. The people I met down there are all originally from here.
If we could count the number of people who just visit here and think it's wonderful and the perfect place to live, the number would be staggering. Life is much the same here as it is in the Midwest, only the summer is longer and the big water is salty, not fresh. I'm not saying it's bad, but the contrast between being here on holiday and living here are very, very different.

And there's no guarantee the Rays will be moving - yet. The owner would like that but the politicians are treading softly, as many of the locals aren't likely to vote for any tax related means of funding them.

RM

Old 08-29-2018, 06:00 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,577 times
Quote:
Just got back from visiting Tampa from Ohio last week and the place is awesome. Beautiful scenery plus there were tons of stuff to do. Stayed in Ybor City at the Hampton Inn. Have friends that live down there so they showed me around. Went to St Pete, Clearwater Beach and Treasure Island as well.

PROS
Friendly, laid back and cool people.
Impressive scenery, palm trees, beach, causeway bridges , Gulf of Mexico etc
Good restaurants and bars, (downtown St Pete is awesome)
Tons of outdoor activities, biking, boating, walking
Uniqueness of Ybor
Not too pricey

CONS
Homeless people in Ybor City.
Thunder and lightning storms.

I loved the place and i will be coming back soon. You guys are lucky to live in a place like this.
Now you weren't thinkin about..... nevermind.
Attached Thumbnails
Impressed with Tampa-hqdefault.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay