U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 PM

9 posts, read 38,364 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I would like to ask you to help me resolve one dilemma.
My husband, baby (5m) and I are winners of GC 2008. We
are from Europe and we are planning to come to the USA
in August. That means new start for all of us.
We are in big dilemma where to go? NY or Tampa/St. Pete?
We are interested in your opinion (experience) concerning
advantages and disadvantages of these two cities?

Thank you for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM

3,088 posts, read 8,023,741 times
what's gc 08?

Really its like apples and oranges. Tampa you must have a car there is no public transportation, cheaper then NYC and more laid back. Also it doesn't get as cold in Tampa as it does in NYC. Tampa is very spread out with different sections for everyone. There is more to do in NYC and probably better schooling options.

When it comes down to it do you want the fast pace city life (NYC) or slow pace (Tampa)

Old 04-02-2008, 04:10 PM

gc 2008 - green card 2008

Thank you.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,616,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laricak View Post
Dear all,

Thank you for your help!
They are probably as two different places as you can possibly ask about. St. Pete/Tampa is warm, laid back, has more of a suburban life. NYC is fast paced, has a TON gon on, and it pretty much as big city as you get. You'll have to be more specific about what you are looking for and we may be able to help.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 PM

13,768 posts, read 35,522,679 times
Price range too for housing. Most of NYC is apts/condos. There aren't any houses in the city itself.

Like Jessiegirl stated, NYC is a BIG city, fast paced and lots of ppl everywhere. You don't need a car in NYC but you will need one in Tampa.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:24 AM

I'm thinking about these cities because I have friends there (in both city), which is very important for new emigrants. I have never been to the USA. I am aware of big city advantages since I live in capital of my current country. What I have noticed is that in NY you can earn much more money than in FL generally. Am I right? I have also looked trough rent prices (rent.com) and there are differences of course in price, and of course there is comfort. What I don’t know is where I can find first appropriate job for the decent life quicker? I work in finance and my husband works in sales of FMCG. We would like to stay in those fields, but for the first time he only would work, because of the baby. I also want to ask you where is better chance to compose our working time in order to keep our child at home by ourselves , to change ships or maybe some part time job for me for the first time?
I hope I was more precisely about my dilemma.
Thank you all!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:12 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,320,642 times
You can't compare any city to NYC-sorry. No Florida cities are anything, remotely like NYC-it just isn't going to happen. Tampa/St. Pete are small cities-suburbs, where as NYC is a 24 hr. city, the city that never sleeps.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 AM

428 posts, read 1,373,003 times
Tampa and St. Pete are also two different types of areas. St. Pete is more water-oreinted, due to the bay and beaches, whereas Tampa, you'll have a little bit of a drive to get to a beach. Are you into boating, fishing, water sports, etc?

New York City, as mentioned, is beyojnd anything Florida has to offer in terms of city living.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:16 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,882,952 times
Default Florida for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laricak View Post
Dear all,

Thank you for your help!
I have lived in NYC and it is probably one of the best places in the world to live.....IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT......... It offers you everything you could possible want - other than good public schools - and it is basically open 24 hours a day....7 days a week....including holidays....but a studio apartment will easily run $1,500 to $2,000 a month in midtown....without utilities... and of course...NY......has one of the highest per person tax costs of any other states...and yes...it is very fast paced...Florida...on the other hand is slower paced....you get more for the money.......and in my opinion a much better place to live....however...it is your choice and unless you experience NY you will always wonder what it is like.....good luck

Old 04-04-2008, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 2,484 times
New York City is a wonderful, but expensive, place to live. There's a reason the pay is higher, and, at the end of the day, you won't have any more money left than if you lived in Florida. Most people I know who have children in NYC send them to private school, another expense. I think the 2 most important things to consider are where can you get a decent job, and where can you happily raise your child. You should also consider NYC suburbs, more family friendly than the city itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay