U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:51 PM

23,120 posts, read 37,195,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
And good for you. I just stated my opinion, as you did, and as the OP wanted. Every place has it's pros and cons. Just as you and your friends/family have found a satisfying career among some of the schools in Atlanta, they can find that here in the Tampa Bay as well...or anywhere for that matter.
Good for you and your opinion...do you care to offer the OP anything substantive as to why her experience will be better in Tampa than in Atlanta?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 01:29 PM

7 posts, read 66,943 times
Tampa better than Atlanta???? No way....I live in Saint Pete and would live in Atlanta any day, oh yea im a 22 yr old elem teacher...Ybor is nice but it gets old...i mean there is hard rock, the amphitheater and ybor and a couple night spots...other wise?????????????????????????????

Old 10-13-2008, 09:08 AM

265 posts, read 889,616 times
I was a lifelong Atlanta resident until moving to Tampa with my family last year. I still have family there. Atlanta has its nice points, the weather is generally pleasant and there is certainly greater night life, culinary, and other opportunities. Thats tempered by unbelievable traffic, generally uninviting people, and a notable crime rate. Atlanta has long been looked at as the jewel of the South, and that it may be; but its not the land of milk and honey it once was. The job market is as tight there as anywhere and affordable housing is only available in the suburbs.

Tampa has been good to us, the pace of life here is slower and I find the people warm and inviting. Traffic here is light, and most residents truly have no idea what real "Atlanta traffic" is like. I drove 18 miles to my last job in Atlanta, most days this would take at least an hour and a half and often more than two hours. Thats each way mind you... I now live 20 miles from Tampa and a typical rush hour drive takes me roughly 30-35 minutes. Cost of living is somewhat higher in Tampa, increased property taxes but no state income tax. In the end I found it all pretty much comes out even. The lack of night life and fine dining I find is easily offset by the beautiful weather, beaches, and other attractions.

So far as schools are concerned, my sister in law teaches in suburban Atlanta. She enjoys her job but finds the pay leaves a lot to be desired. How Tampa does I have no idea... Good luck!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:29 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,796,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
I was a lifelong Atlanta resident until moving to
. The lack of night life and fine dining I find is easily offset by the beautiful weather, beaches, and other attractions.
I think for a city the size of Tampa(330k, metro area of about 1.5M), the nightlife and dining options is better than most with equivilant size...you need to explore the city and area(SOHO, Hyde Park, Channelside, Ybor City, BayStreet, Westshore, South Tampa, St. Pete downtown...for example), there are numerous great eateries in the area, creativeloafing.com does a great job listing lots of great dining..

Atlanta is HUGE(600k and a metro area of nearly 6 million)!! and should hopfully have more of a nightlife and dining options considering the size and population of the city.

I liked Atlanta, and visiting, its pretty with hills and mountains nearby, but it is way too big and busy for the type of place I look for to LIVE. Visit, Yes, Live, No. Just My opinion.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:34 AM

598 posts, read 2,094,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robski917 View Post
I am originally from NJ and naturally would like to get away from the cold weather, am graduating from Clemson University in SC in May and am currently looking for a place to live/ begin my middle school teaching career. What should I know about living in Tampa? Is this a good place for a 23 year old to live? Are there good middle schools for me to teach at in the area?
Have you researched what cities in the country have a shortage of teachers? Maybe take a look at that and see what other options you have that maybe you haven't thought of.

Just curious why you picked specifically Tampa and Atlanta to focus on. Honestly, I really don't think the Tampa area is growing all that much in that field, since there have been mentions of school closings and budget cuts in the media. There are other great warmer places to live that are growing, ie. Greenville, SC... areas that a person doesn't think of off the top of their head and would be nicer/better quality of life than either of these two choices. Just some food for thought...

Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,665,194 times
You'll make more teaching in the Atlanta area.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:48 AM

26,793 posts, read 41,495,113 times
The traffic is worse in Atlanta and the gas prices are higher!

Old 03-05-2009, 09:34 PM

7 posts, read 20,895 times
I can only respond to Atlanta because I used to live on the West side and far from Atlanta (about 35 miles from Atlanta). I am also a Georgia native. Atlanta is a great city and the people are friendly. However, the traffic is as bad or worse than LA traffic. The smog is a big problem in the summer due to the high traffic and low transit opportunities. The interstates there are very fast and traffic is always always an issue.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:08 PM

274 posts, read 577,353 times
I lived in St. Pete for 3 1/2 years and moved up to ATL in May 08'. Personally I don't like Atlanta. Although you will more than likely make more money in ATL, the people here are just seem a little more rude and less inviting than the people I met in the Tampa/St. Pete area. The traffic is horrible, you get taxed more (example- I am currently making $10,000 a year more in ATL then I did in Tampa, but my check I get every 2 weeks is only $167 more than what I got in Tampa. FL doesn't have any state taxes which is really nice!)

I am still here in ATL and have been saving up to move back to the St. Pete area. I will be returning summer of 2010. After my first 4 months here I decided to move back to FL. Just having the option to go to so many beaches, outdoor concerts/festivals, being so close to places like Orlando, Daytona Beach, Miami, etc... There is no other place I would rather be than in the St.Pete/Tampa area. But then again, a lot of people love ATL. It really depends on what YOU want. I want sunshine, palm trees, beach and the ocean.

Good luck with your decision!!

Old 03-06-2009, 12:55 AM

5 posts, read 13,740 times
Alright so I joined this forum just to answer this question, so I'm going to analyze a lot of things other than just middle schools. And also because LovinDecatur is too sensitive and aggressive to opinions that favor Tampa

Im in my 20's as well, and have lived 25 minutes outside of ATL my entire life. I also, since I was young, have been visiting close family in Tampa a few times a year at least, so I feel I have a pretty good grasp of the tampa area. Atlanta is a great city, expansive, growing, incredible nightlife and dining variety, access to a lot of useful resources, etc. It really is a great city, great colleges like Tech and State, I actually went to State. Tech is awesome in engineering and aerospace, and state has one of the best business schools in the country with Real estate, CIS, MIS, Accounting, etc. Midtown is pretty cool and hip, even though Ponce is going down the drain, and Buckhead is CRAZY nice and upscale. Really great city and place.

Tampa, when I was getting older and would see while driving on 275, always looked so small in comparison to Atlanta, and i would often think "wow, tampa kinda sucks, so small, prob nothing to do". But as I got closer to my 20's and beyond, and started visiting a lot more, actually GOING to ST pete and Tampa, remembering it, and experiencing it versus when I was younger, it was AWESOME. I was stupid to judge the city by its size. And downtown Tampa btw really isn't that terrible in size. Great weather, body of water-->great beaches, pretty solid nightlife and dining actually, access to a lot of nice areas (bayshore, clearwater, channelside, the pier, etc.). Awesome.

With all that being said, in my honest opinion, Tampa is a great and better place to live (and Lovindecatur, there isn't a need to respond and say "well thats your opinion and mine is diff bla bla bla" because thats quite obvious as I'm clearly stating it). I think there are lots of single women in both cities, something I'm guessing you're pretty interested in. But in my personal experience, women in Tampa are friendlier/nicer/more genuine. People in atlanta always seem to be in a hurry. And some are nice, but a lot that I've come in contact with are stuck up, cocky, and nowhere near as engaging and friendly as people in the Tampa Bay area are(Note to lovindecatur: I don't have substantive evidence; however, I do have substantive EXPERIENCE). And remember, I do like Atlanta. Tampa+Clearwater+St Pete make a really formidable place to live. Don't get me wrong, Buckhead, Midtown, and downtown are great too, but the TRAFFIC (which is awful on 85, 20's not so bad, 285 can be bad) is WAY worse, drivers, though faster, are WAY MORE rude and crazy. The traffic, even when "bad" in tampa, is substantially better than Atlanta

When it comes to middle schools in Atlanta nad the surrounding area, I would say you would maybe get paid a bit more, but I think teaching in MS would be relatively similar in the south (you and others would probably know this better than me) in terms of payscale. I think its nice Tampa doesn't have state taxes. But teaching in ATL and its surrounding area, to me, would not be as high, though barely, in quality, as maybe teaching in Tampa, St pete, or a surrounding area. I know someone thats a MS teacher in Tampa, and he likes it quite well. There are always going to be good and bad no matter where you go, but IMO, there are more "bad", low quality MS schools in ATL and its surrounding area than in tampa, whether that be because of the higher population, thus more kids, thus more risk, I don't know. But thats my educated opinion.

I give women the edge to Tampa. Also, pollution and smog is nowhere near the problem in Tampa than in Atlanta. Atlanta obviously the worse crime rate. Worser traffic by far. This next point doesn't bother me at all, but I'll mention it in case it may affect you. Atlanta has a large homosexual population, especially in the area around Piedmont Park and such. This doesn't bother me, but I know people who it does affect.

Something underrated, along with the weather: palm trees. Being up north I would assume you don't see many. We don't have any here in Atlanta either. But the sight of palm trees and moderate but nice weather, even during the winter tends to be more relaxing and an upbeat feeling versus atlanta's bipolar rainy/cold/warm weather during the winter tends to be somewhat gloomy every now and then. Seeing as you are from jersey and trying to avoid the cold weather, it would suit you well to do research a bit more and harder on schools in Tampa vs Atlanta.

Check this site out. It should help you quite a bit. Good luck! //www.city-data.com/top1.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or