Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 14,294 times

Advertisements

I am originally from NJ and naturally would like to get away from the cold weather, am graduating from Clemson University in SC in May and am currently looking for a place to live/ begin my middle school teaching career. What should I know about living in Tampa? Is this a good place for a 23 year old to live? Are there good middle schools for me to teach at in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 08:39 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,375,978 times
Atlanta is HUGE and not near the Ocean, and has all the amenities of a big, thriving city, gets HOT AND HUMID in the summers, and CHILLY in the winters. Tampa is smaller and located on a Bay, and near the Ocean(Gulf), has all the amenities of a big city, but on a much smaller scale, gets HOT AND HUMID in the summers, but more temperate in the winters. There are LOTS of young professionals in Tampa/St. Pete area, 2 major universities, USF and University of Tampa.
What else do you look for in a living enviornment besides weather?

I'll let others comment about teaching and middle schools in the Tampa Bay area.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:21 AM

86 posts, read 264,969 times
There are plenty of great middle schools to teach at in Tampa. I believe that Hillsborough county is the 9th largest school district in the country.

Pasco county also has great schools, but it is a much smaller district, and IMO, has a little better benefit package. I don't know much about Pinellas county schools.

Here are links to the three:

Human Resources

Welcome to Pasco County Schools (http://www.pasco.k12.fl.us/employment/pages/employ_opp.html - broken link)

http://www.pinellas.k12.fl.us/hr/jobs.html (broken link)

Good luck making your decision!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:36 AM

598 posts, read 2,268,194 times
Why not contact a large sampling of teachers from each city directly and get their hands-on assessment of the field and their advice? I think you will likely get a more accurate picture of each city and what you will be dealing with in your future work environment by speaking with teachers, rather than random folks on the forum. The weather may be nice and maybe the ocean is an attractive feature but I think it's probly more important knowing what it's like being a teacher in each city. Good luck with your decision!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:07 PM

37 posts, read 178,776 times
This is one of the largest school sys. in the country. There should be no problem finding work in your field. And yes, there are bunches of middle schools in the area. Both in the Hillsborough county, and Pinelas county over in St Petersburg. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:49 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,579 times
Atlanta isn't the best city. I wouldn't say Tampa is either, but I think you'll find it a little more enjoyable to teach in this area than in Atlanta.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,247 times
From what I have read, Hillsborough County has a really bad school system. Also, Tampa is no better than Atlanta. Try St. Petersburg or Sarasota.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:37 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
Atlanta all the way, it is a "real" city.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Atlanta isn't the best city. I wouldn't say Tampa is either, but I think you'll find it a little more enjoyable to teach in this area than in Atlanta.
Rather broad, don't you think?
The Atlanta area is made of many school systems; some good, some bad.
The OP can certainly find a satisfying career situation among them, as did I, my sister, and many of my friends.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:35 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,579 times
And good for you. I just stated my opinion, as you did, and as the OP wanted. Every place has it's pros and cons. Just as you and your friends/family have found a satisfying career among some of the schools in Atlanta, they can find that here in the Tampa Bay as well...or anywhere for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Rather broad, don't you think?
The Atlanta area is made of many school systems; some good, some bad.
The OP can certainly find a satisfying career situation among them, as did I, my sister, and many of my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay