U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 08:56 PM

32 posts, read 115,632 times

Advertisements

hello...my family and i live in kentucky and have been trying to decide for the past few years if we want to move to st petersburg..i grew up going there a few times a year for vacation and now have taken my husband and two daughers ages 9 and 10 for several years...but i know vacation is quite different from living and working there...i love the area and my mom has a condo there and lives in kentucky and goes back and forth...i was looking for some advice on how safe the area is for children...how safe the schools are and any other information that might be helpful...thanks

also...i work in the medical office field and am currently taking classes and my husband works in a plant/factory and has for 10 years...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 PM

792 posts, read 2,078,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl27 View Post
hello...my family and i live in kentucky and have been trying to decide for the past few years if we want to move to st petersburg..i grew up going there a few times a year for vacation and now have taken my husband and two daughers ages 9 and 10 for several years...but i know vacation is quite different from living and working there...i love the area and my mom has a condo there and lives in kentucky and goes back and forth...i was looking for some advice on how safe the area is for children...how safe the schools are and any other information that might be helpful...thanks

also...i work in the medical office field and am currently taking classes and my husband works in a plant/factory and has for 10 years...thanks

Compared to Kentucky, it will be a big change as far as schools go. The level of diversity is much higher here. And, I don't mean in a good way.

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I got kids and we moved them from a similar type school system, as those in Kentucky, to those in St. Petersburg and I was shocked at the number of hoodlums at these schools.

Thankfully the "choice" program is being abolished, so it should return to normal in a few years, then it will be like any other school.

Also the emphasis on the FCAT is ridiculous. They spend so much time preparing for that stupid test, that they don't learn anything useful. Again, the government is trying to make stupid kids smart, by making them prepare for that test all year long. If a kid is smart or dumb, that will be known regardless of what test they prepare for.

Plus, all the Magnet schools are in the slummy parts of the city where you won't want your kids to go. So just send them to a school close to where you live and help them along(like parents should), and they'll do fine.

You really gotta keep a close eye on them as opposed to schools in the country. There are so many bad elements here that can derail them, you need to be very watchful.

I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to give an honest opinion from someone who has been in your shoes and moved here.

Overall, I think it's worked out pretty good for my kids. But like I said earlier, my wife and I are very involved in our kids education. Most parents around here don't seem to care and it shows tremendously in their kids behavior.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:16 PM

32 posts, read 115,632 times
Default florida virtual middle/high school

thanks for the information...my daughters will be in 7th and 9th grades when we move and i was looking into the florida virtual middle and high school...both girls are very smart and independent so this may be an option..anyone have an opinion on this...i guess my biggest worry is if they will be able to do the normal things like here in kentucky..like getting a job while in high school..will it be a worry for me that they will be safe even working at the mall or mcdonalds...things that i don't have to worry about here...

Old 04-09-2008, 09:39 AM

56 posts, read 149,621 times
Quote:
thanks for the information...my daughters will be in 7th and 9th grades when we move and i was looking into the florida virtual middle and high school...both girls are very smart and independent so this may be an option..anyone have an opinion on this...i guess my biggest worry is if they will be able to do the normal things like here in kentucky..like getting a job while in high school..will it be a worry for me that they will be safe even working at the mall or mcdonalds...things that i don't have to worry about here...

Me and my husband are thinking of moving to Florida, so we went there for a couple of days to drive around the towns and see what areas we would like to move to. Were from Long Island and we have our share of bad neighborhoods, but nothing like St Petersburg. Just to give you an example,we were at a red light, and there were two prostatutes on one corner and there was a drug deal going on the other corner,and that was in the middle of the afternoon. We locked our doors and got the hell out of there.Needless to say we did find realy nice areas further north,we liked New Port Richey,Holiday,Palm Harbor,and Oldsmar. They had nice neighborhoods,mature landscaping,clean shopping centers,and the houses were very afordable. We like the beaches on the east coast better,I think the water is nicer. Just my opinion though. I wish we could find areas like Oldsmar and New Port Richey on the east coast does anyone know of any areas??

Old 04-09-2008, 11:12 AM

121 posts, read 476,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Also the emphasis on the FCAT is ridiculous. They spend so much time preparing for that stupid test, that they don't learn anything useful. Again, the government is trying to make stupid kids smart, by making them prepare for that test all year long. If a kid is smart or dumb, that will be known regardless of what test they prepare for.
100% AGREED. Two of the coworkers in my office have children, and they talk about it at length. The amount of education children are NOT receiving is unbelievable. Some schools around here have gone as far as to cut Social Studies and Phonics out of the curriculum, all to give more time to prepare for a test that does not properly allocate the intelligence of those taking it.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:40 AM

428 posts, read 1,354,503 times
Quote:
As far as working, the malls are safe. Anything in the 4th St corridor is safe. Stay clear of South Central (4th St S to 49th St S, 5 Ave S to 54th Ave S)and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay