U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,725,286 times

Advertisements

After a couple years you'll adapt like everyone else. You'll be freezing at 72 degs. and looking for the coat, scarf and gloves..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,392,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I also get a grin when it drops down to 55 and you see people walking around in thick sweaters and heavy coats. Drop it down to 45 and the mittens and ear muffs come out.

Having originally lived up north, I used to think it was just because they aren't used to it. But after being here for 7 years, I wonder if they don't race for the winter clothes because it's a chance to wear something different for once!

Almost guaranteed, if you own 7 sweaters, you'll probably only wear each one once during a Florida Winter. Therefore, when the temperature drops, I find myself racing to my dresser drawer thinking, "Whoo-hoo! Sweaters!"
I'm one of those people who gets cold when the temperature is below 75 degrees, so I put on a sweater or jacket. Now I know why people are grinning at me - it's kind of depressing though - I thought all you folks were smiling at me because you're so friendly.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
EB2

1,927 posts, read 5,624,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I'm one of those people who gets cold when the temperature is below 75 degrees, so I put on a sweater or jacket. Now I know why people are grinning at me - it's kind of depressing though - I thought all you folks were smiling at me because you're so friendly.
LOL.

Several weeks ago it would be in the high 40's up into the high 50's in the AM when I would catch the bus to work/class, and the riders would all have sweaters or jackets on, while I was sitting there in jeans, sandals, and a tshirt (and they all looked at me like I was nuts!) - the driver would even have the heat on some days!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:26 PM

9 posts, read 76,195 times
LOL! this is super funny! I live in PA and we freeze our asses off!! now to be cold at 72 degs... i can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
After a couple years you'll adapt like everyone else. You'll be freezing at 72 degs. and looking for the coat, scarf and gloves..........

Old 04-18-2008, 04:25 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,478,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divaluv13 View Post
LOL! this is super funny! I live in PA and we freeze our asses off!! now to be cold at 72 degs... i can't wait!

That is a little bit of an exageration I think. I`ve been in florida 22 years and 72 is not cold I don`t wear a jacket unles it`s in the low 50`s.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:51 PM

717 posts, read 639,398 times
In New York we have a good amount of 90 degree days in July and August. The summers are not as long as in Florida as far as heat goes. But when it is 95 HHandH in NYCity its absolutely disgusting. The Air quality is pis poor. There is this golden haze hanging over the city all day and when you breathe you feel it.
In Florida you do not have the air quality issues in the summer and it makes a huge differrence.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:20 PM

2,259 posts, read 8,999,193 times
The problem in the summer time is that you are dressed for the heat and outdoors - shorts, sandals, lightweight clothing etc, and then you go into a restaurant or store, and freeze from the air conditioning. I always had a lightweight cardigan or jacket in the car to slip on for going inside restaurants.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:32 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,499,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I've read people say Tampa has the best weather in Nov-May. What is the weather like in June-Oct? Is it just hot and humid? Here in the mid west, temps get in the 90's and so does the humidity, is that what people mean?

Tampa being subtropical, I assume it rains daily, is it a pop up afternoon storm or heavier?

As someone from the midwest, here's the difference. When the temps get in the 90's and high humidity in the midwest, it is usually for a day or two and at night it gets cooler. Now, imagine the hottest and most humid day in the midwest and pretend that it is always like this (and it's still hot at night) for over 5 months straight. That is the difference. So the worst and hottest day in Indie, every day for 5 months. It's too hot to even go to the beach.

It also rains for a few hours each day during hurricane season, unfortunantely, it's during most people's drive home (between 4-6 some time) so there is no avoiding it. And its TORRENTIAL rain.

As other's mentioned, some people like it. I can't handle it at all. I tried to go swimming, but I found it to not be refreshing as it was so hot outside that the pool becomes like bath water. My best advice would be to visit for 3 or 4 days in July or August and then see what you think!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:04 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,478,205 times
I agree with the heat, I lived in Rhode Island and it is alot more humid and steamy here then Up north no comparison IMO.

In the mornings around here in the summer jul-aug you wake up to 80 degree temps at 5 am.

The heat does not really bother me too much but being here 22 years you get used to it and expect it just like living up North you get used to the cold but I prefer heat over cold.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:51 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,770,436 times
I'm a big fan of the summers, boating and beaching it and laying on a raft in the pool or ocean without being in freezing waters..ahhhh! And its nice to know that the sun is shining almost everyday, and there is a little excitment waiting most late afternoons(thunderstorms)..its mostly from June through September, from October when the first cold front blows through to May, nice blue skies, mostly sunny days...im originally from NY, and i'll take a few months of warmer than usual summers over the grey, bone chilling, depressing long cold winter days...but thats just me! And I also dont have to cram in all my outdoor activities/festivals etc.. into 3 or 4 months, I can do everything outdoors year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or