U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:00 PM

1,480 posts, read 4,626,715 times

Advertisements

Tampa has been good to me, I have to say. The weather is great and there is enough to do. But there is something about a place where a majority of people are from somewhere else. Not just the tourists, most residents that I've met relocated here and then we leave again. So most people don't think of it as home. People act different when they live in a community where their family has lived for a generation or more.

It's hard to explain, but people are just a little crazier here. There are great people and it is easy to make friends, don't get me wrong. It's easy to make the wrong friends, too. It seems like everyone is just passing through and thinks "you will never get to talk to my mom, so I can be as wild as I want." It's also a vice town - plenty of drugs and strippers.

It's also frustrating that there has been no regional authority with a plan for growth. Developers own this place and it's a hodge-podge of neighborhoods and "communites" with no distict character or central sense of a place... with exception for the old parts of town, of course. That's most of America, though, I suppose.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 06:50 PM

90 posts, read 324,874 times
There are some great things about Florida, you can't beat the sunsets, beaches are gorgeous, love the dolphins, palm trees, spanish moss, snowy egrets, plumeria, orange blossoms, scent of jasmine, you can swim almost year-round, great thunderstorms in the summertime.

BUT being a New York girl at heart, I gotta tell you the restaurants down here really SUCK ('scuze my french). Well I did find one fabulous Indian restaurant in Clearwater; I've found a good sushi place, and a reasonable Italian (the owners are from Long Island). Other than that, forget it. Especially Chinese! UGH!

And the roads here are insane. People complain about "New York drivers" but I feel much safer on the Long Island Expressway. Down here there are tons of little old people who shouldn't be driving anymore, or else very drunk people in pick up trucks. I see people getting air-lifted to hospitals off of US 19 on a daily basis.

Speaking of US 19, the entire road is nothing but Amscots and strip clubs. I'm embarrassed when friends come to visit me from up north. I've got to get away from US 19!!!

I wish I could go back "home" to NY but it's so much more expensive to live there, it's just impossible. I can get a nice condo here for $150k; I can get a nice condo in Brooklyn for a million dollars. So I guess I'm just staying put.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:40 AM

5 posts, read 12,877 times
I love it here in Brandon! There are so many places to hang out, its a great location to live in. I just moved into Lucerne Apartments 2 months ago and I love it.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:50 PM

6 posts, read 14,931 times
I've lived here for almost six years. I have a sort of love/hate relationship with Tampa. Though, more love I will say. I'm a Florida native and most of my family and friends live Florida, and my two best friends stay in Tampa. I love how it's a big enough city, but not really big. I also love that I have easy access to beaches. With all that said though, I'm considering relocating for two reasons: 1) The job market here isn't as booming as in -say- Atlanta or D.C, also in general the wages are better. 2) As I said before, I'm a Florida native and have lived here all my life. I want to experience something new. As much as I like Tampa, theres more exciting/thriving places to live than here.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,561,227 times
job market is non existant here, if u have money u can have fun here, from june through october u will die in the african type heat...most that have money are entrepenuers/business owners, very little money in corporate type gigs here for most part....many sketchy transients. will probably be just like miami within 10 years

Old 05-09-2008, 03:12 PM

23 posts, read 94,569 times
Pinellas county is too densely populated, i believe it is actually the most densely populated county in the nation. Millions of people in such a small space. The problem is that if you go to Pasco, or anywhere in Hillsborough that isnt Tampa, you are pushing the middle of nowhere.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:54 PM

59 posts, read 217,123 times
Default Ok!

I lived in tampa for a few years and it was ok but not my city of choice I moved back to Ohio in March.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:45 PM

79 posts, read 308,887 times
Been here from NYC for about 3 months now. Born and raised in NYC for 38 years. Here are my preliminary impressions of the Tampa area so far:

- Tampa itself, particularly in the city limits, is an armpit. A stinky armpit. And I've lived in the hood in NYC, so that's saying a lot.

- I'm in law enforcement. Recently I encountered someone who had 45 arrests to his name. 45 ARRESTS!!! That would make the news in NYC, believe it or not. Here, it's like "whatever".

- Scary looking people with red skin and mullets and pickups and really bad teeth.

- The homeless folks everywhere downtown. I saw a poor guy on the floor the other day, peeing himself. Sad.

- Too many darn sex offenders. Again, I'm in law enforcement and I'm starting to learn quickly how bad it is. I guess it's the heat.

- I second (third, fourth?) the previously made points about the food being bad. Hard to find a good food, let alone great food. I've eaten in some of the simplest, hole in the wall places in NYC, and one month into my stay here I got horrible food poisoning for the first time in my life. The cuban food's good, and some other places. Downtown really has bad food, ironically enough.

- Again, very reckless drivers. Serious tailgaters. Everyone's in a friggin hurry all the time, to go where I don't know.

Now, the good stuff:

- Beautiful weather so far. Absolutely beautiful. Most days are completely sunny and radiant. It's invigorating.

- Lot's of friendly, hospitable people.

- Lower cost of living than the big cities.

- Outside of Tampa proper, like Odessa, Lutz, etc., absolutely another world from Tampa. Nice, clean, quiet communities, progressive people, lower crime, nice well kept houses.

- Proximity to beaches. It's nice to know I can go to a great beach pretty quickly whenever I want. St. Pete and Clearwater have some nice communities.

- If you've got a good job w/a decent income, or better yet two incomes, can live very comfortably.

- I like the "wildlife" - the ducks, lizards, frogs, birds galore - even the insects (except the mosquitos). We had wildlife in NYC, but not the good kind.

If I could do it all over again, probably would not have chosen Tampa. But will probably stay because my wife and I have good jobs and we've seen enuf places just outside of Tampa that are quite appealing. Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM

265 posts, read 889,418 times
[quote=kb1984;3697129]The job market here isn't as booming as in -say- Atlanta or D.C, also in general the wages are better.QUOTE]

As an longtime Atlantan who recently moved to Tampa let me be the first to tell you Atlanta's job market is in utter turmoil. Its largest employers are struggling. Delta is emerging from bankruptcy, the automotive industry has all but left already, UPS is suffering due the economic slide and increasing fuel costs, and because of the housing decline Home Depot is in the same boat. Even Coke is having its own struggles. I posted a link a few weeks ago about a Wal-Mart opening near downtown Atlanta. They were filling 350 positions for which over 9,500 applied. Over 1,000 of the applicants were college graduates. If being a college grad and working for minimum wage at Wal-Mart is booming, Atlanta is certainly the place for you.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:27 PM

190 posts, read 708,023 times
How do the homeless street people live through the extreme summer heat and humidity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay