U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:09 AM

121 posts, read 476,977 times

Advertisements

For those of you who decided to move here, what are your impressions of Tampa? Are you glad you moved? Regretting it? What have you come to love and hate about the Tampa Bay/St. Pete area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 07:09 AM
EB2

1,927 posts, read 5,621,984 times
I think parts of the state are absolutely gorgeous - and there are things I like a lot about the state.

However, I think it's better to vacation than to live here. I'm a northerner at heart, and seem to handle the cold/northern lifestyle a little better than the heat/southern lifestyle (though, those are nice on the rare occasion :P)

Old 04-08-2008, 09:40 AM

66 posts, read 253,762 times
I am thinking of moving there too, i've only been for a vacation and it was great. I can't take the new england cold and boring lifestyle , sorry. I realize I will be working and it wont be a vacation but I still prefer a warm climate over a boring cold winter . Some of my friends regret moving down there , others come running back to the Northeast, and others are still there. I dont really like the idea of having to deal with hurricanes that much, it scares me because i've never experienced such a thing, but I'd rather deal with those over earthquakes. Atleast they prepare you for hurricanes... Good luck to ya

Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela828 View Post
I am thinking of moving there too, i've only been for a vacation and it was great. I can't take the new england cold and boring lifestyle , sorry. I realize I will be working and it wont be a vacation but I still prefer a warm climate over a boring cold winter . Some of my friends regret moving down there , others come running back to the Northeast, and others are still there. I dont really like the idea of having to deal with hurricanes that much, it scares me because i've never experienced such a thing, but I'd rather deal with those over earthquakes. Atleast they prepare you for hurricanes... Good luck to ya
While I can't predict the hurricanes, I will say that in the 7 years I've been here, Tampa has been very lucky in regards to them. As well, Tampa has a phenominal preperation system in place, and the only hurricane related deaths we've had seem to come from "stupidity moves" (i.e. those who decide it'll be fun to put together a makeshift pontoon boat and go rafting down Bayshore Blvd. ).

During the "big shebang" of 2005, when Florida got hit one after another with hurricanes, Tampa still lucked out. We either received only the tip of a hurricane, or it had lost steam by the time it got to us. The most damage sustained was flooding, moreso to the north of us than anyplace else. Power outages and downed trees were another problem, but that's not uncommon anywhere in the U.S. during bad storms.

The most dangerous thing we've dealt with regarding the hurricanes...is insurance.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 PM

265 posts, read 884,216 times
My family moved to the Apollo Beach area from the Atlanta suburbs last fall. Alltogether we're glad we made the move. I work and spend a lot of time in the Davis Island area. Cost of living certainly seems higher, be it fuel, electricity, water, insurance, you name it. That being said, Atlanta has long been known for its moderate to low cost of living. I figure by time you consider the lack of State Income Taxes in FL and the sagging value of the dollar its pretty much a wash.

The weather here is great, and by comparison to Atlanta traffic is a breeze. I almost find it comical to hear locals complain about the traffic. I find the pace of life here is a bit slower and we needed that change. In general the people are friendly and inviting. Entertainment beyond just Orlando and the beaches is pretty available be it Gasparilla, the Aquarium, Busch, and other festivals. If you travel as I do, the Tampa Airport is outstanding.

As for things I dislike, the toll roads are a bit of a nuisance. Tampa has more than its fair share of terrible drivers. I've got to be honest that the cuisine here leaves a lot to be desired. My family heils from SW Louisiana so I generally prefer my food a little spicy, that being the case Tampa doesnt really do well for that. I've tried most of the best eateries Tampa has to offer, and as opposed to other large cities Tampa is really bad for restaurants. The notable exceptions are the Seafood, Thai, and Cuban cuisine which are excellent in Tampa.

If given the chance to do it all over again, the only thing I'd change is my choice of homebuilder. But thats a different story alltogether...

Old 04-08-2008, 01:15 PM

22 posts, read 60,881 times
I absolutely love living in Tampa. I live in South Tampa and there are great restaurants, beautiful bay to enjoy walking and the weather is fantastic. Also, it is a very manageable city to get around.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
As for things I dislike, the toll roads are a bit of a nuisance. Tampa has more than its fair share of terrible drivers. I've got to be honest that the cuisine here leaves a lot to be desired. My family heils from SW Louisiana so I generally prefer my food a little spicy, that being the case Tampa doesnt really do well for that. I've tried most of the best eateries Tampa has to offer, and as opposed to other large cities Tampa is really bad for restaurants. The notable exceptions are the Seafood, Thai, and Cuban cuisine which are excellent in Tampa.
Oh yes. One word about Tampa restaurants: Chains.

There are so many chains here you're on overload. If you took a drive from North Tampa to South Tampa (oh, I'd say about 25 miles), guaranteed you'd pass at least 4 Fridays, 2 Ruby Tuesdays, 3 Starbucks, and a handful of other chains.

You're right about the exceptions though - at least on the Cuban. I'm terrified of Thai because I can't handle spice, so I'll surely take your word for it.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,769,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Oh yes. One word about Tampa restaurants: Chains.

There are so many chains here you're on overload. If you took a drive from North Tampa to South Tampa (oh, I'd say about 25 miles), guaranteed you'd pass at least 4 Fridays, 2 Ruby Tuesdays, 3 Starbucks, and a handful of other chains.

You're right about the exceptions though - at least on the Cuban. I'm terrified of Thai because I can't handle spice, so I'll surely take your word for it.
In Tampa to stay away from the chains, visit some of the "restaurant rows" in Tampa that offer excellent independent choices..Like South Howard Avenue from Kennedy Blvd to Bayshore Blvd(Mangrove's, TC Choy, Cheap, SOHO Sushi, Taqueria Cantina, The Rack, Oasis Cafe, 717 South, Thai Hut, Lime, Water, Side Bern's, Bern's, Bella's, Ceviche); or 7th Avenue area in Ybor City(Columbia, Carmine's, Raw Sushi and Sake Bar, Bernini, La Terraza, Acropolis, Cephas, La Creperia, Mema's, Streetcar Charlies, Tampa Bay Brewing Company, Laughing Cat); and neighborhood areas in South Tampa and Downtown(Byblos, Genghis Khan, Yoko's, Pane Rustica, Cellini's, Mad Dogs and Englishmen, Pach's Place, Black Bean Cafe, Wooden Door, Wine Exchange, Restaurant BT, Malio's, Fly Bar, Cafe Dufrain, Yeoman's Road, Zelda's Cafe, Mise En Place, SPAIN)...just some ideas....

Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 AM

190 posts, read 593,228 times
Default the super cheap bosses!!!!!!!!!!

i must say that the only thing i don't like here in Tampa is when i went on some job interviews, companies are cheap. from providence RI the cost of living is very similar, yet here they pay less, and tell you it because of the cost of living difference. i have to disagree tho. i paint cars and insurance companies pay the same here or anywhere, so it comes down to employers are just elcheapo's and thats that...not to mention it cost significantly less to own a shop here in Florida because of no heat bills.

and like said before, the restaurant selection, is NOT very good. even the independent restaurants serve food like the chains so what s the difference really???

Old 04-09-2008, 05:01 AM

792 posts, read 2,079,127 times
If I had it to do over again, I would have probably moved somewhere else less populated.

But, since i'm already here and settled, I won't move. However, when I retire, I will certainly move out of state.

There are things I genuinely love about Florida. The winters is probably the biggest thing. You can't beat the winters here.
It's nice being a few miles from the beach, although I rarely go there anymore.
There are lots of things to do here. Tourism is Florida's biggest industry, so there is always something going on and neat places to visit.

As for dislikes,
population density
summer heat
crime and lowlifes(Florida is a magnet for homeless and other scumbags because of the warm climate)
cost of living-any shack will run you $150K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay