Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,476 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
Here is my case. I was pulled over while driving on 60 near Bayport (Grand Hyatt). It was a biker cop. He pulled me over and I was really frightened, since I have never been in this situation before I didnt know what to do.
He asks me what the speed limit is and I said 40, to which he replies. Sir you were driving 70 on 40. I was dumbfounded by his appearance, his voice and mean look. I told him that i had an interview call to take and I was just driving home and didnt want to hit a red light. But he wasn't willing to listen, and said license and registration please. To this I handed over the insurance that I had for the car but I didnt have my wallet on me. It was in the trunk with my bag, but I was so scarred that he wud arrest me or something, I didnt want to take the chance, moreover he was hardly giving me any gap to speak, so I said its at home, cos thats the best bet. I can always check if its at home too. I didnt know what else to do. He asked me to write my name and so I did and he got it wrong on the ticket. I told him that I live in Texas and I am here in Tampa temporarily and he asked me to write my Texas address, my phone number and my name. I gave it to him. Inspite of the corrected name he couldn't pull me out on the system. He asked me to sign a ticket which had incorrect name on it and I tried to tell him but he was already fretting and grunting. I didnt want to end up in jail cos he was threatening me that if I wad not turn up in the system he wud put me in jail.
He asked me to call someone to pick me up and I did while he was getting frustrated by the minute. It was nice of him to not arrest me, my friends came and picked me up. Another friend of mine drove the car right back to the office and when I checked my bag; the wallet was indeed in there.
Now I have never been in such a mess, could someone be kind enough to give some advice to how to go about it.
I have done some research and found out that I can show the license to the clerk and s/he can get me out by paying $7.50 before going to the criminal court. And as far as the speeding ticket is concerned it is 30+ so court infraction is required and I really dont know how I should put my case.
I am under lot of stress already, I have a sister with cancer in India and I am the only person earning to help pay the bills. The job market is already bad. I have never defaulted in paying my credit cards or anything else. I have always been sincere towards everything. I really am in a financial crunch situation. Is there a stress course or something that the judge can ask me to do and not spoil my record.
Please help
In dire need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Never get behind the wheel without your liscense and registration in the vehicle with you. It's a tough lesson to learn, but cops don't care about your problems.

If your liscense was in the trunk, you should have told him that. Cops aren't monsters, they just want the truth from you and the proper documents.

Your best bet, is to just pay your fines and chalk it up to experience.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:52 AM

105 posts, read 243,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Never get behind the wheel without your liscense and registration in the vehicle with you. It's a tough lesson to learn, but cops don't care about your problems.

If your liscense was in the trunk, you should have told him that. Cops aren't monsters, they just want the truth from you and the proper documents.

Your best bet, is to just pay your fines and chalk it up to experience.
At the end of the day you were speeding like the previous guy said there not interested in your problems, welcome to the real world!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,476 times
Thank you all for your encouraging reply. I feel quite positive now. I will go ahead and pay the fine and yes I did learn my lesson.

Bottom line dont get tensed about your family that you loose sense of yourself.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Thumbs up So you made a mistake!!

first i am glad i saw your post.. Now you need to mail the court a letter stating that the officer was very rude to you at curb side and that the name on the citation is incorrect.but that you will still appear as you sign the citation. Also state that at your appearence you will Demand to have a Verified Complaint filed by the injured party ( this in your Constitutional Right most people don't know) Also look at the ticket send him a letter demanding a Verified Complaint on the Citation . Why should you do this ? Because he can not comply with you Constitutional Demand. No one was injured , so the court has NO jurisdiction to hear the case, an the court has to dismiss the matter or they have violated your Constitutional Rights. In California ,on the bottom of every ticket the have the # c.p.c.853.9( California penal code 853.9) go on line read it, the ticket is not a verified complaint it tells you that . It's the same in every state . It's there to inform you of your Constitutional Rights , but how many people know? . It also that you have a right to demand it when you go to court the first time . As i said before they can't give you the verified complaint because No one was injured and the officer in every case that this has been used fails to appear and the judge dismisses the case. Need more info , direct message and i will help.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:13 AM

70 posts, read 363,314 times
I am sorry about your problems and I hope that you get the name/address issue resolved.

If you were doing 70 in a 40, you were rightfully ticketed.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
I find it strange and disturbing how many people are not aware of their Constitutional Rights . with this they still support the U.S. sending troops to war for these rights that we don't know and we don't use ? strange ...........
WAKE UP AMERICA!!! It's not about safer road ways , IT'S all about the money, read the discription of the actions of the officer. he Violated many of your rights. TITLE 18, 241-242. Excess use of authority under color of LAW. Do a citizen arrest. he violated Constitutional law that he swore an oath to uphold when he put that badge on his chest, that violation of law would give him jail time !!!!!!

Last edited by Fighter 1; 04-09-2008 at 09:31 AM..

Old 04-09-2008, 10:14 AM

86 posts, read 265,091 times
I'm sorry to hear about your experience and your sister.

However, I'm glad he pulled you over and ticketed you. Driving 70 in a 40 is dangerous and irresponsible.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
Does FL have a defensive driving course to take so that after the fine is payed, you can take this course and not have the ticket go against your insurance premium?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:58 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Does FL have a defensive driving course to take so that after the fine is payed, you can take this course and not have the ticket go against your insurance premium?
Yes they have online driving course for that, I know because I got a speeeding ticket. It was $29.00 and didn't take long to complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: