Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:08 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times

Advertisements

The ferry service was never expected to be for commuters. It takes too long to cross the bay and the cost wouldn't make it viable. I think the first crossing was around 9:00 am, which is pretty useless to a cubicle dweller working downtown.

It's intended more for the evening event crowd and touristas.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 08:55 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,283,652 times
MAFB-South County ferry system might be viable.
Quicker shorter distance.
At least choo choo Ed thinks so...
https://edturanchik.com/news/

Old 02-21-2019, 06:24 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
The ferry service was never expected to be for commuters. It takes too long to cross the bay and the cost wouldn't make it viable. I think the first crossing was around 9:00 am, which is pretty useless to a cubicle dweller working downtown.

It's intended more for the evening event crowd and touristas.

RM

Is it a high speed ferry? How long does the crossing take?

Old 02-21-2019, 06:57 AM

68 posts, read 104,465 times
I think a fast ferry say from around the Pier or around say the Vinoy area to around Bayshore (maybe) would be a doable, but the question would be capacity and ROI

Old 02-21-2019, 07:06 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Is it a high speed ferry? How long does the crossing take?
Not to my knowledge. It takes 50 minutes to cross the bay. I see it in the channel from my office, and it moves pretty slow there due to it being a “no wake zone”.

RM

Old 02-21-2019, 07:38 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Not to my knowledge. It takes 50 minutes to cross the bay. I see it in the channel from my office, and it moves pretty slow there due to it being a “no wake zone”.

RM
Oh yeah, that ain't gonna work for commuters

Old 02-21-2019, 04:27 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Boat does 30knts when not in a no wake zone blake.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:23 PM

44 posts, read 49,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
After surviving 3-4 yrs of road improvements along 275 south the state wants to put up barricades again to help fix an area they just got done fixing. Sounds like "malfunction junction" They have tried 3 times to fix that, and to make things worse they added the crosstown connector to make it worse.

5 yrs of "Bob's Barricades" to more then likely add to the problem of HF/veterans/Airport/westshore. I guess this will be Malfunction Junction 2. It seems the only one benefiting is Bob's bank account.

https://www.tampabay.com/transportat...ange-20190218/
Anyone remember prior to I-275, when the Howard Franklin Bridge was only one bridge, for lane and not sure if it had a drawbridge or not not but it did have some sort of drawbridge operator's cab on the right hand side going towards Tampa?

This was also in the days prior to the opening of the new TIA terminal in 1971.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:32 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafwso View Post
Anyone remember prior to I-275, when the Howard Franklin Bridge was only one bridge, for lane and not sure if it had a drawbridge or not not but it did have some sort of drawbridge operator's cab on the right hand side going towards Tampa?

This was also in the days prior to the opening of the new TIA terminal in 1971.
It was built in 1960 and was not a draw bridge. The causeway had a draw bridge before the new bridge replaced it in 1975. Used to catch jewfish under that bridge when the new one was being built in 1975.

The white box you saw on the Tampa side housed electric and control boxes for the bridge.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:56 PM

39 posts, read 60,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
The biggest problem is they keep trying to make things better but each time create other problems or make things worse. It wouldn't be so bad if they actually made things better with the three or four years of barricades.
I truly do believe the toll roads are a big reason for all the problems. Toll roads only succeed by making sure the free roads fail. If the free roads are moving what's the point in using the toll roads? That's the problem with them, it makes the state NOT want to truly help the free roads.

I live in Orlando and we are seeing it with I-4, putting 2 toll lanes in the middle. If they just expanded I-4 to 6 lanes each way things would probably get a lot better, but by keeping I-4 in Orlando at 4 free lanes and just adding 2 toll lanes each way they are banking on the free lanes continuing to fail. Otherwise no one will use the toll lanes. They have even said that after all the work is done the traffic in the free lanes won't be any better.

I can only imagine how much better traffic in Orlando would be 6 lane each way I-4, a free 408 and a free 528 (both of which should be free as they have long since been paid off).

In terms of Tampa I have to imagine traffic would be much better with a free Selmon Expressway and a free Veterans Expressway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: