Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times

Advertisements

Stay in Tampa!! You do NOT want to be crossing that bridge at rush hour every day, believe me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 07:24 AM

7 posts, read 6,595 times
Alright got it, thank you, I will stay on the tampa side.

Now as for the communities, are there many bad or ghetto areas in Tampa? I hear a lot of people say to go towards Hyde park but housing looks pricey. Where is the younger crowd at?

Old 02-25-2019, 09:12 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdamarco View Post
Alright got it, thank you, I will stay on the tampa side.

Now as for the communities, are there many bad or ghetto areas in Tampa? I hear a lot of people say to go towards Hyde park but housing looks pricey. Where is the younger crowd at?
In no particular order - younger crowd:

Tampa Heights
Seminole Heights
Channelside
South Tampa
Hyde Park

RM

Old 02-25-2019, 01:08 PM

14 posts, read 13,479 times
We are in St Pete, and I commute to Tampa every day. I go across 275, some days are worse than others, it usually takes me roughly 45 mins to go 25 miles. I'm currently looking for something in St Pete so I don't have to make that commute. The time it takes doesn't bother me, it's the traffic that goes with it that gets old. The other reason I'm looking to change is our director is trying to move our office to the east side of Tampa, and THAT commute I'm looking at over an hour to an hour and a half everyday (if she gets the location she wants). I had to go from our office to Clearwater on Friday, it took me about 35-40 minutes leaving at 3:45pm.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 3,441 times
Yup, did the Detroit standstill on 94! Praying you don't breakdown.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:57 PM

7 posts, read 6,595 times
This all kinda surprises me. My employer keeps encouraging me to move to clearwater/dunedin, saying their commute is only about 25 minutes one way

Old 02-28-2019, 04:58 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdamarco View Post
This all kinda surprises me. My employer keeps encouraging me to move to clearwater/dunedin, saying their commute is only about 25 minutes one way
Time is a huge factor. A difference of 15 minutes can work out to 45 minutes to an hour for a one way commute. If they leave before 7:00 am it's quite possible they're only taking that long. However, if you leave later than that, you'll be dealing with the crush of commuters. Same on the return trip.

RM

Old 02-28-2019, 05:46 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose24 View Post
I've lived in Clearwater for almost 3 years. It would never take 2 hours for that unless there was some major crash/weather event/something weird. I've driven across that 100's of times and it has never taken anywhere near that long.

Drivers are jerks though, you have to learn to be one too in this area. They teach you defensive driving. As I call it "offensive driving" you will need to learn it to drive. If you need to change a lane, put that blinker on and speed up and move. The LONG red lights are annoying, but they actually keep traffic flowing better.

^^^THIS!

I've been here since November and a day doesn't go by when a bad collision or a pedestrian/cyclist's death isn't reported on TV. This is definitely not the place where you can drive on mental "autopilot."

The "unofficial" speed limit here is 40-45 MPH no matter what's posted and faster if traffic is thinner. Beware of jerks in oversize pickups--they rule the road (and it wouldn't surprise me if they had an arsenal stashed in the back of their trucks ) If you're new to the area you damn well better know where you're going. Time--and traffic--waits for no one here.

Also, the amount of traffic fluctuates throughout the year. In the winter you have an influx of snowbirds and there are pockets throughout the year (think Spring break and Spring/Summer vacations when kids are out of school) where the population swells meaning more people on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose24 View Post
It did rain so hard during one of the hurricanes that missed us, but we still got the heavy rain, I could hardly see. Even then traffic just went slower than usual, but moved. If you have ever driven in the snow, the rain is nothing.
I disagree--I lived in the northeast all my life (grew up in the Buffalo area) and I would rather drive in snow than rain. When driving through a downpour you can't see nuthin' and everything becomes gray and blends together. People don't necessarily slow down when it's raining if they know the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay