Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 07:32 AM

278 posts, read 434,972 times

Advertisements

This morning, I experienced Tampa Road Rage.

I was stopped at a red light, the first car in line. When the light turned green, as quickly as I could, I put my foot on the gas and went. Apparently, this was not fast enough for the woman in the red lexus behind me. She honked her horn at me, and gave me the double bird.

I was taken back, but kept moving forward. At the next light -- she GOT OUT of her car, still flipping me off, and screaming at me. When that light turned green, she gunned it, passed me, and swerved in front of me and slammed on her brakes. Being aware that she would probably do that - I calmly changed lanes. She did it again.

At that point, I took out my cell phone - and "pretended" to take a picture of her license. That was enough to get her to drive away and leave me alone.

That completely started my day off poorly. Road rage is real. The sad thing is -- I did nothing at all. This person was apparently having a really bad day. Thank goodness this person didn't have a gun or an old clunker of a car to ram me.

Be careful out there - and be kind to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 07:47 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,849,852 times
I have had so so many people do that move: speed up ahead of me and deliberately SLAM on their brakes and come to a complete stop MANY MANY TIMES. I have also had people throw drinks at my car (cans of Red Bull, fountain drinks, etc.), pull out guns, crash into me b/c they are too busy looking down at their phones (Call Morgan & Morgan! They nail serial texters to the CROSS!), etc.

It's usually soccer moms in Range Rovers.

Welcome to Florida!

Old 02-28-2019, 10:05 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
It's not a Tampa specific thing. Crazy people are all over the country.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:54 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post

At that point, I took out my cell phone - and "pretended" to take a picture of her license. That was enough to get her to drive away and leave me alone.

You shouldn't have pretended and instead actually taken it and reported it.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:09 AM

110 posts, read 188,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
It's not a Tampa specific thing. Crazy people are all over the country.
That's true, but Tampa has a noticeably larger contingent of psychotic drivers than any medium-large city I've ever visited. I used to think it was mostly nonsense when people said "(insert city) has the worst drivers." Then I moved here.

Last edited by BBurn; 02-28-2019 at 12:22 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
My son had a similar experience on I-75 recently, after which he called FHP. They told him he should have pulled over and reported it immediately, as they are aggressively pursuing any instances of such behavior. They did take the information and suggested that it would be followed up by trooper. Maybe they'll pay the offender a visit?

RM

Old 02-28-2019, 01:12 PM

306 posts, read 328,244 times
I'm glad I drive a big truck, people don't do that often with me, although they do zip around me quick like you mentioned and then do the "no signal" get in front of you type move, but being I'm in a large truck, they don't try the brake check as I imagine they know I won't be able to stop easily and doubt that would feel good to them if I bumped into their car lol. You probably should have reported it, given the popo the tag number, at least it would alert them in case this person continues to do it and ends up causing a wreck. Getting out of the car and coming up to your vehicle that to me seems almost border line assault, definitely worth a call in on that.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:22 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsZ71 View Post
I'm glad I drive a big truck, people don't do that often with me, although they do zip around me quick like you mentioned and then do the "no signal" get in front of you type move, but being I'm in a large truck, they don't try the brake check as I imagine they know I won't be able to stop easily and doubt that would feel good to them if I bumped into their car lol. You probably should have reported it, given the popo the tag number, at least it would alert them in case this person continues to do it and ends up causing a wreck. Getting out of the car and coming up to your vehicle that to me seems almost border line assault, definitely worth a call in on that.

If you hit the car in front of you, you are at fault. No matter the circumstances. Even if the car in front of you deliberatly slammed on their brakes. The fact that they deliberately slammed on their brakes is IMPOSSIBLE to prove in court. Consequently you will be at fault for failing to brake and hitting them.

If you need extra braking time due to your "big truck", my advice to you is to leave several car lengths of space in front of you. Lest you collide with the rear-end of some jerkoff who will then sue your insurance company.

If you hit the car in front of you, you are at fault. Period.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:34 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
If you hit the car in front of you, you are at fault. No matter the circumstances. Even if the car in front of you deliberatly slammed on their brakes. The fact that they deliberately slammed on their brakes is IMPOSSIBLE to prove in court. Consequently you will be at fault for failing to brake and hitting them.

If you need extra braking time due to your "big truck", my advice to you is to leave several car lengths of space in front of you. Lest you collide with the rear-end of some jerkoff who will then sue your insurance company.

Considering that Florida is a no-fault state, it really does't matter unless there is personal injury. The insurance companies will fight it out between them and that's it. However, if the poster drives a "big truck" that require a CDL, their license could be at risk.

RM

Old 02-28-2019, 05:11 PM

490 posts, read 584,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post

If you need extra braking time due to your "big truck", my advice to you is to leave several car lengths of space in front of you. Lest you collide with the rear-end of some jerkoff who will then sue your
Depends , if you have a dash cam and it clearly shows aggressive dangerous driving in front of you trying to cause a rear end collison and you are driving a heavy truck at a safe distance and speed then no its not the drivers fault. 80,000 lbs doesnt stop like a Toyota even with 18 tires on the ground.

Thanks for your pro driving tip on following distance & legal knowledge though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay