Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 12:14 PM

9 posts, read 9,149 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a number of friends who have escaped the New England (NE Wisconsin now for me) winters and moved down to Florida. Not an unusual occurrence I know. I'm stuck in Green Bay for the moment and was just given the opportunity to work from home by my company (I'm a call center rep for a large insurance company). I have several friends in the Tampa Bay area and am thinking of moving there.

My question is can a guy (me) make a fair living (renting a 1/1, 1/2 for around $800/month utilities included) in a safe, secure area? If yes, where? I have a friend in Port St Richie, a couple in Dunedin, and a cousin and another friend on the other coast in Port St. Lucie. By the way, I'm single, 61, and make a little over $36k/year.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 12:28 PM

5,974 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyPilgrim View Post
Hi all,

I have a number of friends who have escaped the New England (NE Wisconsin now for me) winters and moved down to Florida. Not an unusual occurrence I know. I'm stuck in Green Bay for the moment and was just given the opportunity to work from home by my company (I'm a call center rep for a large insurance company). I have several friends in the Tampa Bay area and am thinking of moving there.

My question is can a guy (me) make a fair living (renting a 1/1, 1/2 for around $800/month utilities included) in a safe, secure area? If yes, where? I have a friend in Port St Richie, a couple in Dunedin, and a cousin and another friend on the other coast in Port St. Lucie. By the way, I'm single, 61, and make a little over $36k/year.
Short answer, no, probably not. Rents here are absolutely stupid and continue to rise. $800 will get you a 1/1 in a marginal neighborhood, maybe. While we don't have income tax, our expenses for things such as car insurance are significantly higher (maybe 3x or more) than where you currently live.

I'm drawing on direct experience, I might add, as I came here from Sheboygan (Kohler) and later, Port Washington. I still have friends in Port that I speak with regularly, so I'm still in touch with the area.

Unless you're extremely frugal like my former co-workers in Sheboygan (gotta love those Dutch folks!) I think you would be on the ragged edge of survival down here. I especially wouldn't do it unless you have at least 6 months or more of living expenses.

RM

Old 03-10-2019, 12:41 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,176,307 times
Quote:
Hi all,

You can live relatively inexpensively in the Port Richey/New Port Richey area. Much of it is lower income white population, including retirees. You just have to be careful to avoid the clusters of drug activity. And also areas that flood out. At your age, you should be able to find a modest little rental in one of the 55+ areas, which may be a little more secure.

The other advantage for you is that if you lose your work at home gig, there are some call centers in that area. They don't pay a lot, though, and some are on the scammy side of things, so just be careful if you decide to go that route. Some are more legit than others, is what I heard. Good luck!.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Short answer, no, probably not. Rents here are absolutely stupid and continue to rise. $800 will get you a 1/1 in a marginal neighborhood, maybe. While we don't have income tax, our expenses for things such as car insurance are significantly higher (maybe 3x or more) than where you currently live.

I'm drawing on direct experience, I might add, as I came here from Sheboygan (Kohler) and later, Port Washington. I still have friends in Port that I speak with regularly, so I'm still in touch with the area.

Unless you're extremely frugal like my former co-workers in Sheboygan (gotta love those Dutch folks!) I think you would be on the ragged edge of survival down here. I especially wouldn't do it unless you have at least 6 months or more of living expenses.

RM
It can be done if he sticks to Port Richey/New Port Richey. Probably one of the few places where that can be achieved, though.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:54 PM

Should be able to find something in Veterans Villas in New Port Richey.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:21 PM

I'm shelling out about $950 for a 2/1 heat included now. I could ax the cable and just keep internet. Does that number make any difference?

Old 03-10-2019, 01:43 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times
OP you’re aware your car insurance will be double down here and renters insurance will be around 10x as it is up there.
As far as renting, expect nothing to be included, and rentals are significantly smaller here.
You’ll probably have better options if you move down in the summer.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:48 PM

30,393 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
You can live relatively inexpensively in the Port Richey/New Port Richey area. Much of it is lower income white population, including retirees. You just have to be careful to avoid the clusters of drug activity. And also areas that flood out. At your age, you should be able to find a modest little rental in one of the 55+ areas, which may be a little more secure.

The other advantage for you is that if you lose your work at home gig, there are some call centers in that area. They don't pay a lot, though, and some are on the scammy side of things, so just be careful if you decide to go that route. Some are more legit than others, is what I heard. Good luck!.
He can rent a 2bedroom in many of the run down hoods west of US19 in Pasco for around 600 smackers a month. Man behind me pays 520 a month. And if you think winter is bad wait till ya get taste of west Pasco all summer when we are in a reverse west wind flow with solid sunshine and little rain most of the summer while anyone 2 to 20 miles inland gets much more rain. Wake up at 6am and get slapped in the face with a low of 78 to 84 and dew points of 74 to 84f will be a slap in the face for 7+ months. We no longer have falls or springs as the planet has seen a insane ramp up with heating. We no longer have real winters here and the ramp up in heating in just the last 7 years has been unreal neal.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:04 PM

We had wind chills of -27 last week. Thanks for all the info! It's looking like Vegas is cheaper.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:25 PM

5,974 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
We had wind chills of -27 last week. Thanks for all the info! It's looking like Vegas is cheaper.
Vegas isn't much cheaper. The one place you'll save in Nevada is on car insurance. It's hotter in Vegas, however.

To live on that budget here would pretty much require that you live in a hovel or area of marginal safety.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay