Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 01:02 AM

119 posts, read 210,991 times

Advertisements

We're looking at some different areas around Tampa that are relatively nice but affordable. Some areas we're considering are:

Westchase
Riverview
Carrollwood

Can you recommend some pre-school and elementary schools within these areas that are considered above average? Are here areas that I am missing that are also affordable that have better schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 05:15 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Palm Harbor
Cypress Woods Elementary
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/s...79/school.aspx

Tarpon Springs - East Lake
Brooker Creek Elementary
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/s...52/school.aspx

Lithia/Fishhawk Ranch
Bevis Elementary
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/s...50/school.aspx
Fishhawk Ranch Elementary
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/s...70/school.aspx

Old 03-03-2019, 06:22 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsurf View Post
We're looking at some different areas around Tampa that are relatively nice but affordable. Some areas we're considering are:

Westchase
Riverview
Carrollwood

Can you recommend some pre-school and elementary schools within these areas that are considered above average? Are here areas that I am missing that are also affordable that have better schools?
Qualify "affordable". And I believe you've asked similar questions in other threads, haven't you?

I would not consider Riverview as having some of the better schools. They're not bad but there are others that are far better. Bloomingdale and Fishhawk if you're considering that part of the county. Fishhawk is not what I would consider "affordable" unless your housing budget starts around $400k and can handle a hefty CDD payment as well.

And I base my comments on my former career in the county schools' as a teacher and member of administration as well as being a parent whose children attended HCSD.

RM

Old 03-03-2019, 06:52 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
Opinions are like azzholes.. but if your looking for the best school's, a great location and the best area when it comes to re-selling then I'd consider South Tampa. All 3 school's (Mitchell Elem., Wilson Jr High and Plant H.S.) are A rated.
Because of the great location, great school's and the demand for houses that are not "out in the suburbs" you wont find much for your dollar there though. BUT you still can if you look hard enough, and take your time doing so.

I do like the Westchase and Carrollwood area's that you mentioned looking at. Northwest Hillsborough County is my fav. part of the area, I may be partial to it because I grew up there (Town n Country).

Old 03-03-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Qualify "affordable". And I believe you've asked similar questions in other threads, haven't you?

I would not consider Riverview as having some of the better schools. They're not bad but there are others that are far better. Bloomingdale and Fishhawk if you're considering that part of the county. Fishhawk is not what I would consider "affordable" unless your housing budget starts around $400k and can handle a hefty CDD payment as well.

And I base my comments on my former career in the county schools' as a teacher and member of administration as well as being a parent whose children attended HCSD.

RM
4/2 for around $320,000 or less.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:03 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Fishhawk is not what I would consider "affordable" unless your housing budget starts around $400k and can handle a hefty CDD payment as well.
That's actually false, there's a good bit of inventory in Fishhawk Ranch well under 400K (in the OP's price range also). https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...,-82.205726,15

Old 03-03-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's actually false, there's a good bit of inventory in Fishhawk Ranch well under 400K (in the OP's price range also). https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...,-82.205726,15
And if you looked at the majority of those listings they're condos. And most don't list the CDD fees.

RM

Old 03-03-2019, 08:13 PM

19 posts, read 30,908 times
Riverview has some pretty good schools including Southshore Charter academy and Collins Elem. Parts of riverview are zoned for schools in Fishhawk, for example panther trace. Even then the school rating does not reflect on the quality of the teacher, it is reflected upon the student and the parents. You can gain the same knowledge at both a A and D rated school. Lennard High Ruskin is a C rated school yet they offer the Collegiate Academy where students with high GPA are selected from the area to get their AA degree for free basically. That is something Newsome, an A rated school does not offer.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:56 PM

I'm really confused about the school systems. I noticed there are some charter schools in the area that have great ratings but how hard it is to get into those? As I understand there is a lottery so you basically just hope your child gets in. I did notice that active duty military get preference but does that also apply to veterans? We just don't want to move to an area and then not have the option of a good school.

I guess living in one area and sending your child to a different school district is also an option right? With this we would have to pay tuition but from my understanding it would be far less than private school.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsurf View Post
I'm really confused about the school systems. I noticed there are some charter schools in the area that have great ratings but how hard it is to get into those? As I understand there is a lottery so you basically just hope your child gets in. I did notice that active duty military get preference but does that also apply to veterans? We just don't want to move to an area and then not have the option of a good school.

I guess living in one area and sending your child to a different school district is also an option right? With this we would have to pay tuition but from my understanding it would be far less than private school.
School districts are county-wide in Florida. No township/city/municipal districts. Your student(s) will attend the school they live in the attendance zone for. Don't like that school? Your choices are:

1.) Magnet schools (school district) which focus on a particular discipline or subject area. Require an application and possible participation in a lottery for open seats. You must reside in Hillsborough County for one year before you are eligible. Transportation provided, locations are often in economically depressed areas as this was a program to satisfy the Federal mandate for desegregation. In other words, ship the suburban kids to schools in the inner city to balance out the demographics.

2.) Charter schools (privately owned, public schools): An effort at privatization of the school system that is hit or miss. No cost, as they are legally "equal" to a public school, but in high demand in some areas, meaning there are few, if any, open seats. No transportation, so you have to shuttle the kids to/from daily.

3.) Private schools: Just what it sounds like. Few, but very prestigious with a tuition to reflect the price to play in such vaulted environments. Can be church based, such as Tampa Catholic or Jesuit HS, or just froo-froo stuff like Independent Day School.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot - if you're from north of the Mason-Dixon Line, the public schools here suck.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay