Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 01:07 PM

264 posts, read 227,759 times

Advertisements

Afternoon all. I just found out that my husband may take a job with a company that has a hub location in Lakeland. Not sure if this thread is the right place to look but it looks reasonably close to Tampa. If so, can you wonderful people that know Lakeland give me their opinions about Lakeland...good, bad? Ok? How are the prices there compared with the Tampa area and are the high school(s) decent there? Please and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 11:04 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,061,284 times
Its an interesting place, a mixture of rural and town, new and old, and the downtown has some charm, (there is a cute hotel there, which I can't remember the name of just now that is lost in the 20s and I believe was the first a/c hotel in Florida - nice for lunch) There is a lot of poverty around the area, but because of Tampa overspill and businesses - like Publix being HQ nearby, it has development going on too. Can't comment on prices, sorry not my area of knowledge, but I am sure less than Tampa. There was a piece in todays Tampa Bay Times property section about Plant City too, which is kind of midway between the two, and very old Florida IMO.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:22 PM

30,139 posts, read 20,850,585 times
It gets hotter than where i live on the gulf in the summer and sure gets much more rain than i do in the summer.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:17 PM
ERH

1,695 posts, read 2,507,184 times
Lakeland North and Lakeland South provides two very distinct experiences. Most middle-class newcomers to Lakeland end up on the south side -- it's more middle-class suburban, with the typical commercial/retail development that you typically see aimed at folks with good jobs and disposable income living comfortable lives.

North is Redneck Central, not much going on there. Lots of trucks. A good bit of ignorance. Lots of poverty and hard-working people just trying to make a living, but the concentration of wealth definitely leans south of US 98. Land is more plentiful there, though, so if you want some acreage with your home, you could consider it.

Home pricing is all over the place -- maybe someone else can weigh in on that (or look at sites like Zillow or here on City-Data for the numbers). There are 2 homes for sale in our neighborhood; both are on about 3 acres, with houses built in the 1970s and upgraded through the years (though nothing fancy!). One is priced at $369k, the other at $389k. Knowing what I know about both those properties/homes, I wouldn't pay anything near that. LOL

I'd recommend positioning your home such that your kid is either going to Lake Gibson HS (northside) or Lakeland HS (southside), or maybe George Jenkins HS (also southside).

HOW I KNOW: I was born and raised in Lakeland, but my experience as a northside kid (and Kathleen HS grad) made me confident that I would not raise my kids here. I've been a regular visitor over the years, and now I live here part-time looking after my elderly father. I will inherit my childhood home. It's not ideal, as I'd rather stay in NC and retire there, but the prices there are outrageous and only getting higher, so I am trying to make the best of it and find the good in Lakeland. There's a lot more of it now than there was when I was coming up.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:32 AM

264 posts, read 227,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Lakeland North and Lakeland South provides two very distinct experiences. Most middle-class newcomers to Lakeland end up on the south side -- it's more middle-class suburban, with the typical commercial/retail development that you typically see aimed at folks with good jobs and disposable income living comfortable lives.

North is Redneck Central, not much going on there. Lots of trucks. A good bit of ignorance. Lots of poverty and hard-working people just trying to make a living, but the concentration of wealth definitely leans south of US 98. Land is more plentiful there, though, so if you want some acreage with your home, you could consider it.

Home pricing is all over the place -- maybe someone else can weigh in on that (or look at sites like Zillow or here on City-Data for the numbers). There are 2 homes for sale in our neighborhood; both are on about 3 acres, with houses built in the 1970s and upgraded through the years (though nothing fancy!). One is priced at $369k, the other at $389k. Knowing what I know about both those properties/homes, I wouldn't pay anything near that. LOL

I'd recommend positioning your home such that your kid is either going to Lake Gibson HS (northside) or Lakeland HS (southside), or maybe George Jenkins HS (also southside).

HOW I KNOW: I was born and raised in Lakeland, but my experience as a northside kid (and Kathleen HS grad) made me confident that I would not raise my kids here. I've been a regular visitor over the years, and now I live here part-time looking after my elderly father. I will inherit my childhood home. It's not ideal, as I'd rather stay in NC and retire there, but the prices there are outrageous and only getting higher, so I am trying to make the best of it and find the good in Lakeland. There's a lot more of it now than there was when I was coming up.
Thank you for that perspective. So South might be more up my ally I think if we do end up there. As far as what I'm looking for, I'd like at least a 1/2 - 1 acre but I don't need anything more than that. Something updated but doesn't have to be brand new either. We'd be looking to rent for at least a year or 2 before we buy but at least I have some idea now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay