Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 AM

150 posts, read 474,756 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone. I transplanted to Florida from Utah last year, and am currently a student at UT.

I read crime statistics before I moved here, so I was anticipating some crime. While I wouldn't say that Tampa is an extremely horrible place, it's a far cry from safe. So far, I've been mugged and have seen a lot of gang activity. This may sound like an exaggeration, but I have even heard gun shots fired in the distance, not too far from my home. This is definitely not a place to be taking a leisurely stroll, day or night.

I've gotten to know the worst parts of town, but now I want to know where the safe neighborhoods are. I'm thinking about moving to a different part of Tampa, or even across the bay to Pinellas county, even if I have to commute. I'm living in the Seminole Heights/Riverside area.

Don't get me wrong; I love Florida and I know for a fact that, while it does have its share of crime, I'm sure there is still a lot of good stuff out there. In fact, I'd take Florida's warm sunshine to Utah's extreme heat and cold any day. I just feel that I'm living in the wrong part of Tampa and made a poor choice in moving to this particular neighborhood.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,814 times
I go to UT and I live in the usf housing it takes me 20 min or less to get to school.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:00 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,377,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haai View Post
Hey, everyone. I transplanted to Florida from Utah last year, and am currently a student at UT.

I read crime statistics before I moved here, so I was anticipating some crime. While I wouldn't say that Tampa is an extremely horrible place, it's a far cry from safe. So far, I've been mugged and have seen a lot of gang activity. This may sound like an exaggeration, but I have even heard gun shots fired in the distance, not too far from my home. This is definitely not a place to be taking a leisurely stroll, day or night.

I've gotten to know the worst parts of town, but now I want to know where the safe neighborhoods are. I'm thinking about moving to a different part of Tampa, or even across the bay to Pinellas county, even if I have to commute. I'm living in the Seminole Heights/Riverside area.

Don't get me wrong; I love Florida and I know for a fact that, while it does have its share of crime, I'm sure there is still a lot of good stuff out there. In fact, I'd take Florida's warm sunshine to Utah's extreme heat and cold any day. I just feel that I'm living in the wrong part of Tampa and made a poor choice in moving to this particular neighborhood.

Wow, im so sorry to ehar about your situation, can I ask exactly where in Tampa you live that you got mugged and hear gun shots? I definitely dont want to be visiting someone or walking around that area...

I can say that having lived in Tampa for over 20 years, and lived in all parts of the city(USF area, Northdale, Wellswood, Hyde Park, and now the South Tampa neighborhood of Bayside West), I have never been victim to or seen crime happen first hand, I know its out there, I read the paper daily and watch the news....

Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 AM

150 posts, read 474,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Wow, im so sorry to ehar about your situation, can I ask exactly where in Tampa you live that you got mugged and hear gun shots? I definitely dont want to be visiting someone or walking around that area...

I can say that having lived in Tampa for over 20 years, and lived in all parts of the city(USF area, Northdale, Wellswood, Hyde Park, and now the South Tampa neighborhood of Bayside West), I have never been victim to or seen crime happen first hand, I know its out there, I read the paper daily and watch the news....
The mugging took place on North Boulevard, while I was crossing the Holtsinger Bridge across the river (I'm never walking to save gas again...ever). As I said, I live in the Riverside heights area, and a lot of bad stuff goes on each night. If I had known how bad a neighborhood it was, I would have never moved to the area.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:09 AM

121 posts, read 515,299 times
First off, I know exactly what you mean. I live in the Town n' Country area (which would be to the West of where you are), which is generally seen as an "average" part of town. Yet time and again I will turn on the news and see bulletins of serious crimes in areas not far from me.

You can pull up many crime statistics that show Tampa crime is dropping each year, yet the violent crimes in this city are very prevalent and nothing to take lightly.

Very small parts of Seminole Heights have gone through a revival, with pockets of very nice homes and streets. But if you feel unsafe there, yes - move.

Some safer areas are Carrollwood and Lutz, in northern Tampa. Citrus Park in western Tampa, and Oldsmar even further west. As well, there are a few pockets in South Tampa (though South Tampa will be the most expensive choice - and you must deal with things such as Gasparilla and Guavaween depending on where in South Tampa you live). However, I have heard that even Carrollwood is experiencing more crime than it used to, though anyone on here is free to correct me on that.

My parents actually just left Carrollwood. Not for the crime really, but the density of people, something Tampa as a whole suffers from. If you do not mind the commute, try Lutz. Lake Carlton Arms is up that way and is supposed to be one of the nicer, affordable communities.

I wish you best of luck in finding a more suitable area.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haai View Post
The mugging took place on North Boulevard, while I was crossing the Holtsinger Bridge across the river (I'm never walking to save gas again...ever). As I said, I live in the Riverside heights area, and a lot of bad stuff goes on each night. If I had known how bad a neighborhood it was, I would have never moved to the area.
Haai,
If you wish to stay in Tampa to be close to UT, i'd consider South Tampa zips like 33606,09,29,11, and 16.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:37 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,655 times
Come to The Oasis in SoHo. Safe, trendy neighborhood and we're full of UT students who love it there

*Love my UT people* I'm kinda like the ad hoc RA in my complex..LOL

Old 04-11-2008, 01:49 AM

515 posts, read 1,347,747 times
UT is not in the best part of town. It's less than a half mile from the city's largest housing project and is literally right across the street from a large section eight complex. I definitely would not advocate a UT student walking too far away from the campus, especially alone.

That said, I don't know what exactly you consider "gang activity." There are some gangs out in the unincorporated areas of Hillsborough County, however there is VERY little gang activity in the City of Tampa. There are a handful of little neighborhood "gangs" around the city, but I use that term loosely as they get so much law enforcement scrutiny that they really can't get organized. As far as gang-related crime goes, Tampa has very, very little.

The crime in Tampa has gone down about 50% in the past five years. That's a huge decrease. I'm sure that you think Tampa is terrible compared to where you're from in Utah, but anyone who has been here some time can tell you that it used to be much worse. That said, some areas do have more crime than others. While Seminole/Riverside Heights is an up-and-coming area, it's crime rate is still higher than what you'd see in South Tampa or New Tampa. Crime is all about location and even a mile or two can make a difference.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 AM

362 posts, read 1,719,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Come to The Oasis in SoHo. Safe, trendy neighborhood and we're full of UT students who love it there

*Love my UT people* I'm kinda like the ad hoc RA in my complex..LOL
I'm following the Tampa posts, as I've accepted a one year job assignment there, beginning in Sept. I looked up the Oasis and it seems nice. Does anyone have other recommendations for complexes in Hyde Park/SoHo or generally near Bayshore. I love the idea of being able to walk to shops and along the water. I've also heard good things about Harbor / Davis Islands. And like the OP, I'd hate to end up in a scary neighborhood and be stuck there due to a lease agreement.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honu1 View Post
I'm following the Tampa posts, as I've accepted a one year job assignment there, beginning in Sept. I looked up the Oasis and it seems nice. Does anyone have other recommendations for complexes in Hyde Park/SoHo or generally near Bayshore. I love the idea of being able to walk to shops and along the water. I've also heard good things about Harbor / Davis Islands. And like the OP, I'd hate to end up in a scary neighborhood and be stuck there due to a lease agreement.
There are alot of private condos and townhomes for rent, look through craigslist or tbo.com. Post alsways does a pretty good job with their apartment communities(they have several in Hyde Park and Harbour Island).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay