U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 10:47 PM

4,498 posts, read 3,573,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I am definitely interested in car pooling, but again, the resources for identifying potential members are nonexistent. The county claims to have a vanpool/rideshare resource, but again, I've attempted to engage them many times over the past five years with little to no success.

"on par with Japan"?

I think not. I used to work in Tokyo on a regular basis, and there is no parallel to anywhere in the world I've traveled for Japanese public transit. I can recall the first time I arrived at Narita, standing at the curb watching the busses come and go every minute or two with military precision. The trains run in a similar manner. Nothing, I mean nothing, is ever late.

RM
I'd agree completely. I spent four days in Tokyo this past summer and so many aspects of it were just... mind boggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 11:45 PM

1,809 posts, read 538,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonablevoice View Post
I think this thread is one of the better discussions to have than the oft repeated, where am I am going to live ones - so thank you for giving it a shot. The urban suburban dilemma - and what to do about it. Downtowns are important. They are the hubs of any major city. They are cultural, governmental, and economic centers. And thanks to some open minds, they are also now livable.

Tampa is a driving city, and although that works for now, it will eventually become Los Angeles. City planners are short sighted if they do not develop some reasonable amounts of public transportation. specifically light rail. For every comment about getting away from density (and other urban issues) - another ten can be made about the banality of suburban sprawl, and the other downsides it brings (increased property taxes, traffic, segregation...)

If you haven't been to downtown Tampa or St. Pete lately, your loss. We all do not have to live on top of each other but it is not as scary as some of us think.

To your point, this article discusses the real cost of automobile oriented development and how impact fees are not the panacea and have unintended consequences.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/...ing-for-itself

Old 04-22-2019, 06:09 AM

101 posts, read 53,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
To your point, this article discusses the real cost of automobile oriented development and how impact fees are not the panacea and have unintended consequences.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/...ing-for-itself
Spot on. Good read.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:51 AM

I can agree that they are fed the theology without being consumed and worried about it. Le Corbusier designed communal living space in developments that appeared in public housing and public supported housing like Stuyvesant Town, Starret City etc.. over 50-60years ago. I actually think more than that. However, nobody is building like that today. Hi-rise, downtown environments, are dense but the emphasis is certainly not on low end urban designs that are very outdated, and certainly not “newer” urban planning. Shared space, communal rules, etc.. are necessary by-products of that but, so what. The theme of all us as individuals getting to do what we want exists more so in ideology. We all want it but have we ever had it?

Have you been in one of these graduate programs? If so, you walked away with a bad taste. If you haven’t, you are repeating a tired trope.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:30 AM

Repetition, reinforces, retention, and recall. Yes, a tenet of learning. Reason, however, comes from knowledge and wisdom, usually learned through experience.

My last observation, and not a parting shot, because I respect education, of which you have much. I know from close experience, that when very smart people attend law school, they are surprised to see the next very smart guy or gal taking a completely opposite position of their own and sound just as convincing.

I am not irritated with your position on the urban planning discussion, just with what I perceive as an over-generalized skepticism of education in general.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:41 AM

Are you kidding? Now who is the irritated one? I am man enough to apologize because my last post was not meant to be a “cloaked” attack. However, your prior one, was exactly that. Pot meet kettle. You have already dismissed cogent replies to the issue by labeling anyone who supports urban development as dupes and leftists. All of your proverbs will not mask what you are, yet you claim to see it in everyone else who doesn’t think like you.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:48 PM

15,760 posts, read 32,827,484 times
Well this thread has really devolved.....

Old 04-25-2019, 05:18 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,947 posts, read 4,195,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well this thread has really devolved.....
So who wants to be “most right”?

RM

Old 04-25-2019, 05:47 PM

4,498 posts, read 3,573,726 times
I’m not getting involved in that. But hopefully we’ll just keep things about developments, etc, moving forward.

FWIW, to reasonablevoice, I watched that video about Cleveland. Found it very interesting and really provides insight on ways things can perhaps improve moving forward and how things have gotten the way they are.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/4/23/185...ng-development

“It is only a matter of time before the area between Tampa and Orlando in essence, becomes a conurbation.” Speaking to the development of the Lakeland-Winter Haven MSA, the Central Florida Megalopolis (which will likely be the south’s biggest before too long). Thoughts?

Also, talk of the silver tsunami, with experts predicting the pct. of population over 65 will increase by 90% between now and 2040. What this also speaks to me though too, is that while that pct. is booming now, it’s also indicative of a larger long term trend esp. around the world, of population decline in developed nations (much more precipitous in other developed countries like Japan and Germany, to be sure). I feel like FL is esp. relevant here, and wonder, if estimates for what types of housing are in demand for next several decades, if there will be large, empty ghost town suburbs in Florida in the not too distant future similar to some of the ghost cities in China.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:04 PM

I thought it always was about development. Lol.

The aging demographic is a big issue, and I would assume Florida will be affected more since we are a retiree state. There are larger implications for the nation as you have pointed out.

The possibility of that inner corridor connecting cities from the gulf to Orlando and beyond is just another reason for someone in government to address the transportation issue.

The type of housing will have to run the gamut from active living to assisted living, with an eye toward what it would become after. A lot of other healthcare infrastructure would have to be built. I see St. Joseph’s is already expanding several locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or