Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 11:07 AM

5 posts, read 16,686 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Tampa and this summer, and after reading this forum I'm a bit afraid because of the crime.

I won't know anyone when I come, but I'm coming to teach at Berkeley Prep in the Town N Country area and want to live in South Tampa/SoHo. Are either of these dangerous areas?

I'm coming from Atlanta. Is the crime going to be noticeably worse? What kind of crime will it be? I'm more afraid of personal crimes than vehicular or break ins while I'm not present.

Also, I keep hearing people talk about really bad traffic. Atlanta is unliveable because of the traffic. Is it really that bad here?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 11:45 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
I'm curious why you want to live in South Tampa if you're working in TNC. Have you considered looking West of Sheldon Rd and Hillsborough Ave? Sorry, I hate doing this (steering you away from your goal). But honestly, knowing the area as I do, I would dread driving around the airport twice daily.

The highways around the airport interchange are under construction until 2010. You can read and follow progress on this link --> My Tampa Bay Interstates.

Personally, I've driven through downtown Atlanta several times during rush hour and I don't think Tampa's rush hour comes anywhere close.

You may also lookup crime on a map from the City of Tampa's website here --> City of Tampa All Crimes for February 2008. Also, recently tampaguy03 created a link in another thread that shows the current calls for police response.

Hope this helps a little!

Old 04-13-2008, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 16,686 times
I'm young and single and I heard that South Tampa and SoHo are the areas to be. It's important to me to be in a trendy area that is also safe because I want to feel like when I walk out my door I'm near fun places to eat and nice places to shop and go out.

If I'm wrong about the area, please correct me.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:29 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
I only offer the information as a precaution. As long as you know that traffic during peak commuter hours can be a PITB and deal with it accordingly, you'll be fine. Should traffic get too bad, you can always stop in at one of the trendy spots near the International Mall.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:33 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwed102 View Post
I'm young and single and I heard that South Tampa and SoHo are the areas to be. It's important to me to be in a trendy area that is also safe because I want to feel like when I walk out my door I'm near fun places to eat and nice places to shop and go out.

If I'm wrong about the area, please correct me.
Yes, South Tampa areas like Hyde Park, SOHO, Davis Islands, Bayshore Blvd, Plama Ceia will offer what you are looking for in your post above in Tampa.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:09 PM

119 posts, read 524,785 times
I'm surprised you're worried about safety in Tampa coming from Atlanta. I am moving this summer too, from a similarly sized city as Tampa with a slightly higher crime rate. When you get to the neighborhood to pick the apartment you want, you will get an idea of the safety of the area. Just stick to that neighborhood and be fine. From what I have heard all the areas you're looking at are safe. In a thread I started, "Where do the Yuppies live in Tampa?" a member posted a link to a Tampa crime map. I hope this helps you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay