Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,614 times

Advertisements

My son, new graduate, from SC, just accepted a job in Clearwater. He wants to live in St. Petersburg and he need help with finding an apartment. He needs a place in an area that is safe and affordable. He would also like to be close to restaurants, bars etc. My husband and I like Westchase but he says the commute will be a hassle. Any suggestions on where would be a good place for a young adult to live? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 10:51 AM

5,980 posts, read 7,390,056 times
St. Pete for the most part is not “affordable”. For that matter, Westchase wouldn’t be much less, not to mention the unpleasant commute.

What’s his housing budget? That’s going to dictate where he can live.

RM

Old 07-24-2019, 10:55 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,011,441 times
https://www.fusion1560.com/?keyword=...hoCQ94QAvD_BwE

Seems like this whole area is growing w/ apartments. It's adjacent to Tropicana Field (Rays baseball). Not far from downtown STP. $1300/mo

Or Feathersound/Gandy area about midway between STP and Clearwater, west of Gandy, so easy access to Tampa.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:44 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
Budget is the key bit of information you left out.

What is he capable of spending in rent?

Old 07-24-2019, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,614 times
Thanks for the prompt response. His budget for rent is about $1300/monthly

Old 07-25-2019, 04:08 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,081,570 times
He could find a share for that in most of the best apartments or private condo rentals.
He may find some smaller studio places around that amount. Most of downtown is safe, parking is a premium
some places have permits for residents, not all. It can be a hassle if there is no parking and its not in a parking zone for residents. Check that out if he is going to live there

Old 08-11-2019, 01:24 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,011,441 times
I love recommending stuff to posters and they never acknowledge the effort.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:38 PM

565 posts, read 1,255,075 times
If your son is still looking for something in Clearwater, they've just about finished building several sets of apartments, all grouped together, right off Hwy 19 in the city. I can't imagine they'd be too expensive and they're central to everything. Right behind the Subway shop right off Hwy 19.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:08 AM

25,777 posts, read 12,840,301 times
The closer he is to retail and busy roadways, the more crime there is.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:01 PM

144 posts, read 158,990 times
Downtown St Pete , Central Ave if full of bars, restaurants, shops, gyms. It’s very active and people are out. Young , established and empty nesters live in the area . I live a 1/4 mile away from all that’s going on. I love it. However, it comes at a price. Many people have roommates . Especially the younger crowd. I’m in my mid-late 40’s , established , work at a hospital in the area. I lease a vehicle but hardly drive anywhere because I get irritated. Driving to Clearwater daily would be a nightmare for me. That’s just me though. I know my triggers and try to avoid them. If your son doesn’t mind traffic, traffic jams, aloof drivers on their cellphones speeding up(when not texting) slowing down ( when texting) , slow drivers in the left lane acting like it’s ok everyone has to pass them on the right then it might not be bad to him .

I’m not making an argument for or against gentrification but these are the areas where people want to live. The areas in the downtown vicinity that haven’t been gentrified are not the areas your son would want to live.

Lots of homeless in the area but that’s Florida cities for you. Really any city in the country, especially with warm temperatures is gonna attract a homeless population. Besides asking for change they seem harmless but that’s just been my experience.

Hope this was useful to you.
Merry Christmas, Happy holidays to all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay