Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 06:52 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I removed a large oak in my yard about 5 years ago. It was adjacent to my driveway and causing the driveway to lift due to its roots growing underneath. I also wanted it gone, despite not wanting to take any tree down if possible, because the leaves and other junk that fell off of it stained my driveway and the cars parked on it.

I had my tree guy submit the permit to remove it to the County. In Hillsborough the requirement is that if you remove an oak tree you have to replace it with a similar amount of trees elsewhere on the properly. basically, if the tree you're taking down has a caliper (diameter) of 20", you have to plant 20" of trees elsewhere on your properly. This could be five five inch trees, 10 two inch trees, etc., etc. This is covered in the County's approval of your permit.

In my case I didn't have a problem replacing the tree with others. However, the County made no requirement for replacement in this case for whatever reason, so had I chosen to not replace it I didn't have to.

I did plant a couple other trees on the lot to provide shade, so I more or less did what they would have requested had they done so.

RM
If you ever sell could they pull the permit to confirm you planted trees that are not there or ones that just suddenly got planted but don't show expected growth from the time you planted to the time you sell.

Inspectors are aggressive as the government wants monies from any fines they can collect

Be careful

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 05:04 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
If you ever sell could they pull the permit to confirm you planted trees that are not there or ones that just suddenly got planted but don't show expected growth from the time you planted to the time you sell.

Inspectors are aggressive as the government wants monies from any fines they can collect

Be careful

Good luck
I doubt it. At least in Hillsborough the tree permits are not indexed in the permit database for the properties to the best of my knowledge. I have looked in mine and there's nothing in it about tree permits, just things like AC, plumbing and electrical.

RM

Old 08-03-2019, 05:48 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
People need to read the article, the headline is misleading........

But it is not a free-for-all on trees. Under the new state law, homeowners must get an arborist's evaluation saying the tree is dangerous before doing anything.

I did read the article and expect everyone else would do the same. I know that's quite a lot to ask.

My neighbor just had a pro tree company take down two trees yesterday because you no longer need to get a permit, etc. The tree company confirmed they were dangerous (which they were), and that's all it takes, as your quote indicates. One tree was completely dead, another was almost completely dead and leaning.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:29 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
People should be able to cut down or plant any trees they want in their own yard without permits.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,196 times
WSAMON: I found this thread while doing my own research on the same question.

My property is in Unincorporated Pinealls County, between Largo and Clearwater.

Have you found your answer yet? And, if so, was it specific to the City of Largo or based on Pinellas County restrictions?

If I find anything out, I will post if for you here. If I don't, I plan to go directly to the County Permit office and ask them myself.

Thanks,

Cory

Old 08-24-2019, 08:40 AM

226 posts, read 249,049 times
Most counties would not know if you cut down a tree in the first place unless your nosey neighbor wanted to get in your business, or complain to the county. If you hired a pro trimmer, then it might be another story. I know in my area, if a tree is a hazard, then you can take it down, no questions.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:35 PM

569 posts, read 1,057,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTram View Post
WSAMON: I found this thread while doing my own research on the same question.

My property is in Unincorporated Pinealls County, between Largo and Clearwater.

Have you found your answer yet? And, if so, was it specific to the City of Largo or based on Pinellas County restrictions?

If I find anything out, I will post if for you here. If I don't, I plan to go directly to the County Permit office and ask them myself.

Thanks,

Cory
I did not get any info on the actual fine, how easy it is for them to find out and fine you, etc. beyond the "they could force you to replace it with a tree of like kind and stature which could cost 10s of thousands of dollars".

However, as others have said here, if you hire a tree company with a certified arborist that says the tree is dangerous and needs to go, you're compliant with the law and in the free and clear. At least that's my understanding. I found a couple that said it meets the criteria, partly because it's close to power lines (already growing through cable lines) and partly because it's growing underneath and into the branches of a larger canopy tree. That's the route I took, so it cost me a bit more - about $3k - but I got a professional job done in 1/2 a day and it's all legal to the best of my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay