Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 11:36 AM

491 posts, read 472,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi-p View Post
Thanks for your thoughts.

I will admit my first impressions of Tampa proper were not great. I think St. Pete is really what impressed me, but I wouldn't find a job there unfortunately.

I'm considering Atlanta though I haven't been there in a while, I have a trip planned. Biggest thing for me is I'm a foodie and DFW, while there are some good food scenes (right now Frisco is booming), it's nothing like what I've had other places I've lived. Atlanta is a good food town. Tampa, I doubt it - no offense to Tampa.

I don't mind a smaller city. I'm getting older, but I don't really care about things hustling all the time. If I stay in Dallas, the burbs or Fort Worth is where I'll be. I moved to Dallas from NYC so I can't replace that no matter where I live and if I wanted to, I'd move back. But I won't.

Carolinas I don't have much of a context to consider living there... Raleigh seems nice but sort of boring. As long as there are cute normal single chicks there lol.

I have family in Tennessee and the Carolinas, that's where most of my stock is from, though I'm a Detroiter by birth, and an East Coast guy most of my adult life.
If Manhattan is your benchmark then nothing will live up. Deciding between Atlanta and Tampa? Splitting hairs. There's enough for you to do both places. From a food standpoint? Again, splitting hairs imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 12:29 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
If Manhattan is your benchmark then nothing will live up. Deciding between Atlanta and Tampa? Splitting hairs. There's enough for you to do both places. From a food standpoint? Again, splitting hairs imo.
Splitting hairs? Atlanta and Tampa do not even compare. Atlanta is twice the size of Tampa. Atlanta has the world's busiest airport. There are so many flights you can fly pretty much anywhere at a bargain basement price. Atlanta has a rail system, Atlanta has nationally ranked restaurants, Atlanta has nationally ranked traffic. Atlanta compares more to Miami. There is A LOT more to do in Miami and Atlanta than in Tampa.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Splitting hairs? Atlanta and Tampa do not even compare. Atlanta is twice the size of Tampa. Atlanta has the world's busiest airport. There are so many flights you can fly pretty much anywhere at a bargain basement price. Atlanta has a rail system, Atlanta has nationally ranked restaurants, Atlanta has nationally ranked traffic. Atlanta compares more to Miami. There is A LOT more to do in Miami and Atlanta than in Tampa.

There's Buckhead and then....

Atlanta has always felt kinda dull. Yes the airport is massive if that's a sticking point. Tampa is actually a bit more expensive believe it or not. Especially comparing downtowns and the desirable areas..

I dont agree that there's a ton more to do tbh. Maybe a little, but restaurant wise it’s not dramatically different.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:53 PM

472 posts, read 547,600 times
Quote:
You are a foodie? You will be miserable in Tampa, no matter how many people tell you that Tampa's restaurant/food scene has "gotten so much better." If you are a foodie then I assume you shop at Central Market?

There is nothing even remotely close to Central Market here.
I love Tampa for what it is but I'll have to agree here about the food. I knew moving here I'd have to give up good career climbing opportunities and great schools, but giving up the great food thing was a surprise let down. FWIW the laid back life and beach and sunshine and nice weather has been worthwhile. But some days, man, I'd just want to get a really good authentic <insert favorite ethnic dish> and just can't get it here.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:58 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
There's Buckhead and then....

Atlanta has always felt kinda dull. Yes the airport is massive if that's a sticking point. Tampa is actually a bit more expensive believe it or not. Especially comparing downtowns and the desirable areas..

I dont agree that there's a ton more to do tbh. Maybe a little, but restaurant wise it’s not dramatically different.

Indian street food restaurants in Tampa: 1
Indian street food restaurants in Atlanta: dozens

Indonesian restaurants in Tampa: zero
Indonesian restaurants in Atlanta: at least 5

Laotian restaurants in Tampa: one
Laotian restaurants in Atlanta: more than 10

Organic restaurants in Tampa: one
Organic restaurants in Atlanta: dozens

Guamanian restaurants in Tampa: zero
Guamanian restaurants in Atlanta: at least 5

Nepalese restaurants in Tampa: zero
Nepalese restaurants in Atlanta: dozens

Thai barbecue restaurants in Tampa: zero
Thai barbecue restaurants in Atlanta: At least 10

French bakeries in Tampa: zero
French bakeries in Atlanta: dozens

5 star hotel restaurants in Tampa: zero
5 star hotel restaurants in Atlanta: at least 10 that I know of

Restaurants in Tampa that know how to make a proper Panang curry: none
Restaurants in Atlanta that know how to make a proper Panang curry: 10

Last edited by sinatras; 08-08-2019 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 07:42 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:

Does the OP care about this ^^^? Not that you cited any credible sources I believe he said he was into "Latin culture" and hot Latina women. He will find much more of that in Tampa, plus Tampa has it's own food scene with it's Latin history.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:11 PM

88 posts, read 89,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Does the OP care about this ^^^? Not that you cited any credible sources I believe he said he was into "Latin culture" and hot Latina women. He will find much more of that in Tampa, plus Tampa has it's own food scene with it's Latin history.
I care a lot actually. Lol.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Atlanta has a better food scene than Tampa for sure, pretty obvious.
I wouldn't compare it to Miami though. Miami is it's own thing. I don't really like Miami.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's splitting hairs. Food is obviously better in Atlanta.
Probably right lol, but I'm not using Manhattan as a benchmark.
Quality of life and culture is my main concern.

Atlanta boring?
I am not easily bored. If I was, again -- I'd be in NYC.

Honestly, it's the people I'm looking at mostly.
Dallas feels a lot like California sometimes, which I'm not about.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Nepalese restaurants? lol Who are you Pat Healy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay