Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 09:10 PM

84 posts, read 208,645 times

Advertisements

Super interested where OP ends up. I'm in almost the exact same position. I'm a mid 30's, single, male, remote worker in tech who recently left Dallas and is now looking for a place to call my permanent home (for a little while at least). I've thought about and visited Denver, Austin, Nashville and Honolulu for a month each. So far all of those places were fun but didn't feel like the right fit. Each had tons of pros but some pretty big cons. Plus I'm tired of living with all Cali transplants and that's what all those cities felt like. My big difference from OP is that I could care less about food and that kayaking/water/outdoor activities are my biggest concern. And finding people to do them with. Can't believe I didn't think of Tampa earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 01:42 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCIV View Post
Super interested where OP ends up. I'm in almost the exact same position. I'm a mid 30's, single, male, remote worker in tech who recently left Dallas and is now looking for a place to call my permanent home (for a little while at least). I've thought about and visited Denver, Austin, Nashville and Honolulu for a month each. So far all of those places were fun but didn't feel like the right fit. Each had tons of pros but some pretty big cons. Plus I'm tired of living with all Cali transplants and that's what all those cities felt like. My big difference from OP is that I could care less about food and that kayaking/water/outdoor activities are my biggest concern. And finding people to do them with. Can't believe I didn't think of Tampa earlier.
If the cities you listed above didn't entertain you, don't think Tampa will. The area is growing with housing, and the Channelside development is going to be nice, but this area has nothing compared to Denver, Austin, Nashville, Hawaii --- except maybe cost of living is probably better (at least compared to Honolulu).

The social scene/finding people might be tough here - reading this message board, it appears that folks are all looking for ways to socialize and the typical response is "meet up".....not sure how that's working for people.

Water/fishing/jet skiing is the big draw - lots of sports available (MLB, NHL, NFL, PGA). We usually get the big concert performers every year -

The weather is torture from about April - October. Right now it is very hot/humid with t-storms throughout the day which really disrupts any plans you might have outside if you did want to deal w/ humidity.

I'm pretty sure you can do better if you had choice anywhere in the USA.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:15 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,846,099 times
Quote:

All of those within the last 10 years have become the IT destinations for relocation. They are now super crowded and pricey. Tampa is less so but Tampa is also on that "most popular for relo" list.
Tampa is also attracting the Cali transplants but my guess is that when they figure out they can't get a decent taco here they will hightail it back halfway, maybe to Texas.
In Tampa you will be living with Cali transplants, as well as Midwesterners, New Yorkers, ex-DC and Pennsylvania types. And of course all the Florida natives.

Contrary to what the above poster said, FYI a lot of tours skip Tampa and stop in Orlando or Miami instead.

Also regarding your water sports, do yoself a favor and google "flesh eating bacteria" and "red tide" and get educated on the polluted waters of Tampa Bay.

Last edited by sinatras; 08-14-2019 at 07:23 AM..

Old 08-14-2019, 11:20 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post

Contrary to what the above poster said, FYI a lot of tours skip Tampa and stop in Orlando or Miami instead.
Amelia, RayJay, Amphitheater stay pretty busy year round. Justin Beiber does seem to like Orlando and Miami.....

Old 08-14-2019, 12:24 PM

12 posts, read 15,031 times
Quote:
Tampa definitely has all the water sports that your heart desires, they have endless places to fish, kayak, boat and go jet skiing. There is also a lot of hog hunting in the rural inland areas.I am surprised that the above places you lived in you were unable to find a right fit. Those are some of the fastest growing cities in the US. I am curious as to what your pretty big cons that you found were. As far as outdoor activities, I have been considering NC for quite some time, as if I wanted mountain activities I can drive west, or if I wanted the beach I could drive east. The lack of good outdoor activities in DFW and the Great Plains is starting to annoy me a bit.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:03 PM

84 posts, read 208,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK35 View Post
Tampa definitely has all the water sports that your heart desires, they have endless places to fish, kayak, boat and go jet skiing. There is also a lot of hog hunting in the rural inland areas.I am surprised that the above places you lived in you were unable to find a right fit. Those are some of the fastest growing cities in the US. I am curious as to what your pretty big cons that you found were. As far as outdoor activities, I have been considering NC for quite some time, as if I wanted mountain activities I can drive west, or if I wanted the beach I could drive east. The lack of good outdoor activities in DFW and the Great Plains is starting to annoy me a bit.
Awesome info. And all those places were epic and I'd be happy if I had to live in any of them. But the big cons were Austin was incredibly overpopulated and the prices were ridiculous for what you get. I don't think I'd fare well in the cold in Denver. And Hawaii was just too far away from everything including family and friends.

Dallas really spoiled me because there was a ton of nightlife, lots of outdoor activities, plenty of lakes, and tons of people looking to do stuff. And it was very affordable.

Hope I'm not hijacking this guys thread. Not my intention.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:33 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,846,099 times
Quote:
Awesome info. And all those places were epic and I'd be happy if I had to live in any of them. But the big cons were Austin was incredibly overpopulated and the prices were ridiculous for what you get. I don't think I'd fare well in the cold in Denver. And Hawaii was just too far away from everything including family and friends.

Dallas really spoiled me because there was a ton of nightlife, lots of outdoor activities, plenty of lakes, and tons of people looking to do stuff. And it was very affordable.

Hope I'm not hijacking this guys thread. Not my intention.

Yeah that totally makes sense, Austin has become another California. good luck with your search!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2019, 12:19 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,342 times
Some people casually mentioned meeting people and dating.
So, how does singles/dating scene of Tampa, or StPete compare to Orlando, Austin, Atlanta or other places?
I'm also I'm my late 30's, tech, single, checked out other cities and now researching Tampa BA. I live in SF Bay Area. It's hard to find real people here, or decent single women.
Where do singles meet in Tampa/StPete? In Orlando I would imagine Orlando Church Street or Park Avenue in Winter Park.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:45 PM

88 posts, read 89,162 times
Quote:
I still have no idea, I extended my lease until November.
Tampa hasn't been crossed off my list, but my remote gig dried up. I got a big raise at my current job, but I doubt it'll keep me here.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:21 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papi-p View Post
I still have no idea, I extended my lease until November.
Tampa hasn't been crossed off my list, but my remote gig dried up. I got a big raise at my current job, but I doubt it'll keep me here.
That is the trade-off most likely, give up high pay and high end career, for a quality of life improvement. The risk is what if you start craving again for some professional work after few months or years. That is my dilemma also. In my case, if I move to Florida, then I will not be able to move back to Silicon Valley later, due to housing prices, or I would end up being a renter, while now I am a home owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay