U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 12:58 AM

88 posts, read 49,650 times

Advertisements

I may have a remote job opportunity that will allow me to move anywhere in the country.
I am seriously considering Tampa. I'm currently in Dallas and I overall find the place very uninspiring. Sure, it's the best job market in the country and the climate isn't bad, but what else is there? I'm an East Coast guy who was born in the Midwest (Detroit) and Florida has always appealed to me, naturally... Though I'm very into Latin culture and love Latina women, Miami is a bit too flashy and crazy for me and I sort of left that behind when I moved to Dallas from NYC. I definitely want a relationship with someone, yet I don't want to live somewhere boring and a lot of married people.

Anyway, does anyone have opinions about Tampa for a 36yo (divorced - though not recently) single man?
I visited back in April. I was overall impressed with the region. I stayed in Downtown St. Pete per the recommendations of a friend, and I thought it was pretty dope. However, I feel Tampa proper would be better for a single guy - though, I barely explored Tampa proper. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm a young professional, I am fairly high income (tech). I wasn't impressed with the Ybor scene frankly (too trashy for me), but it's nice to have it as an option when I'm down to get wild. Soho/Hyde seem alright. I jived well with the people I met on my visit.

I definitely am attracted to Tampa because it's more laid back/less pretentious than Miami, yet still has the beaches not too far away and the beautiful women. I guess that's the appeal. I don't need to live right on the water, I just like having it nearby. Plus I think the people there are more down to earth than Dallas. Dallas is the LA of the South...

Last edited by papi-p; 07-28-2019 at 01:10 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 06:12 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,790,499 times
I think you answered your own questions - South Tampa Soho areas or downtown St Pete.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:37 PM

1,088 posts, read 728,011 times
Yes south tampa (soho)for some good shallow fun. You best bet for single women. But that party seen might seem like a lot of 20 year olds at times.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:11 PM

444 posts, read 360,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papi-p View Post
I may have a remote job opportunity that will allow me to move anywhere in the country.
I am seriously considering Tampa. I'm currently in Dallas and I overall find the place very uninspiring. Sure, it's the best job market in the country and the climate isn't bad, but what else is there? I'm an East Coast guy who was born in the Midwest (Detroit) and Florida has always appealed to me, naturally... Though I'm very into Latin culture and love Latina women, Miami is a bit too flashy and crazy for me and I sort of left that behind when I moved to Dallas from NYC. I definitely want a relationship with someone, yet I don't want to live somewhere boring and a lot of married people.

Anyway, does anyone have opinions about Tampa for a 36yo (divorced - though not recently) single man?
I visited back in April. I was overall impressed with the region. I stayed in Downtown St. Pete per the recommendations of a friend, and I thought it was pretty dope. However, I feel Tampa proper would be better for a single guy - though, I barely explored Tampa proper. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm a young professional, I am fairly high income (tech). I wasn't impressed with the Ybor scene frankly (too trashy for me), but it's nice to have it as an option when I'm down to get wild. Soho/Hyde seem alright. I jived well with the people I met on my visit.

I definitely am attracted to Tampa because it's more laid back/less pretentious than Miami, yet still has the beaches not too far away and the beautiful women. I guess that's the appeal. I don't need to live right on the water, I just like having it nearby. Plus I think the people there are more down to earth than Dallas. Dallas is the LA of the South...
Rent in Channelside (Tampa) for a year. Sounds like your best bet judging by what you wrote.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:24 AM

429 posts, read 341,355 times
Quote:

Why not try tech around Austin?

Austin is a very tech-friendly city, your move won't cost as much (you may even be able to negotiate relocation assistance more easily- a rarity down here), it already has established the vibe that Tampa has been long trying to accomplish, and your salary will most likely either be higher there off the bat -or- at least have a better chance for growth. Husband had an offer in SE FL at the same time as Austin- also in tech, higher managerial- and the market here is not great for tech, no matter what level you're working... The jobs just don't exist like they do in other cities for tech here, and as such salaries aren't as high (it's a circular issue)... We chose FL because we intend to retire here, so why move twice, but wonder what Austin would have afforded us, professionally and in lifestyle. There are a lot of people your age in Austin (also the same age bracket as you)- Tampa area has a younger demographic in large part (though not entirely) because of the military being here. Cost of living here is not as cheap as some presume, and while there is decent healthcare it's still not on par, in my experience (can't speak to anyone else's), to any other place I've lived. Do not expect to rely entirely on public transportation if you need or enjoy it, because it's lacking in a lot of ways.

That said, stay near the beach if you can- then you will probably have a different opinion about any other downfalls that you might personally experience for the area. SE FL didn't work out for us for a few reasons, but going to the beach two or three times a week because we were only a few miles from it sure did help us adjust to what we didn't like at the time... The water/beach is an amazing mood regulator, Lol.

Also, I've sent you a message about jobs, should you decide Tampa is your fit.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
Why not try tech around Austin?

Austin is a very tech-friendly city, your move won't cost as much (you may even be able to negotiate relocation assistance more easily- a rarity down here), it already has established the vibe that Tampa has been long trying to accomplish, and your salary will most likely either be higher there off the bat -or- at least have a better chance for growth. Husband had an offer in SE FL at the same time as Austin- also in tech, higher managerial- and the market here is not great for tech, no matter what level you're working... The jobs just don't exist like they do in other cities for tech here, and as such salaries aren't as high (it's a circular issue)... We chose FL because we intend to retire here, so why move twice, but wonder what Austin would have afforded us, professionally and in lifestyle. There are a lot of people your age in Austin (also the same age bracket as you)- Tampa area has a younger demographic in large part (though not entirely) because of the military being here. Cost of living here is not as cheap as some presume, and while there is decent healthcare it's still not on par, in my experience (can't speak to anyone else's), to any other place I've lived. Do not expect to rely entirely on public transportation if you need or enjoy it, because it's lacking in a lot of ways.

That said, stay near the beach if you can- then you will probably have a different opinion about any other downfalls that you might personally experience for the area. SE FL didn't work out for us for a few reasons, but going to the beach two or three times a week because we were only a few miles from it sure did help us adjust to what we didn't like at the time... The water/beach is an amazing mood regulator, Lol.

Also, I've sent you a message about jobs, should you decide Tampa is your fit.
Thank you,
I think I mentioned, I have a remote job opportunity in the works so I can live anywhere. I don't necessarily aim to live in a "tech-friendly city".

I am not really a fan of Austin. In fact, it's my least favorite Texas city. It's young because it's a college town. I'm on the late side of 30. Most tech heavy places have way too many high earning single men (good for women, bad for me), and I'm aiming to meet my future lady. So that won't work for me. I also find it highly overrated as a city - you will find a lot more to do here in Dallas or in Houston, both of which are more culturally diverse than Austin (more Mexican and Asian influence in both cities, more African Americans also in the mix as well). Austin's not really designed to hold as many people as it does so there are a lot of growing pains and the cost is skyrocketing.

You'd be surprised to know though that DFW may be actually a better place for tech jobs overall, especially if you're not looking to work in a startup environment (I actually work at a startup right now though). Definitely ton of tech jobs up here in Addison and Plano, they're magnets for millennial transplants. The jobs tend to pay more in Dallas than Austin. Of all tech cities in the US, Dallas tech jobs pay the most adjusted for cost of living.

Tampa's still on my list for non-career reasons, I may decide to hold off on my move for a year or two though seeing as I just got a big raise!!! Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by papi-p; 08-01-2019 at 10:09 PM..

Old 08-02-2019, 06:14 AM

3,438 posts, read 2,566,680 times
Quote:
Thank you,
I think I mentioned, I have a remote job opportunity in the works so I can live anywhere. I don't necessarily aim to live in a "tech-friendly city".

I am not really a fan of Austin. In fact, it's my least favorite Texas city. It's young because it's a college town. I'm on the late side of 30. Most tech heavy places have way too many high earning single men (good for women, bad for me), and I'm aiming to meet my future lady. So that won't work for me. I also find it highly overrated as a city - you will find a lot more to do here in Dallas or in Houston, both of which are more culturally diverse than Austin (more Mexican and Asian influence in both cities, more African Americans also in the mix as well). Austin's not really designed to hold as many people as it does so there are a lot of growing pains and the cost is skyrocketing.

You'd be surprised to know though that DFW may be actually a better place for tech jobs overall, especially if you're not looking to work in a startup environment (I actually work at a startup right now though). Definitely ton of tech jobs up here in Addison and Plano, they're magnets for millennial transplants. The jobs tend to pay more in Dallas than Austin. Of all tech cities in the US, Dallas tech jobs pay the most adjusted for cost of living.

Tampa's still on my list for non-career reasons, I may decide to hold off on my move for a year or two though seeing as I just got a big raise!!! Thanks for your thoughts.

You better make absolutely sure that you keep that job, or that you can find another high-paying tech job that is remote once you are in Tampa.

The way to do Tampa is to work remote for a company based elsewhere that actually pays well. In other words, don't expect to find a job or a high-paying job in Tampa.

I'm worried you are worried you may be bored in Tampa. I'm worried you may be too. Dallas is a giant metropolis compared to Tampa. Tampa is like Austin in that both places don't have that much to do.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:05 PM

12 posts, read 8,040 times
I lived in Tampa for 15 years, then moved to Austin for 3 and now currently reside in the DFW area. I too, work in a high-paying tech job and the above poster is spot-on; there are a few good companies in Tampa that you could potentially find some high-paying tech jobs, but overall, if you need to find another job, Tampa is not the ideal place to be. I can tell you, Tampa will feel very small after you've lived in the DFW area as there it is seemingly endless with a ton of diversity and places to go. However, as someone who likes doing outdoor things the DFW metroplex can seem like one giant business park with nothing but companies and thats about it. I feel that pain quite often. Also, one thing I noticed upon visiting Tampa now is that there are a lot of nice areas that have pockets of very trashy neighborhoods or areas within themselves, it is the nature of a lower COL state with crappy zoning laws, you don't see nearly as much of that in the DFW area I have noticed.

All that being said in Tampa, I would go with SOHO areas, channelside, and maybe St.Pete. Downtown Tampa is dead after evening rush hour and the rest of the Tampa area is mainly suburbs. Have you considered the Carolinas at all?

Old 08-07-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK35 View Post
I lived in Tampa for 15 years, then moved to Austin for 3 and now currently reside in the DFW area. I too, work in a high-paying tech job and the above poster is spot-on; there are a few good companies in Tampa that you could potentially find some high-paying tech jobs, but overall, if you need to find another job, Tampa is not the ideal place to be. I can tell you, Tampa will feel very small after you've lived in the DFW area as there it is seemingly endless with a ton of diversity and places to go. However, as someone who likes doing outdoor things the DFW metroplex can seem like one giant business park with nothing but companies and thats about it. I feel that pain quite often. Also, one thing I noticed upon visiting Tampa now is that there are a lot of nice areas that have pockets of very trashy neighborhoods or areas within themselves, it is the nature of a lower COL state with crappy zoning laws, you don't see nearly as much of that in the DFW area I have noticed.

All that being said in Tampa, I would go with SOHO areas, channelside, and maybe St.Pete. Downtown Tampa is dead after evening rush hour and the rest of the Tampa area is mainly suburbs. Have you considered the Carolinas at all?
Thanks for your thoughts.

I will admit my first impressions of Tampa proper were not great. I think St. Pete is really what impressed me, but I wouldn't find a job there unfortunately.

I'm considering Atlanta though I haven't been there in a while, I have a trip planned. Biggest thing for me is I'm a foodie and DFW, while there are some good food scenes (right now Frisco is booming), it's nothing like what I've had other places I've lived. Atlanta is a good food town. Tampa, I doubt it - no offense to Tampa.

I don't mind a smaller city. I'm getting older, but I don't really care about things hustling all the time. If I stay in Dallas, the burbs or Fort Worth is where I'll be. I moved to Dallas from NYC so I can't replace that no matter where I live and if I wanted to, I'd move back. But I won't.

Carolinas I don't have much of a context to consider living there... Raleigh seems nice but sort of boring. As long as there are cute normal single chicks there lol.

I have family in Tennessee and the Carolinas, that's where most of my stock is from, though I'm a Detroiter by birth, and an East Coast guy most of my adult life.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:51 AM

3,438 posts, read 2,566,680 times
Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts.

I will admit my first impressions of Tampa proper were not great. I think St. Pete is really what impressed me, but I wouldn't find a job there unfortunately.

I'm considering Atlanta though I haven't been there in a while, I have a trip planned. Biggest thing for me is I'm a foodie and DFW, while there are some good food scenes (right now Frisco is booming), it's nothing like what I've had other places I've lived. Atlanta is a good food town. Tampa, I doubt it - no offense to Tampa.

I don't mind a smaller city. I'm getting older, but I don't really care about things hustling all the time. If I stay in Dallas, the burbs or Fort Worth is where I'll be. I moved to Dallas from NYC so I can't replace that no matter where I live and if I wanted to, I'd move back. But I won't.

Carolinas I don't have much of a context to consider living there... Raleigh seems nice but sort of boring. As long as there are cute normal single chicks there lol.

I have family in Tennessee and the Carolinas, that's where most of my stock is from, though I'm a Detroiter by birth, and an East Coast guy most of my adult life.

You are a foodie? You will be miserable in Tampa, no matter how many people tell you that Tampa's restaurant/food scene has "gotten so much better." If you are a foodie then I assume you shop at Central Market?

There is nothing even remotely close to Central Market here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay