Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 06:33 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,896 times

Advertisements

My older brother (pushing 70) just moved to the Gulf coast to a place called Spring Hill. He keeps asking me to consider retiring near him & his wife next year. We're from SE PA outside of Philly - but in addition to despising heat & humidity (which I could almost sacrifice for him since he is my only family left), my largest concern is this talk of fire ants I hear about.

I have large canines whom I adore & must have a decent, grassy yard (not into dog parks) to exercise & run several times a day. Walking is not enough. They really need to run - on our own property. Are there really fire ant infestations all over Florida - or is that a myth?

This would be my last move, and while I'm not looking for any type of Utopia, I don't want to be miserable either. I also have family in Palm Harbor.

Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 10:43 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
There are fire ants. It's not like the ground is covered with them. They can be repelled from your yard with a bit of diligence.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:54 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
If you really despise heat and humidity, don't move. You'll get more than you care for in Spring Hill.

Tough call, I totally understand the family aspect.

RM

Old 08-26-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If you really despise heat and humidity, don't move. You'll get more than you care for in Spring Hill.

Tough call, I totally understand the family aspect.

RM
It is a tough call, RM - so Spring Hill is more humid than other areas?

Old 08-26-2019, 03:06 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,378,272 times
Spring Hill is in Pasco county, not far from the coast. I would not go that far north, but I am fine with heat and humidity, it is the cold that I can not live with.

You can make a better judgement if you come down for a visit in the summer.

I have never had to shovel heat.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:36 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,820,398 times
I moved here from SE PA to Spring Hill seven years ago. I grew up a mile outside Philly. My wife grew up in Philly. We love it here. We are not retirees, still working. Relocation was for my job in IT, and my wife is a RN.

My dog has never had any issues here due to fire ants or other insects. We have pest guy out every other month. I keep my grass cut, and I treat any ant mounds that pop up. It seems to be less and less each year.

Plus, after seven years, I'm also still waiting for the heat and humidity to be as bad as everyone had me thinking it would be. It's certainly hot and humid in the summer, but it was not as hot and humid as everyone made me believe it would be. As you know, the Philly area is no stranger to heat and humidity. I still have a screenshot of my phone from the summer before we moved and it was 102° degrees. It has never been that hot here.

Spring Hill is in Hernando County, BTW. Shady Hills in Pasco County uses Spring Hill for postal reasons, however.

Last edited by HWTechGuy; 08-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2019, 06:01 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I have large canines whom I adore & must have a decent, grassy yard (not into dog parks) to exercise & run several times a day. Walking is not enough. They really need to run - on our own property. Are there really fire ant infestations all over Florida - or is that a myth?

Just like your house, if you maintain your lawn you and your dogs should be just fine. I have lived in florida for over 40 yrs, and have never been over run by fire ants. My dog loves to be outside every afternoon running around and rolling all over my back yard.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:20 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I moved here from SE PA to Spring Hill seven years ago. I grew up a mile outside Philly. My wife grew up in Philly. We love it here. We are not retirees, still working. Relocation was for my job in IT, and my wife is a RN.

My dog has never had any issues here due to fire ants or other insects. We have pest guy out every other month. I keep my grass cut, and I treat any ant mounds that pop up. It seems to be less and less each year.

Plus, after seven years, I'm also still waiting for the heat and humidity to be as bad as everyone had me thinking it would be. It's certainly hot and humid in the summer, but it was not as hot and humid as everyone made me believe it would be. As you know, the Philly area is no stranger to heat and humidity. I still have a screenshot of my phone from the summer before we moved and it was 102° degrees. It has never been that hot here.

Spring Hill is in Hernando County, BTW. Shady Hills in Pasco County uses Spring Hill for postal reasons, however.
A good point.

I grew up and lived in the Midwest for a number of years before moving to Florida, and I will say that the heat and humidity here is no more oppressive than it was up north - it just last for a longer time. For that matter, I personally think the humidity in say August in the Midwest was far more uncomfortable than it is here. That "walk out the door and pour me into a bucket" feeling doesn't seem to be near as pervasive here as it was in the Midwest at the height of summer.

So I don't think the heat and humidity is as much an issue as the persistence of it....

RM

Old 08-27-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Spring Hill is in Pasco county, not far from the coast. I would not go that far north, but I am fine with heat and humidity, it is the cold that I can not live with.

You can make a better judgement if you come down for a visit in the summer.

I have never had to shovel heat.
LOL, engineman!!! Good point...but believe it or not, my original retirement desire was New England!!! Even thinking about the Sunshine State for me seems insane. Been there about 5 times for family stuff: Jupiter, West Palm & Clearwater areas. Was very happy to go home each time.

That said, the people are very, very nice & there are decent services for seniors.Mostly, I'll miss my brother. But I'm getting too old for hassles with my beloved canines (the fire ants thing)...Sigh...I'll have to visit next summer, I guess.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Just like your house, if you maintain your lawn you and your dogs should be just fine. I have lived in florida for over 40 yrs, and have never been over run by fire ants. My dog loves to be outside every afternoon running around and rolling all over my back yard.
Well THAT'S great to hear, mrviking. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay