Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 AM

5 posts, read 16,684 times

Advertisements

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Channelside...

Is it a safe area? Near South Tampa?

Stuff to do?

What about advice on renting the newly built condos? Good or bad idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
I went past grand central Kennedy condos and no stores were open. No signs that even say stores are coming. Its been months seen gck opened yet nobody wants to set up shop. Channelside is a cruise stop and a half arse entertainment complex. Disadvantage would be you would have to drive for groceries, etc. Unless your very fit and do not mind walking that far.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:25 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwed102 View Post
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Channelside...

Is it a safe area? Near South Tampa?

Stuff to do?

What about advice on renting the newly built condos? Good or bad idea?
IMO Advantages of Channelside:
less than a mile from dowtown Tampa's business core(great if you work there)and downtown amenities like the Performing Arts Center, Tampa Theater, Tampa Hisotry Center, Museum of Art, some great eateries; less than a mile to Ybor City(great dining, entertainment, movies, funky shops, festivals, historic district) - both accessible by either a streetcar or trolley; In your backyard is Channelside Bay Plaza - some great restaurants, coffee shop, wine shop, a few reatail outlets, upscale bowling/restaurant, 9 theater movie complex with an IMAX theater, live entertainment, a few nightclubs; Florida Aquarium; The Forum with all major concerts, Arena Football, NHL Hockey, and special events; a few parks along the River like Cotanchobee Park and Curtis Hixon Park, there are a few conveience stores and a gas station as well.

There is a Publix grocery about a mile on Bayshore Blvd and Platt Street.

South Tampa areas like Hyde Park/SOHO are less than 2 miles from Channelside district.

It is reletively safe, but like anywhere, always be aware of your surroundings.

I would definitely rent before buying to see if this type of neighborhood is for you, and get familiar with the area. I'm sure there are alot of rentals due to the Real Estate market...

IMO Disadvatages of Channelside:
very new urban residential area, construction...

Old 04-17-2008, 09:45 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Not too far from Buc's Raymond James Stadium, Bayshore and Hyde Park, MacDill AFB is nearby (I'm military). U of Tampa nearby, too.

I don't like the idea of Ybor being nearby (yikes - crime ridden area).

Easy access to Interstate, not far from airport.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM

717 posts, read 773,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Not too far from Buc's Raymond James Stadium, Bayshore and Hyde Park, MacDill AFB is nearby (I'm military). U of Tampa nearby, too.

I don't like the idea of Ybor being nearby (yikes - crime ridden area).

Easy access to Interstate, not far from airport.
I thought Ybor city was a great place for night life?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:48 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
Yea but its very sketchy at night. Thats were all the bums live.

Living in the Channelside is ok but you have to realize its up and comming. So a lot of things will take time like yea you have the trolly to take you around but its limited. They will be expanding the track in though in 09 I believe?

I noticed some condos all the way to left hand side perhaps a little closer to channelside while driving past gck today. How are those projects shaping up?

Old 04-17-2008, 01:08 PM

94 posts, read 367,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
Up till about 1AM max - then it's a war zone numerous incidents of fight, shooting and stabbings - when you read the paper you'll see its always around 2-4AM. But up to 12 or so there's plenty of people, lots of cops and a good safe time to be had...

Old 04-17-2008, 01:59 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Gator View Post
Up till about 1AM max - then it's a war zone numerous incidents of fight, shooting and stabbings - when you read the paper you'll see its always around 2-4AM. But up to 12 or so there's plenty of people, lots of cops and a good safe time to be had...
Im prob showing my age, but Ybor is great until around midnight, then I go home..but there are a slew of GREAT restaurants, and live music/entertainment options in Ybor, lots of festivals(beer, cigar, international, music, arts, cultural) and independant theater...but after midnight, there are too many young ones(under 25) that storm that area from parts outside of Tampa, it's fine if your into that sort of thing.

As far as bums, I have seen a panhandler here and there, but they are now arrested if caught...dont see any so called "bums" along 7th and 8th avenues..

Last year in 2007 there was one stabbing and a shooting outside of a club that no longer exists(FUEL), I havent read anything like that so far this year. Cops are just about on every street corner and on horse, in addition, "Big Brother" is watching via video cams on the street lights along 7th and 8th avenues.

But as anyplace that involves large groups of ALL kinds of people(very diverse) and alcohol, you never know whats going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay