Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
DMX DMX started this thread

46 posts, read 239,547 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I want to know if anybody had opinions on the Montessori system of education...

It looks attractive on paper and we just visited a couple of them in South Tampa
  • Montessori Beach Park School
  • Montessori Childrens House of Hyde Park
I would like to ask our friends if you have anything good/bad to say about these schools and the type of education they provide.

Thanks for your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 04:39 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
I can tell you what I tell ALL people interested in private schools: CHECK ACCREDITATION. The school should be accredited at the LEAST by FCIS (Florida Council of Independent Schools) Florida Council of Independent Schools and for a montessori, by one of the montessori societies, like american montessori society (am I allowed to post links here?) American Montessori Society (http://www.amshq.org/schools_accreditation.htm - broken link)

The thing about montessoris is that the name is not licensed so any one, for profit or not, can use the name without it being a "real" school. The two you listed are not part of the AMS that I could tell, but you can certainly contact them and ask for their accreditation

Old 04-18-2008, 06:10 PM
DMX DMX started this thread

46 posts, read 239,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I can tell you what I tell ALL people interested in private schools: CHECK ACCREDITATION. The school should be accredited at the LEAST by FCIS (Florida Council of Independent Schools) Florida Council of Independent Schools and for a montessori, by one of the montessori societies, like american montessori society (am I allowed to post links here?) American Montessori Society (http://www.amshq.org/schools_accreditation.htm - broken link)

The thing about montessoris is that the name is not licensed so any one, for profit or not, can use the name without it being a "real" school. The two you listed are not part of the AMS that I could tell, but you can certainly contact them and ask for their accreditation
Wow.. thanks a ton, annesg.. will check these links out..

Old 04-27-2008, 08:14 PM

76 posts, read 331,280 times
My opinion? Save your money.

We went to several Montessori schools and were shocked at what we saw. Shocked. Maybe it was a bad sample, but not a bad day, as we visited on several occassions. Find a public school here with a good reputation. Look for A rated schools, go to the school, talk to administrtors, talk with parents, drive through the neighborhood and talk to people who have kids there and ask them what they think.

Look at Hillsborough County and Pinellas County school district websites and download County school grades.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 10,401 times
I would DEFINITELY agree with annesg! Just because a school uses the name Montessori does NOT mean that it is REALLY a Montessori school!!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 8,578 times
I am also trying to decide on Montessori verses Christian school. My daughter is four, very creative and is starting to read and write. But she definitely has a hard time with structure. I am not sure what is the best route for her. The Christian school has alot of structure and a rigorous curriculum wihich I would like for me but I dont know if it is write for her. Any thoughts..

Old 11-09-2011, 05:43 PM

239 posts, read 671,115 times
Hello Lady Doc,

I am a big advocate of montessori education and you can't even begin to compare it to Christian schools. I won't go into too much detail as I do not know you or your child but any "good" Montessori school will offer you a day of silent observation and will also require your daughter to do a visitation prior to enrollment. I would take advantage of this and then make your decsision. I would say that you shouldn't make this decision unitl you have done a day of observation and truly understand the Montessori philosophy. You should read some articles on Montessori education and make an informed decision. I'm happy to answer any questions or recommend some schools. I've posted on this subject before. Be cautious of those who offer opinions of anything "different" to be a waste but have no personal experience or knowledge. It is this type of close minded thinking that Montessori aims to avoid.

good luck!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 AM

71 posts, read 131,936 times
We have a child that attends the Montessori Children's House of Hyde Park. We absolutely love it. We looked at the Beach Park Montessori as well, but (aside from the fact that it was not a true Montessori school) we found the quality of the teachers to be not as good, and the classroom structure to be less of a good fit for our child.

There are a few things you should know, since there has been some misinformation in the previous replies. MCHHP is the only AMI accredited Montessori school in Tampa. The AMI was founded by Dr. Maria Montessori and is the only association that strictly adheres to the principles laid out for a Montessori education. The fact that the Montessori name is not patented/trademarked means that a number of other schools and associations have popped up claiming to be "official". Unfortunately, none of them are (yes, that includes AMS schools); and they deviate from Montessori guidelines to varying degrees. Many of them have modified the guidelines believing that they are outdated/unnecessary. Others have chosen to ignore aspects simply in order to save costs or to placate parents. In the end, it is debatable how important it is to have AMI accreditation, but I will say this: I believe the quality and AMI training of the teachers makes all the difference. In addition, the age requirements and classroom structure are critical. We visited some "Montessori" schools that accepted 1 and 2-year olds and were run more like some kind of glorified daycare. Needless to say, these are scam schools trying to make a buck off the name. We also came across many other parents with the misconception that Montessori is only for pre-school age kids, intending to switch them to some other primary school at age 5. These people really had no grasp of what a Montessori education is.

If you are already interested in a Montessori school for your child, I would strongly recommend MCHHP. We have visited most every Montessori and Montessori-type school in the Bay Area, and for us there was no comparison. I would characterize MCHHP as a humble school that produces astonishing results, both in terms of academics and personal character.

I you have specific questions, I'm happy to help

Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,894 times
JNICHOLS2,

Do you still have your children attending MCHHP? I am interested in enrolling my daughter there sometime soon, and was wondering if any of your opinions have changed since you posted this? I just want to get some more opinions before we go on the waitlist. Also have tuition rates changed? What are they now exactly? I am aware of the "montessori" schools that charge ridiculous prices and aren't accredited, im glad to hear that MCHHP is accredited. Thank you!!

Old 01-12-2014, 11:34 PM

6 posts, read 13,502 times
It is really great to read a post from someone who really understand Montessori and all that word brings with it from not being trademarked to understanding the philosophy most definitely goes beyond age 5. Our son attends Montessori and we are considering relocating to the Tampa Bay area.Thank you for your post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay