U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 08:20 AM

18 posts, read 7,952 times

Advertisements

We've finally purchased a wonderful home in the Fishhawk community and are excited to move!

One major project we'd like to have done right away is a pool renovation. At the very least, resurfacing the pool. Then, depending on costs, potentially adding a tanning deck. And if we are adding the tanning deck and it wasn't too much more crazy expensive, even potentially expanding the pool a bit. I don't have a set budget in mind for this overhaul, it's really going to depend on how much we could get done at what cost. The pool is concrete and about 15 years old.

Has anyone overhauled their pool and have a rough idea of costs?

Are there any good companies in the area that anyone can recommend?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 11:01 AM

439 posts, read 528,569 times
i went with Swimscapes & Surfaces when i did my renovation. Found them through HomeAdvisor, and they turned out to be great, and at the lowest price compared to a bunch of others that i got estimates from.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:57 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,396 posts, read 4,644,119 times
No such thing as a "good pool company". They're all lousy, and that's coming from a buddy who was in the business for 15 years.

The best thing you can do is to find someone that has been around for the longest time first. Then be sure to have an attorney review the contract. Then give them as little deposit as possible and only pay out as agreed upon at specified times based on the percentage of completion.

And it's not going to be cheap to re-engineer an existing pool. We're talking 10s of thousands of dollars. Depending on the size, a resurface for a gunite/plaster pool depending on the material used will probably be north of $5,000.

RM

Old 10-30-2019, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the company recommendation! I will definitely check them out.

I have prepared myself for it not to be cheap. I'm picturing the pool being my sanctuary and I'd like to give it some "wow" factor but I also don't want things to get ridiculously out of control in terms of costs.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:23 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,396 posts, read 4,644,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdogz10103 View Post
Thanks for the company recommendation! I will definitely check them out.

I have prepared myself for it not to be cheap. I'm picturing the pool being my sanctuary and I'd like to give it some "wow" factor but I also don't want things to get ridiculously out of control in terms of costs.
You need to be prepared, as pool construction costs are all over the map, mainly because there's no standard that exists due to the variations in the end product.

Granted, you have an existing pool, but to give you an idea, a new pool at an existing house consisting of a basic rectangle, the slab/decking, related equipment and screened enclosure is at minimum $50k. And that's for a bare-bones simple pool setup. Get fancy with a unique shape or a spa with a spill over and the price goes up exponentially.

I realize this is what a new pool would cost, but the point is to give you some idea of scale as it relates to costs in general. Start ripping up an existing pool and I can't imagine what it would cost.

Good luck. I think you're in a for a big surprise.

RM

Old 11-30-2019, 08:48 PM

Just thought I'd update this thread, in case anyone else was wondering.

Very ballpark figures, but I spoke with a number of local pool companies, and to resurface a medium sized pool, and adding a sundeck, I'm looking at roughly $10k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay