Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 04:50 PM

95 posts, read 119,448 times

Advertisements

We are spending a week in early December in St Petersburg this year instead of a week in South Beach like we have for a decade. We are big fans of Joe's Stone Crab in South Beach, for it's top notch food, old world NYC style legacy restaurant service and feel. Place has been in Miami Beach since the 1920s and most of it's staff have been there for decades and are true professionals. Incredible food, incredible service, and a blast to eat at. Not cheap, yes, but when you wait all year to visit Miami, it's worth the splurge.

In Miami, we also love the Rusty Pelican, and Balans on Lincoln Road. Up north, we love Zabar's in NYC - old world style places that have been around for ages that do not rest on their laurels, but are the real deal.

Can anyone point to any top notch excellent quality old world style restaurants/cafes/bakeries/delis/ice cream parlors/stores in St Petersburg area that are must visits? Is there a place that is considered the Joe's Stone Crab of St Petersburg or Clearwater or Tampa, et al?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 07:09 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
There is a Rusty Pelican in Tampa on the Causeway. I haven't been for several years but It's a nice place with good food.

There is also Salt Rock Grille in Indian Shores that is very good.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Well ya got your Crab Shack out by Gandy bridge =Crab Shack Restaurant, St Petersburg, FL

Old 11-12-2019, 11:06 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite2015 View Post
We are spending a week in early December in St Petersburg this year instead of a week in South Beach like we have for a decade. We are big fans of Joe's Stone Crab in South Beach, for it's top notch food, old world NYC style legacy restaurant service and feel. Place has been in Miami Beach since the 1920s and most of it's staff have been there for decades and are true professionals. Incredible food, incredible service, and a blast to eat at. Not cheap, yes, but when you wait all year to visit Miami, it's worth the splurge.

In Miami, we also love the Rusty Pelican, and Balans on Lincoln Road. Up north, we love Zabar's in NYC - old world style places that have been around for ages that do not rest on their laurels, but are the real deal.

Can anyone point to any top notch excellent quality old world style restaurants/cafes/bakeries/delis/ice cream parlors/stores in St Petersburg area that are must visits? Is there a place that is considered the Joe's Stone Crab of St Petersburg or Clearwater or Tampa, et al?

Thank you.

I also love Joe's and Zabar's. I was just at Zabar's yesterday before flying back to TPA.

Tampa Bay (which includes Tampa and St. Pete) is the humble, lower class cousin of Miami. You are not going to find anything like Zabar's or Joe's in Tampa Bay. I'm worried that you expect to find "top notch excellent quality old world style" restaurants here. This is a city/region that doesn't even have ONE five-star hotel. This is also a city/region that doesn't even have ONE French bakery.

The only legacy restaurants here are Bern's and Columbia (both in Tampa). I do not recommend Columbia unless you like hospital cafeteria-quality pan-Latin food.

Bern's has its fans.

I would recommend Mazzaro's in St. Pete. I would also recommend Oxford Exchange in St. Pete and Tampa.

Please for the love of god do not go to Rusty Pelican or Salt Rock Grille or Crab Shack. That crap is NOT what you are seeking.

Last edited by sinatras; 11-12-2019 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-12-2019, 12:21 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
What? No love for Long John Silvers?....

Old 11-12-2019, 12:31 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
What? No love for Long John Silvers?....
Long John Silver's is wonderful -- on the day before a colonoscopy when you need to empty your large intestine and rectum of all fecal matter. Great day to eat Long John Silver's!

Old 11-12-2019, 02:02 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Long John Silver's is wonderful -- on the day before a colonoscopy when you need to empty your large intestine and rectum of all fecal matter. Great day to eat Long John Silver's!

Nice to know there's a purpose for every restaurant.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I also love Joe's and Zabar's. I was just at Zabar's yesterday before flying back to TPA.

Tampa Bay (which includes Tampa and St. Pete) is the humble, lower class cousin of Miami. You are not going to find anything like Zabar's or Joe's in Tampa Bay. I'm worried that you expect to find "top notch excellent quality old world style" restaurants here. This is a city/region that doesn't even have ONE five-star hotel. This is also a city/region that doesn't even have ONE French bakery.

The only legacy restaurants here are Bern's and Columbia (both in Tampa). I do not recommend Columbia unless you like hospital cafeteria-quality pan-Latin food.

Bern's has its fans.

I would recommend Mazzaro's in St. Pete. I would also recommend Oxford Exchange in St. Pete and Tampa.

Please for the love of god do not go to Rusty Pelican or Salt Rock Grille or Crab Shack. That crap is NOT what you are seeking.

Thanks SO MUCH to everyone for their suggestions!! We don't only eat at Joe's high end type places, but we do love to do so when on vacation if possible. A decent seafood place, even if not super fancy, would be terrific, if there are no Joe's to be had in St Petersburg.

However, given that we are coming from the icy cold north, we ALSO love a decent quality sidewalk cafe so we can eat outside, hopefully not too touristy. A place where we can become "regulars" while in town - something open late-ish, if possible. (Late for us is like 10pm).

Any suggestions along these lines? Sidewalk cafe/seafood? Doesn't have to be high end, just decent drinks and food for lunch/dinner.

Thanks again!!!

Old 11-13-2019, 07:44 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Tampa Bay is a wonderful place, much more down to earth and way friendlier than Miami.

There's a great 'old Florida' place you should check out in the Tierra Verde area of St. Pete called Billy's Stone Crab. They've been around for 43 years, and there's a great open air bar on the roof with a view of a bayou that attracts manatees. We usually eat up there, and have never been disappointed with the food or the friendly and outgoing staff. They are located at 1 Collany Road.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:34 PM

Thank you for the tip! Much appreciated. We love the "old Florida" places. Will check this out!

Do you happen to have any tips regarding sidewalk cafes in St Petersburg, or places to check out in Clearwater or other nearby areas?

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay