Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:33 PM

5 posts, read 13,993 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My family and I are visting tampa again this wkend for a 14 day stay. Last time we went we did not get a chance to do much
I wanted to know:
1. Which are the best beaches in the area?
2. Anywhere for family jet skiing?
3. Any special events June 14-29?

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
LFFF Looking For Family Fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:49 PM

6 posts, read 65,469 times
well, i personally like Clearwater beach and Fort Desoto is popular as well.

I believe you can buy jet skis and just ski around yourself.

not sure about any events though, i'm more of a relax with friends guy at starbucks and movies etc.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:13 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
In my opinion Pass-a-Grille if you like to have small town amenities like restaurants, small B&B's, and parking within feet of the sand. Fort DeSoto North Beach if you like miles of unspoiled beaches, and park like amenities like bike rentals and trails, canoe and kayak rentals and paddling trails, an old historic fort to discover, fishing piers, and a ferry to egmont key, bbq grills and shade covered picnic areas.

Clearwater Beach Marina and Treausre Island at Johns Pass are two areas I know of that you can rent jet ski's. In Tampa, I believe they may still rent them on Rocky Point near Bahama Breeze off the Casueway.

Here are a few calendar links..see what you like:
Calendar of Events
Creative Loafing Tampa | EVENTS HOME
Festival Events - Official Travel Site for the St. Petersburg & Clearwater Area America’s Top Rated Beaches (http://www.floridasbeach.com/events/?type=4 - broken link)
tbt.com - tbt* / Tampa Bay Times - click the calendar link
Events2 - City of St. Petersburg (http://cms.stpete.org/default.asp?page=1420 - broken link)

Old 06-11-2008, 08:15 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRest View Post
Hi everyone!

My family and I are visting tampa again this wkend for a 14 day stay. Last time we went we did not get a chance to do much
I wanted to know:
Clearwater has the nicest sand for a big beach. Try going to Caladesi Island to explore with its nice beach. North Beach at Fort Desoto is great. Nobody really mentions it, but also look into South St. Pete Beach at the southern most tip of Pinellas on the gulf side.

I use to go to Johns Pass in Treasure Island to rent jet skis. Had a blast there. They have lots of restaurants and entertainment at Johns Pass as well.

To find out what events are happening in the area, you can go here and plug in your dates that you'll be here and either specify the city or area you want to visit and it shows everything.
Entertainment | tampabay.com - St. Petersburg Times and tbt*

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
LFFF Looking For Family Fun
When I lived in Tampa, I always went across the bridge to Pinellas county for entertainment during the day. Tampa is mainly for partying at nights when you're young unless you really like going to the mall, but I guess you can't do that anywhere else right? I just found Clearwater/St. Pete area more family friendly with its beaches. Also, take your family to Downtown St. Pete area to walk around and explore the area. They have the Dali Museum and the Fine Arts Museum there that's wonderful. All that is within walking distance of each other in Downtown St. Pete.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
When I lived in Tampa, I always went across the bridge to Pinellas county for entertainment during the day. Tampa is mainly for partying at nights when you're young unless you really like going to the mall, but I guess you can't do that anywhere else right? I just found Clearwater/St. Pete area more family friendly with its beaches. Also, take your family to Downtown St. Pete area to walk around and explore the area. They have the Dali Museum and the Fine Arts Museum there that's wonderful. All that is within walking distance of each other in Downtown St. Pete.
Tampa has its share of family fun, when the niece and nephews come to town they love places like the Florida Aquarium, Police and Fire Museums downtown, Channelside IMAX and Splitsville, a ride on the Streetcar to Ybor City, Game Works and Jax in Ybor City, Museum of Science and Industry/IMAX, of course Busch Gardens and Adventure Island, Lowry Park Zoo, and canoe trips down the Hillsborough River from Canoe Escape rentals, Big Cat Rescue is a fav of there's now, and doing some wildlife walking at parks like Lettuce Lake, and Wilderness Park systems.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Tampa has its share of family fun, when the niece and nephews come to town they love places like the Florida Aquarium, Police and Fire Museums downtown, Channelside IMAX and Splitsville, a ride on the Streetcar to Ybor City, Game Works and Jax in Ybor City, Museum of Science and Industry/IMAX, of course Busch Gardens and Adventure Island, Lowry Park Zoo, and canoe trips down the Hillsborough River from Canoe Escape rentals, Big Cat Rescue is a fav of there's now, and doing some wildlife walking at parks like Lettuce Lake, and Wilderness Park systems.
I'm not saying it doesn't. I just had my preferences since I grew up in St. Pete. I do find that Tampa has better dining choices when it comes to finer food. There was no Channelside when I lived there so I've never even been there.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
I'm not saying it doesn't. I just had my preferences since I grew up in St. Pete. I do find that Tampa has better dining choices when it comes to finer food. There was no Channelside when I lived there so I've never even been there.
The only thing I kinda had a difference of opinion was your statement "Tampa is mainly for partying at nights when you're young unless you really like going to the mall" I just dont feel the same way...thats all, all is good

Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 AM

979 posts, read 3,828,663 times
Quote:
These are all very good suggestions. I don't even think I can add anything. He has covered all bases.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
The only thing I kinda had a difference of opinion was your statement "Tampa is mainly for partying at nights when you're young unless you really like going to the mall" I just dont feel the same way...thats all, all is good
I feel ya. It's definitely all good. I guess I've lived in both places and bias to a certain degree towards one side. If do ever get a chance to move to that area, I'd probably live in the Bayshore/Hyde Park area. Can't stand the burbs in any place and that area has great schools and beautiful neighborhoods.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:40 PM

Oh, one thing that everybody always forget to mention when visiting the Tampa Bay area is that it has this professional baseball team call The Rays that plays in St. Pete. If your family is a baseball fan and wanted to catch a game, you can always get tickets to go see them and have a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay