Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 PM

38 posts, read 131,384 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 and looking to relocate with my boyfriend. We've narrowed down our list of possible cities and Tampa is one of them. We currently live in a young and active area in downtown Baltimore, but have lived here our whole lives and want to try something new before we decide to settle down.

We are active and would love to meet people our age. We are looking to rent ($1,200/month) and like an area with character, where we can walk to local restaurants, events, etc. We are looking for jobs in marketing/graphic design and in the financial sector. We had a friend suggest looking into Davis Island (he lived there his sr. yr at UT). Any suggestions would be gratly appreciated! We'd like to have an understanding of where we want to be befor we start seriously looking.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 03:48 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Davis Island or S. Tampa would fit what you are looking for. You can walk to restaurants and stores. Hyde park or SoHo.. are the areas in S. Tampa.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:32 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgVT View Post
I'm 24 and looking to relocate with my boyfriend. We've narrowed down our list of possible cities and Tampa is one of them. We currently live in a young and active area in downtown Baltimore, but have lived here our whole lives and want to try something new before we decide to settle down.

We are active and would love to meet people our age. We are looking to rent ($1,200/month) and like an area with character, where we can walk to local restaurants, events, etc. We are looking for jobs in marketing/graphic design and in the financial sector. We had a friend suggest looking into Davis Island (he lived there his sr. yr at UT). Any suggestions would be gratly appreciated! We'd like to have an understanding of where we want to be befor we start seriously looking.

Thanks!
You describe areas in South Tampa for what you are looking for in your post. Hyde Park, SOHO areas, Davis Islands, Palma Ceia, Bayshore Gardens neighborhoods. Zipa 33606, 33629 and 33611.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:55 PM

26 posts, read 97,933 times
I would encourage you to check out St Petersburg. You'll love it. The downtown area is really nice without being overbearing or too busy. There are many new highrise condo buildings being built. About 10 miles from the downtown is the beach. Pinellas County is pretty large. Get a map or go to mapquest.com and type in St Petersburg, FL . That will help you get a lay of the land. Moderator cut: website removed

Last edited by Keeper; 04-21-2008 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: soliciting

Old 04-21-2008, 08:14 PM

Thank you!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
Tampa has had "potential" for as long as I've lived here, but downtown isn't getting much better. The mayor is trying, though. S. Tampa and Davis Island are both nice. St. Pete has a lot going on and is much more walkable, and the waterfront is nicer. (Bayshore Blvd. stinks at low tide)

Marketing and Graphic Design are not industries you'll find here. Beware of the "marketing" positions that are either door-to-door or just a complete scam. For financial work, Raymond James is headquartered here, and there are several others with large offices in the Carillon area, that's on the St. Pete side right by the Howard Franklin (I-275) bridge, it's accessible from either Tampa or St. Pete. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 12,325 times
I am afraid that being from Baltimore you will be very disappointed with Tampa for Jobs. I am from the NE as well; moved here a few years ago. I have been very disappointed with the jobs in this area. Very few 'good, stable' jobs. Mostly service industry jobs, and a lot of "part-time, no benefits jobs" . I am planning on leaving here. The people are very different as well.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie65290 View Post
I am afraid that being from Baltimore you will be very disappointed with Tampa for Jobs. I am from the NE as well; moved here a few years ago. I have been very disappointed with the jobs in this area. Very few 'good, stable' jobs. Mostly service industry jobs, and a lot of "part-time, no benefits jobs" . I am planning on leaving here. The people are very different as well.
Thanks for the advice. How are the people different?

Old 04-23-2008, 04:30 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgVT View Post

Thanks!

Downtown St Pete is walkable I would put that one on the top of your list. And some of the other areas mentioned are good also.

There is really not much in downtown tampa.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:57 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Marketing and Graphic Design are not industries you'll find here. Beware of the "marketing" positions that are either door-to-door or just a complete scam. For financial work, Raymond James is headquartered here, and there are several others with large offices in the Carillon area, that's on the St. Pete side right by the Howard Franklin (I-275) bridge, it's accessible from either Tampa or St. Pete. Good luck.
There are quite a few Marketing and Graphic Design business in Tampa(my buddy owns one of them)...here is a lsiting of just a few of the bigger ones:
Creative Impact, Vanguard multimedia, Crush Branding, Studio Zuse, Enterra, Inc., Inforamtion Design Dynamics, eNox Media, Firefly Creative Group, 4th Door Enterprises, Visual realm Design Firm, Converge Creative..there are lots more.

Some other Financial Services that have regional headquarters in Tampa are MetLife, Bank of America, and Citigroup Depository Trust & Clearing House, USAA, JP Morgan Chase, New York Life, Progressive and T. Rowe Price.

Last edited by tampaguy03; 04-23-2008 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay