Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 AM

717 posts, read 773,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
No, it's not hatred - it's being quite honest and objective. I've heard it all regarding the reasons people from the NE and Midwest move to Florida, mainly - "The weather!" "No more shoveling snow!!!" "The beaches!" "DISNEY!!!" Well, those are nice - but those are what vacations are for. There are so many people (non retirees) who move to FL, take huge pay cuts at first, and then complain non stop about their new life here - how it's "not like Long Island" or "not like Philly".

Growing up in FL, with parents from NYC (but 20+ year residents of FL), I never understood why people would have bumper stickers that said "GO HOME YANKEE"... now, I kind of understand.
Those people who leave the North East and then complain the whole time are miserable people who thrive on being unhappy. I currently live in hoboken NJ. I grew up 30 mins from NYC in Jersey. I love the nyc metro area. I love the Giants, islanders and Mets and love going to watch them play.
However, the cost of living and winters are driving my wife and I away. We know before hand that Florida is not New York (what a revelation!) and are fine with that. The idots who are complaining were not honest withthemselves when making their move. Its all about the tradeoffs.
We are giving up the selection of restaurants and big city life for Florida.

And its so bad down there- 75 in January, palm trees, pools, beaches, outdoor bars, waterfronts, year round golf, (albeit early Am in the summer), shorts and t shirts year round. Oh you relocated miserable Northeasterners have it so hard.
When we get downthere we will not be miserable northeasterners. We know the differences and have done our research. and If I hear one Northeasterner complain to me when its sunny and 75 in January, I will make sure to throw them in a nice refreshing pool.
And If I see a Go Home yankee bumbersticker I will rip it off the hill billy pick up trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 09:54 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,585 times
Well, they're more than allowed to have that on their trucks - or whatever vehicle they're driving, if they choose - just not truckticles.

What's the old adage? Florida's three states - Miami, Gulf Coast, and South Georgia.

Learn it.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:12 AM

717 posts, read 773,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Well, they're more than allowed to have that on their trucks - or whatever vehicle they're driving, if they choose - just not truckticles.

What's the old adage? Florida's three states - Miami, Gulf Coast, and South Georgia.

Learn it.
I like that old adage. Im sure the go home Yankee thoughts are exaggerated for the sake of this forum. But I also think the sentiment is there. At least a little in the Gulf Coast and definitely South Georgia.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:58 PM

90 posts, read 352,982 times
I've wondered that myself. My ex, who made 85K in NYC was offered $8.00 an hour down here for the same job.

However, as an RN, I am making in Tampa what I made in NY. Hard to believe. In NY I couldn't keep a roof over my head; down here I'm rolling in dough. Everything is so much cheaper down here, I guess it's just that so many retirees down here need nursing care, so nurses are in high demand.

And I'm not a big fan of the hatred of Northerners myself. I lived here about 6 months and had bumper stickers made up that say "YEAH, I'M FROM NEW YORK, YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT??" I've given them out to all the Northerners I've met; now you see them all around Tampa!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,585 times
Neato.....

Old 04-23-2008, 02:29 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Then dont! Whats so hard about that just stay up north!

The OP started a thread with a reasonable question that could have led to intelligent dialog regarding cost of living, relative income, and the job market. Moderator cut: comment

Last edited by Keeper; 04-23-2008 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: just answer the OP and report post if it is out of line

Old 04-23-2008, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 12,322 times
I am from PA also, and now live in Tampa. I am very disappointed by the jobs here. They are mostly service industry jobs, and don't pay well. unfortunately, the cost of living is NOT equally low. Retirees etc. with money from OUTSIDE the area have increased the cost of things and the wages jst have not kept pace. I have given it a shot here, and simply don't have much choice but to move elsewhere in hopes of a better future.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:32 PM

123 posts, read 346,827 times
Totally agree I have been here 8 years from MI and NC and still payed less as an RN than right out of nursing school up north and housing is unreachable. Still ,the sun shines most of the time so I stay.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 PM

90 posts, read 352,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdame View Post
Totally agree I have been here 8 years from MI and NC and still payed less as an RN than right out of nursing school up north and housing is unreachable. Still ,the sun shines most of the time so I stay.
Wow I'm surprised to hear that. Like I said, I'm making what I was making in NY. Hmmmmm, maybe I really lucked out in the job hunt. Guess I should quit complaining about my job!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:04 PM

190 posts, read 650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Then dont! Whats so hard about that just stay up north!
first of all, if i had the weather and beaches up north, do you think i would be here with the northern hating floridians????

i took a 4 dollar hr. pay cut to be here in the ghetto of beautiful N.E tampa, i would love to be in S. tampa or carrolwood, and i was offed as much as a 8 dollar pay cut from some potential employers, but i wasn't having all that. that would have been a 16,000 dollar a year pay cut. i mean with 3.50 gas and other bills/food at an all time high, when are pays going to increases? people were struggling when gas was .85 cents in 1998. i've even heard from a friend thats been here a few years that he was going to take a job when he first came down starting 14.hr, same job today is starting 11.hr, . i will post something i wrote in a different thread:

i must say that the only thing i don't like here in Tampa is when i went on some job interviews, companies are cheap. from providence RI the cost of living is very similar, yet here they pay much less, and tell you it because of the cost of living difference. i have to disagree tho. i paint cars and insurance companies pay the same here or anywhere, so it comes down to employers are just elcheapo's and thats that...not to mention it costs significantly less to own a shop here in Florida because of no heating bills and less OSHA regulations.....

Last edited by mikewu9900; 04-24-2008 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay