Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,903 times

Advertisements

Holiday certainly isn't that great. But it could be nice if anyone took a little pride in the way their house looked. As far as not moving there if someone gave you a free house, must be nice to be that rich. As for the rest of us, my little home in holiday is beautiful. It's a place where average people can afford to BUY a home. And I think it could be a nice place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM

68 posts, read 271,689 times
Yikes!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,515 times
Hey, I live in a nice area of homes in Holiday. There aren't any strip clubs in the area of our subdivison. We checked out the area (Aloha Gardens) before we bought the house. Our house is in a quiet neighborhood and not much traffic.

Last edited by grammie24; 05-16-2011 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: added thoughts

Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 AM

52 posts, read 113,409 times
I've lived in Holiday for 25 years and I can attest to a few things.

First, the area was once very nice, clean and probably more than 90% elderly. Many have since died and the houses were no longer taken care of by the next owners or renters.

Right now, there are a lot of renters who don't take care of the home and make the neighborhoods looks terrible. There's a lot of younger families renting and really trashing some parts.

It is true, HLE is notorious. I really would stay away from there.

A lot of low lives, panhandlers (mostly angry Vets), strip clubs, gas stations, bars...Tattoo places.

You do have some very nice subdivisions but for the location, I don't see the point. Very close to US 19 which is very full of traffic and bad drivers.

In my experience a lot of elderly, young people smoking pot, doing drugs, getting on welfare.

Holiday is also pretty small. It's not completely terrible but the not so good outweighs. Kind of a depressing area and honestly, free house or not, I certainly would not take it.

Tarpon Springs, being so small and close to Holiday has a beautiful and artistic, yet very old, Greek and boating community. Port Richey, possibly worse than Holiday in many parts but more to do ( malls n such).

I think over all, the appeal visually isn't there either. Many streets need to be repaved, grasses mowed, houses redone, businesses always coming and going, while other places remain vacant. It needs some work that is for sure.

Trinity is a nicer area, more money but nicer. It's a big difference.

Sorry I couldn't sugar coat anything, it is what it is.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:36 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikim36 View Post

First, the area was once very nice, clean and probably more than 90% elderly. Many have since died and the houses were no longer taken care of by the next owners or renters.

Right now, there are a lot of renters who don't take care of the home and make the neighborhoods looks terrible. There's a lot of younger families renting and really trashing some parts.

A lot of low lives, panhandlers (mostly angry Vets), strip clubs, gas stations, bars...Tattoo places.

You do have some very nice subdivisions but for the location, I don't see the point. Very close to US 19 which is very full of traffic and bad drivers.

In my experience a lot of elderly, young people smoking pot, doing drugs, getting on welfare.

Holiday is also pretty small. It's not completely terrible but the not so good outweighs. Kind of a depressing area and honestly, free house or not, I certainly would not take it.

Tarpon Springs, being so small and close to Holiday has a beautiful and artistic, yet very old, Greek and boating community. Port Richey, possibly worse than Holiday in many parts but more to do ( malls n such).

I think over all, the appeal visually isn't there either. Many streets need to be repaved, grasses mowed, houses redone, businesses always coming and going, while other places remain vacant. It needs some work that is for sure.

Port Richey does beat out Hoilday when it comes to drug dealers and crime. It's all bad.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGator View Post
Ok, I can see that there are some emotional concerns wrt to strip clubs etc. But Holiday Lake Estates seems to be a mix of blue collar retirees and blue collar workers. House prices are at an all time low and the rental rate is high (18% by some accounts and I suspect growing). We been through the neighborhood and there are trashy houses scattered about but mostly it seems to be a sleepy lower end subdivision.

I’ve looked at the crime stats, for all practical purposes, it is low. The subdivision is mostly in a A13 flood plain but there are some streets that are “B” and “C” zoned. As stated house prices are low and renter are high. I’ll take the free house… Investing in one is the question.

So putting emotion aside, what are some concrete arguments for and against buying investment property there? Assessments of US 19 was mentioned, are these the emotional concerns or are there actual tax assessments being levied?

Looking for some good, unemotional, analytical thoughts..

PB
------okay, actually the crime rate in this town is the highest in the COUNTRY. Yes, you read that right.. the COUNTRY... of any town and any size from the smallest to the largest.. according to the FBI crime data. 1 in 17 people living here are estimated to be at risk of either a violent crime (rape, assault) or property theft (arson, robbery....) So think twice before you move there. My mom just moved there, in a reasonably decent "looking" neighborhood, and before they were even moved in all the way their house was robbed... in the last week alone, a total of four house have been burgled. yuk. fyi

Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikim36 View Post

Yep, Pretty much all of US 19 from what is now Countryside up almost to Hudson was once nice, and full of old people, including Holiday and PR/NPR. But it's become a real cesspool.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:10 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alirhia123 View Post
------okay, actually the crime rate in this town is the highest in the COUNTRY. Yes, you read that right.. the COUNTRY... of any town and any size from the smallest to the largest.. according to the FBI crime data. 1 in 17 people living here are estimated to be at risk of either a violent crime (rape, assault) or property theft (arson, robbery....) So think twice before you move there. My mom just moved there, in a reasonably decent "looking" neighborhood, and before they were even moved in all the way their house was robbed... in the last week alone, a total of four house have been burgled. yuk. fyi
Crime rates are unreal in my part of west Pasco. Glad i am back in Danashores.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 PM

147 posts, read 354,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alirhia123 View Post
If you don't mind me asking but what was the name of the "decent looking neighborhood" that your mom moved into?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 AM

849 posts, read 2,921,611 times
the only "decent looking" Holiday neighborhoods are: Key Vista, Gulf Trace, and the Sand Bay area off Baille's Bluff. The remainder is pretty much older homes and crime-infested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay