Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 11:44 AM

43 posts, read 75,947 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I may be moving to Tamps for job relocation. I am hoping that you nice people can assist me in pointing me in the right direction in where I should be looking to purchase a house.

Here are a few things that I would need:

* Great Schools - I have a 4 kids, ages 4, , 14 and 17 so elementary, middle school and high school are important. As every parents wants their kids to attend great schools that is very important to us.
Additionally, my 4 year old is on the autism spectrum so I have to ensure they have services for him.

* Housing range $500,000 - $900,000 - looking for a top notch gated community. I wish there was a website that lists all gated communities and the amenities they have to offer and yearly cost.

* Location - I am not familiar with the area at all so any information you can provide regarding: how far to major activities, beaches etc...any information to make the decision easier would be helpful.

* Financial (Banking) employment opportunities - I know Tampa is building out its financial district. Any info would be helpful.

* People - I am born and raised in Queens, NY and would be looking forward to moving where people are just nicer. I am am true New Yorker but we are looking for a change. New Yorkers are very stressed due to high cost of living, terrible commutes, threat of terror attacks. Everything is fast paced.

Can you tell me about the people, I know with out asking they are nicer than people here but are they welcoming to outsiders. Will my kids feel comfortable in the schools, will they be accepted? They are outgoing kids who play sports, they are truly good kids.

What about the adults are they welcoming to making new friends? Do they stick to groups and clicks?

* Entertainment - What do you do for fun? Weeknights? Weekends? I know the Buccaneers, Lightning, Rays are close.

* Weather - I know what I read on the internet but would like to get a true feel from you what the weather is truly like in the area.

* Commuting to work - The job is in Tampa but if I decided to leave and work in Tampa, what would be the avg commute time? I know it depending on where you live but just trying to get an idea of commenting time.

* Colleges - Here is the an important question - Any information regarding this topic would be REALLY helpful.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Kind regards,
Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 01:19 PM

210 posts, read 270,974 times
Newsome and Plant are the top 2 high schools in Hillsborough County if you want to stay on the Tampa side of the bay. Fishhawk ranch might be a good place to start looking. All three schools (elementary, middle and high) are within the top 3 schools in the county, it's a gated community, price point is in line with what you are looking for. Downside is that it's not exactly in the heart of the action, maybe that is appealing to you.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:29 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,296,750 times
Cheval.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:08 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
1.) What area of the country are you moving from?

2.) Why do you want a gated community?

3.) Where is your office/place of work located?

4.) Colleges? What discipline would the student be pursuing?

Some observations from living and working in the area for nearly 25 years:

Gated communities offer no additional safety from crime, if that’s part of your rationale. It’s also been my experience that there is far more of a “caste system” in gated communities.

Schools here relative to other parts of the country simply s*ck. There’s no other way to describe them. Unless you’re an involved parent that is actively partnered with your school, lower your expectations.

Anywhere in Tampa is roughly an hour from a decent beach.

The bulk of the suburbanites here are outsiders. I can only speak from my experience, but the majority of my neighbors have been nice people.

Resources for children with autism are limited. The public schools are not a good place for them, private options are limited and often faith-based (church run).

Professional opportunities typically pay much less than in other parts of the country, often 15%-25% less. Companies have used the “sun and fun” angle to promote living here while paying less for years, however, as the job market becomes more competitive they are starting to gain parity with other areas in some cases.

If someone took you from a typical major city suburb and dropped you into the same here, short of the architecture and flora and fauna you probably wouldn’t know the difference. Understand that living in Florida is not like living on a vacation, we don’t go to the beach or Disney every weekend because we’re doing the same things you are - errands, taking the kids to soccer/music lessons, whatever.

I’m not suggesting your expectations are in this direction, but it’s a very, very common misconception by many people who want to relocate here.

Understand that the huge influx of people over the last 2-3 decades has taken a massive toll on our infrastructure, meaning that roads and other things are woefully inadequate. Areas around me that were once farmland have pretty much disappeared and are now covered by spec homes built by the thousands.

If you come here, come with eyes wide open and you’ll be fine. If you have unrealistic expectations, prepare to be unhappy.

RM

Old 03-02-2020, 06:22 PM

491 posts, read 472,019 times
The fear mongering over the schools, especially a high school like Plant is laughable. As someone who attended public school in the northeast, with enough research about the schools in the area you'll be fine.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
The fear mongering over the schools, especially a high school like Plant is laughable. As someone who attended public school in the northeast, with enough research about the schools in the area you'll be fine.
Certainly there are good schools, such as Plant or Newsome. However, unless you live in their attendance zones, you're not going to get into them. Follow the money, that's where the good schools are, relatively speaking.

As for school quality, just about every resource available that identifies such things places Florida near the bottom. Having worked for Hillsborough County schools and also lived and worked in other parts of the country I can attest to the quality, or lack thereof, of the educational system here. It stinks.

As we used to say when I was teaching in Hillsborough County, "Thank goodness there's Mississippi!"" (or any other state rated poorer than Florida.)

RM

Old 03-03-2020, 06:55 AM

491 posts, read 472,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Certainly there are good schools, such as Plant or Newsome. However, unless you live in their attendance zones, you're not going to get into them. Follow the money, that's where the good schools are, relatively speaking.

As for school quality, just about every resource available that identifies such things places Florida near the bottom. Having worked for Hillsborough County schools and also lived and worked in other parts of the country I can attest to the quality, or lack thereof, of the educational system here. It stinks.

As we used to say when I was teaching in Hillsborough County, "Thank goodness there's Mississippi!"" (or any other state rated poorer than Florida.)

RM
I mean that's true everywhere in the country. What's the criteria for a good school anyways? 7th grade social studies is 7th grade social studies everywhere. The smart kids excel everywhere.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I mean that's true everywhere in the country. What's the criteria for a good school anyways? 7th grade social studies is 7th grade social studies everywhere. The smart kids excel everywhere.
Not true, at least not totally.

The kids who succeed are the ones whose families value education and are engaged with their children's education and the school. Simply packing them off in the morning and greeting them when they come home doesn't do it.

I once worked in a Title 1 school and I saw far more engagement on the part of the parent(s) of children there than I did in a "A" rated school I worked in. The parents of the Title 1 kids knew that education was critical to their children's success in life, so they pushed them and were as engaged as they could be. In the "A" school it was more a matter of dropping the kids off in the morning and picking them up, and who was head of the PTA this year.

You'll have lot of engagement in the "rich" schools, mainly because there is typically a parent who is home and can provide the level of support even a marginal student needs for success, but it's not always about the student. It's often more about involvement with social things, like PTA.

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 03-03-2020 at 08:11 AM..

Old 03-03-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
1.) What area of the country are you moving from?

2.) Why do you want a gated community?

3.) Where is your office/place of work located?

4.) Colleges? What discipline would the student be pursuing?

Some observations from living and working in the area for nearly 25 years:

Gated communities offer no additional safety from crime, if that’s part of your rationale. It’s also been my experience that there is far more of a “caste system” in gated communities.

Schools here relative to other parts of the country simply s*ck. There’s no other way to describe them. Unless you’re an involved parent that is actively partnered with your school, lower your expectations.

Anywhere in Tampa is roughly an hour from a decent beach.

The bulk of the suburbanites here are outsiders. I can only speak from my experience, but the majority of my neighbors have been nice people.

Resources for children with autism are limited. The public schools are not a good place for them, private options are limited and often faith-based (church run).

Professional opportunities typically pay much less than in other parts of the country, often 15%-25% less. Companies have used the “sun and fun” angle to promote living here while paying less for years, however, as the job market becomes more competitive they are starting to gain parity with other areas in some cases.

If someone took you from a typical major city suburb and dropped you into the same here, short of the architecture and flora and fauna you probably wouldn’t know the difference. Understand that living in Florida is not like living on a vacation, we don’t go to the beach or Disney every weekend because we’re doing the same things you are - errands, taking the kids to soccer/music lessons, whatever.

I’m not suggesting your expectations are in this direction, but it’s a very, very common misconception by many people who want to relocate here.

Understand that the huge influx of people over the last 2-3 decades has taken a massive toll on our infrastructure, meaning that roads and other things are woefully inadequate. Areas around me that were once farmland have pretty much disappeared and are now covered by spec homes built by the thousands.

If you come here, come with eyes wide open and you’ll be fine. If you have unrealistic expectations, prepare to be unhappy.

RM

RM,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and care enough to ask follow up questions to assist me and my wife!!

1. Moving from NY, born and raised in Queens and I have lived in Staten Island the last 13 years. Its time for a change!!

2. I have never lived in a gated community but when thinking of moving to Fort Mill, SC and we visited, I love the "subdivison" feel. I could be wrong but I think its easier to meet people at the community functions and get to know your neighbors.

3. It would be at Citigroup - 3800 Citigroup Center

4. My daughter is undecided in her college studies

I understand that living there is not a vacation, just looking for whats best for my family. I work 12 hours a day so I can live in Siberia and it wouldnt matter to me. I do appreciate the honesty regarding the schools as that is a huge factor if I decide to take the position. I need my kids to be happy in a good, safe school. My little guy needs services and if they are truly limited that would heavily factor into me not making the move.

I have done some research on the schools in Florida and they havent gotten good grades or good reviews. That truly worries me and they wife and kids are highest priority.

Thank you and to all for replying and assisting!
Kind regards,
J

Old 03-03-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I do agree but I keep reading negative things about the schools in Florida.
It;s not that my kids go to the Harvard of grammar schools here in NY but I want a good school, safe, fun etc... just want the kids to be happy.

Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay