U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 11:32 AM

15 posts, read 7,656 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice for 50 year old couple moving to the area from the midwest.
We've stayed there several times, so we know the basics, but any advice from someone that has done this relocation would be appreciated.
We will probably buy a single family home - we seem to like island estates.
We're both work from home, will buy a small boat for cruises and frequent the restaurants.
Thank in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 12:06 PM
Status: "If you want change, BECOME a Cop. Dare ya!" (set 19 days ago)

861 posts, read 151,713 times
Do not stay on the Island Estates side of the bridge. Traffic will be a complete nightmare for you to do anything at all. I lived on that side and it got to the point of just not wanting to leave the house. Stay on the east side of the bridge - the mainland side.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:14 PM

I understand, but we really want to be within walking/bike riding distance to the beach.
We don't plan on going into Clearwater mainland very much.
When is the traffic so horrible? I haven't seen it yet and I've been there in Jan and Nov.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmchn View Post
I understand, but we really want to be within walking/bike riding distance to the beach.
We don't plan on going into Clearwater mainland very much.
When is the traffic so horrible? I haven't seen it yet and I've been there in Jan and Nov.
You will need to go to stores, especially grocery stores. That will be a nightmare. If you have to be within walking distance of the beach then you may want to consider beaches further south. That way you will have more routes to use to come and go. The problem with Clearwater Beach is pretty much one way in and one way out for thousands of people per day pretty much every day once we are done this Covid issue.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:16 PM

Isn't there a Publix right on Island Estates??

Old 05-08-2020, 05:20 PM

16,117 posts, read 10,915,619 times
Quote:
Isn't there a Publix right on Island Estates??
Ya there was in the 80's and i guess it is still there. During spring break jake you will wish you never moved here.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:51 PM

6,689 posts, read 7,213,851 times
We have friends that have lived on Island Estates for years...yes during spring break it's a nightmare going over causeway...however you work from home so it should be tolerable...It's a lovely community but not cheap for a single-family home with a dock!

Old 05-09-2020, 08:43 AM

I can deal with a few weeks of spring breakers - I was part of the problem for plenty of years...
I do realize that its expensive, but it seems like the best beach community that we can find on the gulf side, so you have to pay for that.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I can deal with a few weeks of spring breakers - I was part of the problem for plenty of years...
I do realize that its expensive, but it seems like the best beach community that we can find on the gulf side, so you have to pay for that.
It is much more than a few weeks of just spring breakers. But you seem to have your mind made up based on visiting a couple times so have at it. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:49 AM

643 posts, read 467,461 times
Consider buying a house boat to live in.
There goes your traffic problem. Except out on the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or