U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 5,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
It’s literally right next to the ghetto. You have to pass through the worst part of St. Pete to get to it. South St. Pete gets a bit of a bad rap but some of it is warranted. Coquina Key is very beautiful and pretty upscale but I’d be very weary of some of the crime trickling over. There’s a reason it’s cheaper the other waterfront communities.

Thanks for that info, helps out a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 11:10 AM

16,109 posts, read 10,915,619 times
You will hate the weather heather.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:23 PM

10 posts, read 5,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post

My name is not Heather.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings10 View Post
My name is not Heather.
But you will hate our dew points in the summer and it will be a bummer since you are used to Cali weather. Walk outside at 6am and get slapped in the face with a dew point of 80+ and temps over 81f with winds blowing off of nasty 90 degree water temps. So just be ready freddie.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:11 PM

88 posts, read 34,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings10 View Post
Yea it's so bad here, we can't wait to get out!
We moved from the Chicago Suburbs to the Crisp Park area (next to Old Northeast in St Petersburg) 28 years ago. Some adjustments were made yes> When I stopped comparing certain things to my old town I was more at ease. Florida is beautiful and you get use to the hot humid summers. The rest of the year is beautiful. I think you would like Old Northeast>Patricia Point>maybe Shore Acres>Snell Isle. They all require flood insurance. We went to a shelter once in 28 years for Hurricane Irma. ( Bought a generator after that) The city keeps the parks beautiful. When family from Chicago have visited us over the years we would go to the Kennedy Space Center, Bush Gardens, Key West, Disney attractions,a suite right on the beach>>etc. So different from our Midwest vacations. We have great state parks here to explore. You will see Dolphins along the water.>>And as an added bonus>>I love our Governor>>>

Old 05-17-2020, 08:11 AM

200 posts, read 86,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
To really enjoy the Florida weather/lifestyle I think you need a caged pool attached to your house. Do something outside, work up a sweat, hop in the pool, rinse and repeat.

A community pool isn't the same thing.

With a $1M ceiling I'd think the OP could afford a pool large enough for a family of four.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
To really enjoy the Florida weather/lifestyle I think you need a caged pool attached to your house. Do something outside, work up a sweat, hop in the pool, rinse and repeat.

A community pool isn't the same thing.

With a $1M ceiling I'd think the OP could afford a pool large enough for a family of four.
Last time i swum was in 1981. Our weather has changed so much since i started keeping records in 1978. Much hotter fall thru springs and higher dew points in the summer thanks to a west windflow most all of the summer.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:26 AM
Status: "If you want change, BECOME a Cop. Dare ya!" (set 18 days ago)

861 posts, read 151,713 times
Having your own pool is key. The gulf waters are between 88-90 degrees in the summer. I heat my pool to 94 degrees. Not the spa, but the pool. Buy a home with your own pool so you can control the temp to what works for you.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:32 AM

6,274 posts, read 7,467,288 times
We are looking to buy a vacation home in FL. But if I was planning on keeping that home for a long time, wouldn't it be better to buy something a little be farther from the shore at a slightly higher elevation? Perhaps 1 mile or so to avoid potential flooding from either hurricanes or climate change?

I have always wanted to live on the beach, but now that purchasing property is becoming more a reality for my family, I am thinking long term. I imagine flood planes and zones would be important here.

1 million is a lot to sink into a home when there is risk for flooding. Or maybe that is not a concern for the OP.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:21 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,945 posts, read 4,191,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
We are looking to buy a vacation home in FL. But if I was planning on keeping that home for a long time, wouldn't it be better to buy something a little be farther from the shore at a slightly higher elevation? Perhaps 1 mile or so to avoid potential flooding from either hurricanes or climate change?

I have always wanted to live on the beach, but now that purchasing property is becoming more a reality for my family, I am thinking long term. I imagine flood planes and zones would be important here.

1 million is a lot to sink into a home when there is risk for flooding. Or maybe that is not a concern for the OP.
Some things to consider:

One mile doesn't make you safe from flooding. There are thousands, if not more, homes well inland that are in flood zones from arterial streams and other sources of flooding.

With the changes in the Federal flood insurance program, premiums have become more realistic in the standpoint that the more risk you have, the higher your premiums are going to be. The relationship between the two hasn't always been present in the program, but now the bulk of the liability is going to be shifted to where it should be - homes purposely built in flood zones. Annual premiums of thousands of dollars aren't unrealistic.

Look at the flood maps for various hurricane levels in Hillsborough County (Tampa) and see what I mean:

https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/l...ap-english.pdf

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or