Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 04:20 PM

156 posts, read 174,008 times

Advertisements

As someone mentioned already, Florida is such an upgrade from SoCal. St. Petersburg and the greater Tampa Bay in particular are one of THE best spots you could choose in Florida, so kudos to you.
Cost of living is so much less, so affordability will be a big plus.. Great areas other than downtown would be Snell Isle, Largo, Dunedin, St. Pete Beach, Treasure Island, Indian Rocks Beach, Belleair, and Seminole.. I also LOVE Pass-a-Grille Beach, check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 08:11 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,565,694 times
What do you think about this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/Florida-Move-...9808737&sr=8-1

Old 05-18-2020, 08:40 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,565,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Some things to consider:

One mile doesn't make you safe from flooding. There are thousands, if not more, homes well inland that are in flood zones from arterial streams and other sources of flooding.

With the changes in the Federal flood insurance program, premiums have become more realistic in the standpoint that the more risk you have, the higher your premiums are going to be. The relationship between the two hasn't always been present in the program, but now the bulk of the liability is going to be shifted to where it should be - homes purposely built in flood zones. Annual premiums of thousands of dollars aren't unrealistic.

Look at the flood maps for various hurricane levels in Hillsborough County (Tampa) and see what I mean:

https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/l...ap-english.pdf

RM
Thank you for providing this.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:19 PM

235 posts, read 208,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings10 View Post
Thanks for the info Sir. We're gonna buy and not rent. I'd prefer one move and get settled in.
Hard to rent with a big family just to move again. We have never rented even though everyone said to rent first when we moved to Florida 28 years ago. With 2 dogs and 3 kids we chose to buy a house just viewing pictures and videos etc. Didnt expect our house in the Chicago area to sell in 8 days. We were lucky we had family in the area so they knew what the neighborhoods were like. Our thoughts were you can always update a house but a not a bad location. Good Luck. P.S. We are still in the same house( plus an addition) Love this area near Old Northeast.
I also read a book similar to the one mentioned and it was true. I missed my sisters and my friends and the seasons etc. But after I got a job here and met awesome people from all over the US it helped me see that I was mostly around (like) people back home and I learned so much moving to Florida. People are great here.

Last edited by CLEOPATRAZEUS; 05-18-2020 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-18-2020, 04:47 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Welcome. Having lived in this area for a few years... if money were no object, to the point where I had a budget of 1M, I would probably pick something like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...47111897_zpid/

Old Northeast-St. Petersburg would be my absolute first thought. Keep in mind I like cities and being able to enjoy a walkable lifestyle. This place looks move-in ready, well under budget, very walkable to the businesses on 4th Street and even to Downtown, and in a stately safe area, with a decent district that it is zoned for. I would consider Tampa too, but, given that I have a budget of 1M, I'm also pretty sure I could afford private schools then (IDR if the OP mentioned having kids or not).

The Old Northeast, in my opinion, is this area's residential ideal, at least for someone that likes cities reasonably. It's not going to feel like SoCal at all, coming from there, even though there is plenty to do (arts, sports, parks, etc.) it will feel more like a "big small town".

You are effectively less than a 15 minute walk from downtown from this point-there are bigger and more exclusive properties that are still within your budget further north-but this one gets location down, still feels secluded, and is well within your range. I would focus my search here. You are also only a 15 minute walk from the water here-Vinoy Park is North America's 3rd longest urban waterfront. And, you are like a 15 minute drive to the coast from this point, too.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2020, 07:01 AM

57 posts, read 61,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
We are looking to buy a vacation home in FL. But if I was planning on keeping that home for a long time, wouldn't it be better to buy something a little be farther from the shore at a slightly higher elevation? Perhaps 1 mile or so to avoid potential flooding from either hurricanes or climate change?

I have always wanted to live on the beach, but now that purchasing property is becoming more a reality for my family, I am thinking long term. I imagine flood planes and zones would be important here.

1 million is a lot to sink into a home when there is risk for flooding. Or maybe that is not a concern for the OP.
I certainly remember you as the resident of the Prince Georges County forum.

I always envisioned being a permanent resident of Bowie, Maryland and would keep up with your post regularly on local development. Visited Tampa 2012 and slowly acclimated to loving the area. Purchased property in Tampa recently inland outside of a flood zone. Love the area. I would take the area of Tampa over any other Florida city.

In process with a build in Tampa so I continue to have residence here in Maryland. Leaving Prince Georges County is a milestone for me. Again, never imagined leaving. The county is certainly making progress but will not miss the cold seasons. Besides so much more to do in Tampa relative to what the county and surrounding region has to offer here.

Good luck with your search on a vacation home

Last edited by rgnx; 05-19-2020 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-19-2020, 11:38 AM

10 posts, read 12,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Welcome. Having lived in this area for a few years... if money were no object, to the point where I had a budget of 1M, I would probably pick something like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...47111897_zpid/

Old Northeast-St. Petersburg would be my absolute first thought. Keep in mind I like cities and being able to enjoy a walkable lifestyle. This place looks move-in ready, well under budget, very walkable to the businesses on 4th Street and even to Downtown, and in a stately safe area, with a decent district that it is zoned for. I would consider Tampa too, but, given that I have a budget of 1M, I'm also pretty sure I could afford private schools then (IDR if the OP mentioned having kids or not).

The Old Northeast, in my opinion, is this area's residential ideal, at least for someone that likes cities reasonably. It's not going to feel like SoCal at all, coming from there, even though there is plenty to do (arts, sports, parks, etc.) it will feel more like a "big small town".

You are effectively less than a 15 minute walk from downtown from this point-there are bigger and more exclusive properties that are still within your budget further north-but this one gets location down, still feels secluded, and is well within your range. I would focus my search here. You are also only a 15 minute walk from the water here-Vinoy Park is North America's 3rd longest urban waterfront. And, you are like a 15 minute drive to the coast from this point, too.

Good luck!

Thanks for the good info! We want to be on the water with our own dock though.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:25 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings10 View Post
Thanks for the good info! We want to be on the water with our own dock though.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...46977611_zpid/
This looks like it would qualify, then. And still be somewhat in that vicinity with the Walkability, Safety, etc benefits.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:06 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,305 times
Poster who mentioned IRB has a fair point, the beach is right there, you can get waterfront on boating water and be close to beaches. Keep an eye on schools for wherever you go, I was amused as I was looking at a gorgeous upscale condo yesterday on the MLS, for 2m+ that it was zoned for Campbell Park Elem, not really a good school sadly. Many of our neighborhoods border on poorer areas, which are not necessarily dangerous, peoples skin color or ethnicity doesn't make them all dangerous, but a lot of poorer homes and blue collar areas are butt up against the places with great homes. Where I now live I would not necessary have moved to 10 yrs ago, I may have purchased speculatively with a view that prices so close to downtown would rise, they have, and I have seen a 20% increase in value in my house in 3 yrs. These poorer areas do affect school zones, a lot of single parent families or families that don't see the value in education, or simply don't have that education themselves to realize that its a way out of the situation live there and the ripple down effect goes into schools. Sad but true. Anyway, my advice, when you can come here and feel comfortable with exploring - visit, stay more than a weekend, its not enough for a realtor to show you the county, the options and allow yourselves freedom to drive and roam the neighborhoods personally. Talk to locals, (preferably ones who have lived locally a while and maybe with younger children who will have opinions on schools.). Folks will shout about the awfulness of Pinellas and Florida schools in general, but I have nothing but good to say about them, ours went through public schools, both in Seminole and St Pete, both graduated from college and are living and working in careers and doing well. The schools do reflect the parental input for sure. I would say downtown St Pete is fabulous, the waterfront properties are possible under $1m as I have just worked with buyers who have purchased a decent home updated on deep water for under $700K it a little out of downtown though. There is so much to do around this waterfront city. The beaches are gorgeous too, depends on what you want. Outdoor activity is plentiful all over the county, parks, bike trails, watersports, picnicking, camping even at Fort De Soto park, wherever you fetch up, you can access that easily. Good luck with your search, hope you find your spot!

Old 05-25-2020, 05:09 PM

346 posts, read 308,174 times
I saw the Californication in St Pete and imo it was making it worse. More expensive, yuppie attitudes. And it still didnt get rid of existing problems. To anyone from CA or say Seattle pr Portland who want to move to St Pete, stay home. I seen your area before and its a mess youd just be bringing to the new area. And Carls Jr aint coming or El Pollo Loco.

It sounds like even in the midst of a pandemic, yuppies still think theyre gonna live the life they used to. And buy in a new place while living the same lifestyle they did in the old one and also.. Dont bring your kids. Last thing anyone needs are west coast young families with their kids flooding an area.

Again seen it from personal experience. Florida if its not for old people should be a state for young singles to meet and have fun. Not have more whitebread families coming in bringing 0 culture with them. Id rather have the older people tbh.

K.End rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay