U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 10:06 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,778,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
45 minutes from downtown on a good day. I think the average when things can back to normal is 1 hr. I tested it when thinking on moving to Wesley Chapel in 2017 near the Advent Hospital and I use to work downtown. I could not handle 45 minutes with light traffic around 4pm. Imagine 5 or 530. 275 North out of downtown is hell!

Imagine as those communities keep getting new families moving in. Then even more communities opening up these next few years. Then everyone gets to pick their poison, the veterans or 75. Then each house getting two three cars since nothing is in walking distance. Same thing playing out in south Hillsborough. Hillsborough/Pasco and Hillsborough/Manatee both those border areas are building up fast. I would not want to be a part of that in 5 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 10:35 AM
Status: "If you want change, BECOME a Cop. Dare ya!" (set 19 days ago)

861 posts, read 151,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Imagine as those communities keep getting new families moving in. Then even more communities opening up these next few years. Then everyone gets to pick their poison, the veterans or 75. Then each house getting two three cars since nothing is in walking distance. Same thing playing out in south Hillsborough. Hillsborough/Pasco and Hillsborough/Manatee both those border areas are building up fast. I would not want to be a part of that in 5 yrs.
Something for everyone. Everyone has different priorities for sure. I would not want to have to commute either, but some people don't mind it. Different strokes as they say.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:50 PM

925 posts, read 2,332,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
Thanks for the info. How about Dunedin or Safety Harbor?
Dunedin would take you a half hour just to get to where you would start in Safety Harbor.
Safety Harbor has two routes to Tampa. The Courtney Campbell Causeway and north through Oldsmar.
If you are north end of Safety Harbor you'd likely prefer Oldsmar route.

Where exactly you are going in Tampa makes a difference. I drive from South end of Safety Harbor to near the airport in 20-30 minutes every day around 7 am and about the same home at 3-3:30 ish. If i am a bit late either way that grows to 45 minutes in a hurry.
The route across the causeway hits some crazy traffic spots going from the Airport into downtown.

Best bet is to do some exact Google Map directions between two points. You can see google to show you the directions for a specific time of departure or arrival. It will give a range that you want to up a bit cuz traffic is lower right now.

Old 05-19-2020, 01:35 PM

827 posts, read 230,985 times
I'd live in Wesley Chapel Good and retired...No commuting to any work place from there.

If you work in Tampa, put up with Tampa and live close to work, same with every Work Hub in the Nation and State. There is a time for all the stages in life, I personally would not drive more than 10 mls to go to my job...I get a place and hr or 2 away from Tampa for weekends, where I can eventually move when the Work Sentence expires, but wasting 2-3 hrs a day commuting to a job is NOT a Life for anyone.

People live today, 'cause tomorrow could be too late.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:38 PM

201 posts, read 227,877 times
Thanks for all the input. This is a potential job and Tampa is one of the locations I could relocate to. Would only require 2-3 days in the office per week with telecommute the rest. I think many businesses are moving toward that. Seems like maybe south tampa is the way to go but my kid plays ice hockey and then it’s be a bear of a commute getting him to a rink 3 days a week. Not sure there is a correct answer here

Old 05-19-2020, 04:37 PM
KPB

1,497 posts, read 1,067,835 times
Better buy a house w/ a pad for a helicopter.
Or live on a lake you can land a plane on.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:13 AM

Ok, I am going to take a different approach. Commute would be to an office on Harbour Island 2-3 days per week. Would either want a walkable area (to parks, restaurants, etc.) or in a planned community with amenities (clubhouse, etc.). Needs to be near an ice rink. 2,500 sq ft pool house under $800k. Any suggestions on where to live would be appreciated.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:54 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,945 posts, read 4,191,551 times
Quote:
Ok, I am going to take a different approach. Commute would be to an office on Harbour Island 2-3 days per week. Would either want a walkable area (to parks, restaurants, etc.) or in a planned community with amenities (clubhouse, etc.). Needs to be near an ice rink. 2,500 sq ft pool house under $800k. Any suggestions on where to live would be appreciated.
Only ice rink around here is in Brandon, so I would suggest Fishhawk Ranch. 30-40 minute commute depending on time of day.

RM

Old 05-20-2020, 11:34 AM

There are rinks in Oldsmar, Clearwater, Wesley Chapel and Brandon.

What about the La Collina development in Brandon? Or Highland Park? Any thoughts from anyone on that commute and quality of life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Only ice rink around here is in Brandon, so I would suggest Fishhawk Ranch. 30-40 minute commute depending on time of day.

RM

Last edited by jonthedream; 05-20-2020 at 11:57 AM..

Old 05-20-2020, 12:08 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,945 posts, read 4,191,551 times
Quote:
There are rinks in Oldsmar, Clearwater, Wesley Chapel and Brandon.

What about the La Collina development in Brandon? Any thoughts from anyone on that commute and quality of life?
I knew about Wesley Chapel, but not the others. They would be prohibitively distant anyway, unless you're looking for a 1+ hour commute depending on the time of day.

I'll say this about Brandon:

It is a kaleidoscope of properties, developments, retail and schools, collectively lousy. Traffic is horrible, development is out of control (as it is all over the county) You can have a development of new construction surrounded by an area of 1950s-60s bungalows. Schools are marginal if that matters. On the northern portion you're bordering some pretty skeezy areas.

I would not recommend it myself. I'm not saying it's bad, but I would seriously research the area you're interested in before considering it.

As for La Collina, it's in a really lousy place logistically for the area because of the intersection it's next to. Schools are not great, but not bad, elementary is decent but middle and high schools are marginal. The commute to downtown wouldn't be bad as you can shoot right down Lumsden and onto the Brandon Parkway and Selmon Expressway. You're probably 15-20 minutes from the hockey rink in Brandon.

There are better places in the area with similar commutes, relative to schools and logistics.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or